HYPOTHETICAL Scholarship Discussion

TTman7

12 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Since when is Alabama a “one university state?” You do know there is another traditional top 15 team there don’t you? 

You are correct. I guess I assumed in this hypothetical that given the choice, most of the top talent would choose Bama. If AUBURN were to split the talent, I don't think there would be enough talent for both schools to be dominant. 

3 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

and UAB has climbed into a nice position...along with Auburn and Alabama...then other smaller schools like West Alabama, etc

one of the caveats that this discussion would bring to light actually, if something like this could/would ever even sniff the light of day...think of the current FCS schools, NAIA, D2, and though it might blow some away...three or four money wealthy and prominent D3 programs that may file all the paperwork and go D1 because they will be able to recruit and offer scholarships in state and compete head up if they pump in some cash, that many have been dropping into their endowments for decades.

If it came down to players having to stay in State, Auburn will drop off quite a bit.  Auburn recruits south Georgia heavily.

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

What you guys are missing is those 30 top 100 recruits out of the state of Texas is only going to go to 2 schools.  TCU, Texas Tech, Houston, etc will become dumpster fires IMO

No I’m factoring that. What I’m saying is I don’t believe it works out where one school gets the top 20 or so and the other gets the other gets 20-40 etc. I believe it’s more like the top in state school at the time school gets players 1, 3, 6,7,11,12,16,18,22,24 etc, all while LSU is truly getting the top 20 players in Louisiana. I personally just think Louisiana’s top 20 is better than a team getting ~50% of the Texas top 20 and ~50% of the top 20-50. I’m saying I think Louisiana’s players ranked 10-20 are better than Texas players ranked 30-50. 

You’re also assuming there’s be 20 blue chippers in Louisiana every year.  LSU has had to recruit Texas and the Southeast to finish their classes out for years.  That’s why I said there’s 10-15 high end recruits there every year.  I’d guess the average would be in low teens without going back and looking.  Yes they’d have a year mixed in here and there with a higher amount, say 20, but I doubt it’d be every year.

15 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You’re also assuming there’s be 20 blue chippers in Louisiana every year.  LSU has had to recruit Texas and the Southeast to finish their classes out for years.  That’s why I said there’s 10-15 high end recruits there every year.  I’d guess the average would be in low teens without going back and looking.  Yes they’d have a year mixed in here and there with a higher amount, say 20, but I doubt it’d be every year.

I’m not talking about just recruiting rankings. There are tons of extremely overrated Texas kids every year along with tons of extremely underrated Louisiana  kids every year. There’s lots of Texas kids that would be 3 stars in any other state but get 4 star bumps and lots of Louisiana kids that are high 3 stars that would be 4 stars had they played in Texas. 

8 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

This actually addressed what I talk about in terms of some states just getting more exposure than others. But let’s say Louisiana gets all 15 of those blue chips in 2019, and texas splits it’s 48 among let’s say the 5 power 5 teams. So it would look something like Texas-17A&M-17 Tech-6 TCU-4Baylor-4.That’s a very fair estimate imo with maybe a couple of players give or take on the A&M and Teams teams. It wouldn’t be as simple as Texas and A&M filling up and the other teams get the rest.  So essentially we are saying that just in terms of recruiting ranking blue chips, it’s fairly even depth wise between the top Texas schools and Louisiana schools. Where I think Louisianas advantage lies is that they are getting ALL the blue chips from every position where as the Texas teams are splitting them. A&M might get all the blue chip DTs in the state that year, while Texas doesn’t get one. Meanwhile Texas got 3 of the 4 Blue chip corners and A&M didn’t get one. 

I believe LSU would recruit more consistent depth overall (especially linebackers and DTs) and would be the better team any given Saturday because of the type of players Louisiana produces compared to Texas. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I’m not talking about just recruiting rankings. There are tons of extremely overrated Texas kids every year along with tons of extremely underrated Louisiana  kids every year. There’s lots of Texas kids that would be 3 stars in any other state but get 4 star bumps and lots of Louisiana kids that are high 3 stars that would be 4 stars had they played in Texas. 

So there’s not any Texas kids that get underranked?

52 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So there’s not any Texas kids that get underranked?

Did you hear me say that? 

Look man you clearly don’t agree and that’s fine, but I’ve given you plenty of sound logic to back my opinion. And it is just my opinion. There’s no sense in trying to convince you to agree anymore than I already have. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Did you hear me say that? 

Look man you clearly don’t agree and that’s fine, but I’ve given you plenty of sound logic to back my opinion. And it is just my opinion. There’s no sense in trying to convince you to agree anymore than I already have. 

You stated that Louisiana kids could be underrated and that Texas kids are typically bumped because they’re from Texas.  

I would venture to say that in louisiana if there’s 20 kids that are top notch talent good enough to be recruited by several teams around.  On an annual basis I would venture to say that Texas would double that maybe triple that depending on the year.  As I said that year in and year out the state of Louisiana produces more talent per capita (I hope you understand the meaning of that).   Yes there are diamonds to be found in Louisiana, but for every one you could list you could prolly find two from Texas.  It’s sheer numbers for that reason.  That’s all.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

You stated that Louisiana kids could be underrated and that Texas kids are typically bumped because they’re from Texas.  

I would venture to say that in louisiana if there’s 20 kids that are top notch talent good enough to be recruited by several teams around.  On an annual basis I would venture to say that Texas would double that maybe triple that depending on the year.  As I said that year in and year out the state of Louisiana produces more talent per capita (I hope you understand the meaning of that).   Yes there are diamonds to be found in Louisiana, but for every one you could list you could prolly find two from Texas.  It’s sheer numbers for that reason.  That’s all.

I said there lots of overrated players in Texas. Not that everyone is. 

And yes if 20 or so kids in Louisiana are top notch, Texas has double or triple that. I’m not arguing that. What I’m arguing is that there are 5-6 teams in Texas that would be legitimate options for those triple(60 kids) so I do not believe A&M and Texas would get quite as high of ratio of the top guys in their state as LSU would get in its. The sheer numbers argument you speak of is great, but the numbers of legitimate options for those numbers is 5 or 6 times higher than that of those kids in Louisiana. I know full well what talent per capita is, but I’m not sure you are understanding what it means to have more kids but also more options. But I know what this is. You think Texas would take the top 20 kids every year and A&M would get the 20-40 and Tech, TCU, Baylor and Houston would fight for scraps. In that world yes I do believe Texas would be right up there with LSU. But that’s not how it would play out. Texas and A&M would most likely split the top 48 kids (the number of blue chips in the state) with probably 8-10 or so of that top group choosing to go to to the other schools in state for various reasons. The point I’m trying to make (which you clearly don’t understand) is that would you bet the future of your program that let’s say 20 of the top 50 from Texas is better than the top 20 kids in Louisiana. I would not. But that’s just me. 

I’m also not looking at this from a recruiting rankings only type argument. Look at the players at an individual level. Louisiana kids that have come out the last decade or so are on average better defensive players. Texas just simply doesn’t produce linebackers anymore. Defensive lineman and guards from Louisiana have also had a better hit rate than Texas guys the last few years imo as well. The quality of player in Texas is just not the same at certain positions. Texas puts out very good offensive players, but the true difference makers on defense of Texas kids lately is few and far between. LSU is turning them out better right now. This why I believe in this scenario if I’m a HC building a team under these conditions, I value Louisiana higher than Texas (only because its split where one is whole.) 

38 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I said there lots of overrated players in Texas. Not that everyone is. 

And yes if 20 or so kids in Louisiana are top notch, Texas has double or triple that. I’m not arguing that. What I’m arguing is that there are 5-6 teams in Texas that would be legitimate options for those triple(60 kids) so I do not believe A&M and Texas would get quite as high of ratio of the top guys in their state as LSU would get in its. The sheer numbers argument you speak of is great, but the numbers of legitimate options for those numbers is 5 or 6 times higher than that of those kids in Louisiana. I know full well what talent per capita is, but I’m not sure you are understanding what it means to have more kids but also more options. But I know what this is. You think Texas would take the top 20 kids every year and A&M would get the 20-40 and Tech, TCU, Baylor and Houston would fight for scraps. In that world yes I do believe Texas would be right up there with LSU. But that’s not how it would play out. Texas and A&M would most likely split the top 48 kids (the number of blue chips in the state) with probably 8-10 or so of that top group choosing to go to to the other schools in state for various reasons. The point I’m trying to make (which you clearly don’t understand) is that would you bet the future of your program that let’s say 20 of the top 50 from Texas is better than the top 20 kids in Louisiana. I would not. But that’s just me. 

But those schools aren’t vying for the top Texas kids now and there’s no rule saying they have to stay in state.   The kids that are leaving the state at this moment.....90%+ would be going to Texas and aTm.  

I dont think Texas would best aTm for the top 20, they aren’t now and I didn’t state as much.  Texas and aTm would fight each other for the biggest portion of the top 40 kids IMO.  

I would say texas would have at least twice as many if not more of the same caliber of louisiana’s Top 20.  Does LSU take 20 kids from Louisiana every year?  

40 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m also not looking at this from a recruiting rankings only type argument. Look at the players at an individual level. Louisiana kids that have come out the last decade or so are on average better defensive players. Texas just simply doesn’t produce linebackers anymore. Defensive lineman and guards from Louisiana have also had a better hit rate than Texas guys the last few years imo as well. The quality of player in Texas is just not the same at certain positions. Texas puts out very good offensive players, but the true difference makers on defense of Texas kids lately is few and far between. LSU is turning them out better right now. This why I believe in this scenario if I’m a HC building a team under these conditions, I value Louisiana higher than Texas (only because its split where one is whole.) 

And likewise, when was the last QB from Louisiana that was decent?  

30 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

But those schools aren’t vying for the top Texas kids now and there’s no rule saying they have to stay in state.   The kids that are leaving the state at this moment.....90%+ would be going to Texas and aTm.  

I dont think Texas would best aTm for the top 20, they aren’t now and I didn’t state as much.  Texas and aTm would fight each other for the biggest portion of the top 40 kids IMO.  

I would say texas would have at least twice as many if not more of the same caliber of louisiana’s Top 20.  Does LSU take 20 kids from Louisiana every year?  

But if there was a rule in place, what if those kids that are going to Bama and LSU and OU don’t like A&M or Texas and that’s why they left the state? Your logic is flawed. You assume that every kid that typically leaves the state would automatically choose A&M or Texas over One of the other’s. And yes some might, but it wouldn’t be every kid and some would go to the other schools instead of out of state. 

You can’t play the top 20 in Louisiana right now because this rule isn’t real. I was using a hypothetical. LSU doesn’t have to take the top 20 in their state because they are cherry picking Mississippi and Texas for kids they want. 

And just because LSU doesn’t coach QBs well, doesn’t mean there isn’t a couple of adequate ones in the state. And I clearly said there were positions in Texas that were better. You are arguing just to argue. We have different opinions on the matter. You have your idea and I have mine. 

2019 - 25 signees/ 10 from La

2018 - 22 signees/ 12 from La

2017 - 24 signees/ 9 from La

2016 - 24 signees/ 17 from La

2015 - 25 signees/ 13 from La

this to me shows how much LSU depends on OOS talent the last 5 classes.  I’d imagine those la kids were some of the best the state had to offer.  Sure some la kids prolly went OOS too.  Malcolm Roach went to Texas, the safety that ticked his purple and gold haired mom off went to Bama.  Prolly several more too.    If LSU has to depend strictly on Louisiana kids they’d prolly end up taking some 3-4 year projects, strictly depth builders, etc....  I don’t think they’d end up with the depth needed

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

But if there was a rule in place, what if those kids that are going to Bama and LSU and OU don’t like A&M or Texas and that’s why they left the state? Your logic is flawed. You assume that every kid that typically leaves the state would automatically choose A&M or Texas over One of the other’s. And yes some might, but it wouldn’t be every kid and some would go to the other schools instead of out of state. 

You can’t play the top 20 in Louisiana right now because this rule isn’t real. I was using a hypothetical. LSU doesn’t have to take the top 20 in their state because they are cherry picking Mississippi and Texas for kids they want. 

And just because LSU doesn’t coach QBs well, doesn’t mean there isn’t a couple of adequate ones in the state. And I clearly said there were positions in Texas that were better. You are arguing just to argue. We have different opinions on the matter. You have your idea and I have mine. 

You don’t assume they’d pick the best two places to go in state?  I feel confident that the DT that went to Bama, or the OT that went to Ole miss would’nt have  picked Baylor or Tech over Texas or aTm.  Sure you might have one or two from time to time.  Some might have to strictly due to numbers.

same can be said for your arguments.  Just because the state of Texas isn’t known for LB play doesn’t mean there aren’t athletes that can translate to the position in college.  

When has a louisiana qb made it anywhere at the next level

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Dak Prescott

Jake Delhome

Weren’t the Booty boys LA products? 

Theres plenty of guys who are productive in college. Maybe not heisman winners, but plenty of guys who could lead a college team, especially in a scenario where they are surrounded by the best in state talent.