UPDATE: Palestine hires Lance Angel

hoops4ever

2 hours ago, toohottohandle said:

We have been hearing that for years.

I know but there are teams loaded with talent who under achieve every year. This place is all about coaching and can you harness the athleticism that they possess. 

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

Have an interim for the year?

Yea but if he does the job he can keep it. gives you more time to find the right guy. you can put out a job search this year but may not turn up who you want.

You guys crack me up.  Not a clue.  Carthage, Henderson, Kilgore, and Van are the four things that keep Palestine from long-term success.  They do not have the athletes to compete year in and year out with this district.  Sorry.  There is only so much "discipline" can add to Palestine.  These schools are disciplined and way more athletic top the bottom and well-coached.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, FootballFan2019 said:

You guys crack me up.  Not a clue.  Carthage, Henderson, Kilgore, and Van are the four things that keep Palestine from long-term success.  They do not have the athletes to compete year in and year out with this district.  Sorry.  There is only so much "discipline" can add to Palestine.  These schools are disciplined and way more athletic top the bottom and well-coached.  

UNITED WE STAND - DIVIDED WE FALL

Palestine has plenty of talent to compete against any school in their district !

Population for:

Palestine - 18,712

Kilgore - 14,782 

Henderson - 13,712

Carthage - 6,581

Van - 2,728

These schools aren’t more talented than Palestine’s kids, they’re not bigger, they aren’t faster. Carthage - Kilgore- Henderson- & Van kids arn’t 10’ tall and bulletproof either. Anyone who thinks that we just seem to have inferior talent in this town vs the other towns isn’t even close to making a rational argument. Better coaching and consistent discipline are two important variables that separate Palestine from the pack for sure. But those issues could be fixed with the right coach, that’s unarguable! But the biggest difference that will always keep Palestine from competing with these schools consistently is much deeper, it’s 1 simple but VERY BIG variable. Palestine has 2 high schools and the others towns have 1 !!!!! We have the largest population in the district but have divided our talent pool up since Westwood opened the doors in 1964. Not trying to make this an excuse for not having a winning program, look what Carthage has done with their small talent pool - good job Carthage.  I simply want to bring this important variable to everyone’s attention. I just don’t like hearing that Palestine doesn’t have the athletes to compete simply because it is a ridiculous statement. The talent is present and accounted for, I assure you, but as long as we have 2 high schools, we will always be a divided community. Unfortunately for both schools in Palestine, all they will ever be able to accomplish with the current situation are flashes of what could be !!! Which is a promising season every once in a blue moon!!! It’s the divided community that hurts this town the most, we are divided in every way imaginable. You would have to live or have lived in Palestine to understand just how deep this division truly separates this community. Our football program is just an example of this division. As the phrase goes              UNITED WE STAND - DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

• LOL! 1

Guest Tiger03lb

Having any kids from Westwood will not up your chances at all in football. They may have 1 maybe 2 athletes a year but it takes a team to be great. The first part of what you are saying is spot on but I'll have to disagree on the last part. 

2 hours ago, eddhut said:

UNITED WE STAND - DIVIDED WE FALL

Palestine has plenty of talent to compete against any school in their district !

Population for:

Palestine - 18,712

Kilgore - 14,782 

Henderson - 13,712

Carthage - 6,581

Van - 2,728

These schools aren’t more talented than Palestine’s kids, they’re not bigger, they aren’t faster. Carthage - Kilgore- Henderson- & Van kids arn’t 10’ tall and bulletproof either. Anyone who thinks that we just seem to have inferior talent in this town vs the other towns isn’t even close to making a rational argument. Better coaching and consistent discipline are two important variables that separate Palestine from the pack for sure. But those issues could be fixed with the right coach, that’s unarguable! But the biggest difference that will always keep Palestine from competing with these schools consistently is much deeper, it’s 1 simple but VERY BIG variable. Palestine has 2 high schools and the others towns have 1 !!!!! We have the largest population in the district but have divided our talent pool up since Westwood opened the doors in 1964. Not trying to make this an excuse for not having a winning program, look what Carthage has done with their small talent pool - good job Carthage.  I simply want to bring this important variable to everyone’s attention. I just don’t like hearing that Palestine doesn’t have the athletes to compete simply because it is a ridiculous statement. The talent is present and accounted for, I assure you, but as long as we have 2 high schools, we will always be a divided community. Unfortunately for both schools in Palestine, all they will ever be able to accomplish with the current situation are flashes of what could be !!! Which is a promising season every once in a blue moon!!! It’s the divided community that hurts this town the most, we are divided in every way imaginable. You would have to live or have lived in Palestine to understand just how deep this division truly separates this community. Our football program is just an example of this division. As the phrase goes              UNITED WE STAND - DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

1390 kids puts you into 5A. 

• Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

Having any kids from Westwood will not up your chances at all in football. They may have 1 maybe 2 athletes a year but it takes a team to be great. The first part of what you are saying is spot on but I'll have to disagree on the last part. 

I went to Westwood, they have enough talent to fill the holes from year to year. When were down on OL or DL that player is across town. So on & so on. Not every player on a team is going to be a 5 star blue chip athlete. We need bodies, for  depth, injuries, grades, etc.... to fill out the roster. 

My primary point is that a 2 high school town in a small town will always spread your talent pool out too thin. Makes it difficult to compete consistently. Do the research, how many 2 high school towns go deep into the playoffs consistently or make state championship runs. Most coaches will steer clear of this situation for the same reasons I’m discussing in this forum.

12 hours ago, eddhut said:

My primary point is that a 2 high school town in a small town will always spread your talent pool out too thin. Makes it difficult to compete consistently. Do the research, how many 2 high school towns go deep into the playoffs consistently or make state championship runs. Most coaches will steer clear of this situation for the same reasons I’m discussing in this forum.

Yeah the only school I can think of that has success with similar size is Paris, they are pretty good every year and there is 3 schools. They town of Paris is bigger so that helps them while the other two schools struggle in football.

6 hours ago, ronnyham said:

Everyone thinks their school has talent and when they don’t win enough it’s the coaching staffs fault. Sometimes we over estimate our talent level in our towns bc of our emotional ties, me included 

I think your correct in your over evaluation comment, we all are guilty of that to some degree. 

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Palestine hires Lance Angel