UPDATE: Palestine hires Lance Angel

hoops4ever

Palestine had one of the best coaches in  Texas with Cornel Thompson. I heard the community would not allow him to coach the kids like he wanted  in Palestine. Jeff Harrell came and coached after him. Jeff is a good coach and I played for him but there had to be reason why he left there. If the community don't support the next coach it will most likely be the same outcome. 

6 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

I didn't even realize Thompson had been there. 

Yes he went there in the 2001 season to be the head coach. Left there to Huntsville and went back to WOS. But if Palestine would have sucked it up they could have a good football coach but with CT not everyone is going to make it. CORNELL THOMPSON
9 years; 102-25-0; 8-8-2

—staff, West Orange-Stark---
2001  Palestine                       2-8-0
—staff, West Orange-Stark—
2011  West Orange-Stark     10-4-0*
2012  West Orange-Stark     13-1-0*
2013  West Orange-Stark     11-2-0*
2014  West Orange-Stark     13-3-0*
2015  West Orange-Stark     15-1-0*
2016  West Orange-Stark     16-0-0*

2017  West Orange-Stark     13-1-0*
2018  West Orange-Stark       9-5-0*

On 5/7/2019 at 4:09 PM, LCM said:

Palestine had one of the best coaches in  Texas with Cornel Thompson. I heard the community would not allow him to coach the kids like he wanted  in Palestine. Jeff Harrell came and coached after him. Jeff is a good coach and I played for him but there had to be reason why he left there. If the community don't support the next coach it will most likely be the same outcome. 

Coach Thompson came in for a year.  His efforts in discipline and the off season training made a difference for several years to come.  Coach Harrell followed that discipline and off season to have Palestine winning again.  A Hall of Fame RB also added to that success!  Coach Harrell left for Texas High position which was better for him, BUT he left the program in better shape than he found it, and left behind 2 of the best classes to come through Palestine in the last 20 years.  The year Harrell left, Palestine dropped to 3A and played in the state semis, losing to Cuero. I'd rather not discuss that game!! That senior group and the sophomore group had plenty of talent and high quality coaches.  They just needed a break here or there to get a ring. 

As far as who is next, I don't know.  They will have a big task ahead of them this late in the year hiring both coordinators and position coaches.   I biggest observation over the last few years of seeing wildcat football is:  How do they get over the hump and win the one big game that changes their attitude?  They have been one game away from making the playoffs the last two years I believe.  Bad loss to Bullard kept them out a year ago, and then a heart breaking loss to Kilgore last year.  At some point the mentality has to get changed.  What was the difference in Carthage? Gilmer? Gladewater recently? etc.  Those programs haven't always been state contenders year in and year out, but look at them now.  

643out

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

Former Cooper coach Lance Angel had them winning and going in the right direction just couldn't beat Jasper in the playoffs. I know he was big on discipline. Good luck to Palestine very interested to see who they hire.

I could be wrong but I think when Angel was at the helm they were in a little easier of a district.  Pretty sure he wasn't here for the DD Days

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Palestine hires Lance Angel