QBs In Today’s NCAA

Stoney

Recently, we’ve seen the #1 QB recruit in the 2020 class commit to Clemson (one year after signing Trevor Lawrence).QBs Justin Fields and Tathan  “I play like Martell” Martell transfer either after one year and/or being beaten out and given immediate release to play. Who is advising these kids? Why would you choose to commit to a school who played a high ranked true freshman QB the year before you committed? Is the NCAA’s willingness to grant immediate eligibility to QBs wanting to transfer helpful or a hindrance in the development of these kids? 

I don’t understand it either. I mean I do understand going to a place with a highly touted freshman if that’s your dream school, but be prepared to sit at least a year or two before playing. I mean is sitting 2 years really that bad? You redshirt and then have one season as the backup and then likely 2-3 years of being the man. Why is immediate playing time such a big deal? There is absolutely no proof whatsoever that starting immediately gives you a better shot at the NFL.

But at the same time, I do not understand why each of these kids talks about how they aren’t scared to compete with the best, commits to a team with 2-3 highly ranked QBs on the roster that are at least a year older than him, then immediately transfers after one season if he isn’t named the starter by seasons end. It just doesn’t make any sense to me why you chose that school to begin with. I understand transferring if a guy the same age as you or younger beats you out, but these guys leaving because they weren’t given the starter job over established highly ranked guys ahead of them is crazy. 

As for your question, I think the ncaa is severely hurting the game. You might as well not even have restrictions anymore. Let everyone come and go as they please. You allow one qb to transfer and be eligible immediately, then you deny a kid whose trying to get closer to home because his mom has cancer. (That happened this offseason.) You let a guy sign with a school then just a couple weeks later he’s allowed to get out of that because he changed his mind and is granted immediate eligibility at another school. Why even have a signing day or binding contract? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stoney said:

He’ll probably wind up there after he transfers.

Lawrence will be a junior when this kid enrolls. He will sit for one season and get his redshirt, then take over the Clemson machine as a redshirt freshman with three-four years to be the man. I don’t see him leaving that. Having a elite QB commit every other year is the way to go. Because in theory, your junior goes pro and you’re starting second year player the next year then repeat cycle. All while adding a depth qb in the classes in between that can be serviceable in a pinch but is okay with sitting for 3 years until as a redshirt junior he battles a possible Rs freshman for his chance. He’s a serviceable backup until then and at that point if he doesn’t win the job he’s a grad transfer out and the “elite” qb rotation of every other year isn’t disturbed. 

56 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Lawrence will be a junior when this kid enrolls. He will sit for one season and get his redshirt, then take over the Clemson machine as a redshirt freshman with three-four years to be the man. I don’t see him leaving that. Having a elite QB commit every other year is the way to go. Because in theory, your junior goes pro and you’re starting second year player the next year then repeat cycle. All while adding a depth qb in the classes in between that can be serviceable in a pinch but is okay with sitting for 3 years until as a redshirt junior he battles a possible Rs freshman for his chance. He’s a serviceable backup until then and at that point if he doesn’t win the job he’s a grad transfer out and the “elite” qb rotation of every other year isn’t disturbed. 

Kids get in their feelings too (see Martell)