Chariots of Fire

RETIREDFAN1

Chariots of Fire

By: Jim Crews

Ben-hadad, king of Syria, caused a lot of problems for the northern kingdom of Israel. He made many raids into Israel, but he soon ran into some major problems. While his strategies were planned in top-secret, the king of Israel always seemed to know them in advance and was able to counter them. It was obvious to Ben-hadad that he had a spy among his people. He called his servants together to find out who was spying on him. They not only denied being spies, but they also pointed out that the real culprit was a prophet on Israel’s side.

In our world of espionage, can you think of a better spy than the Lord God. Even Ben-hadad’s bedroom was “bugged” by the Holy Spirit. Ben-hadad decided to go to the root of the problem.

He would take out this informant.

When he learned that Elisha was in Dothan, he sent his army out to surround the town. There would be no escape for Israel’s eyes and ears! When Elisha’s servant arose early the next morning, he was dismayed to find that they were surrounded by the enemy.

However,  Elisha’s response was startling.

II Kings 6:16

It was then that Elisha asked God to let his servant see how things actually stood.

II Kings 6:17

The Old Testament is filled with wondrous stories for our instruction.

Romans 15:4

As Christians in this world of sin, we are in enemy territory, surrounded on all sides. Satan is always looking to bring us down.

I Peter 5: 8

Some have already been taken captive.

II Timothy 2: 24 - 26

It is time to put on the armor of God.

Ephesians 6:10-13

As Elisha understood, our side is more powerful than the enemy. His servant only saw the enemy. He forgot that God was their ally.

There are two planes of existence: the physical and the spiritual.

II Corinthians 4:16-18

While we are alive, we have to walk by faith, not by sight.

II Corinthians 5:7

The battle we fight  is on the spiritual plane.

II Corinthians 10:3-5

In this spiritual battle, we must always remember that if God is for us, who can oppose us?

Romans 8:31

God will deliver us as long as we remain faithful to Him. We must place all of our confidence in God.

Psalm 3:6-8

Psalm 27:1-3

We must not fear.

Isaiah 41:10-14

Our confidence reflects the outcome.

Philippians 1:27-30

We must hold to this confidence to the end.

Hebrews 3:6, 14

Here lies the problem for many people. They wonder how they can truly be confident?

Think back to when you first believed the gospel. When you came up out of the watery grave of baptism, were you confident of your salvation? Why?

That confidence did not come from man, but confidence in God’s promise. The gospel came from God and not man. Galatians 1:11

It was God who said that immersion in water washes away sins or penitent believers.

Acts 2: 38

Acts 22:16

Baptism is the answer of a good conscience towards God.

I Peter 3:21

So when we obeyed the command to be immersed,  we became new.

Romans 6:3-4

This newness was created by God.

Ephesians 4:17-24

When a person follows God’s commandments, does that earn God’s aid or causes God to owe us salvation? Not at all. It is a display of our love for the God who has saved us.

John 14:15

I John 5:1-3

Our keeping the commandments does not save us, but we have confidence that God saves those who keep His commandments. I John 2:3-6

So how do we know we are saved?

We know we are saved because God promised to save those who obey Him.

Titus 1:1-2

II Corinthians 6:14-7:1

We know what we must do to obey God because it is written in the Bible.

I John 2:24-25

All it requires is staying in the bounds of the instruction of God.

Despite this, many people have lost their confidence because they have stopped trusting God. They have convinced themselves that truth is hard or impossible to discern. They have convinced themselves that they cannot stop sinning.

What about us?

Hebrews 11:6

Do we give up because we continue to sin? Do we throw in the towel? Or do we believe it when God said that when we repent and confess that sin to Him, asking for His forgiveness, that He will forgive us every sin every time?

Acts 8:22

I John 1: 8 - 10