Random Art Briles thought...

This past weekend, I'm watching LHN (Longhorn Network)...it happened to have Mack Brown's final game against Baylor (Briles is coaching). For whatever reason, it gets me looking at some things and draws me into the Mack exit going into the long drawn out intro to Charlie Strong. I had forgotten or whatever in all these years that Texas had originally gone hard after Briles then for their head coach position and he thought hard on and reportedly turned it down (twice) during that long drawn out process...with bigger and bigger offers. 

It got me thinking (in hindsight of course)...man, obviously he would love a re-do on that. Just think of how his life would be dramatically different had he come on down to Austin, rather than Charlie Strong. Even if the Baylor stuff had "blown up" and it more than likely would have/could have...he would have been gone. They could point the finger at him saying "oh, it was Briles", but that would have been similar to Ohio State trying to smear Herman. It probably would have ran off him like he was rubbed down with vaseline. 

26 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Even if the Baylor stuff had "blown up" and it more than likely would have/could have...he would have been gone. They could point the finger at him saying "oh, it was Briles", but that would have been similar to Ohio State trying to smear Herman. It probably would have ran off him like he was rubbed down with vaseline. 

If he was under the protection of UT, you're dang right it would've! UT has enough influence in this state to shift narratives in situations like that.

One could even argue that much of the coverage of the Baylor fiasco was cheerleaded due to butthurt rivals eager to take upstart Baylor (back) down a peg. Prior to Briles being run off, Baylor was on the verge of asserting itself as THE new power in the Big XII. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AKA said:

If he was under the protection of UT, you're dang right it would've! UT has enough influence in this state to shift narratives in situations like that.

One could even argue that much of the coverage of the Baylor fiasco was cheerleaded due to butthurt rivals eager to take upstart Baylor (back) down a peg. Prior to Briles being run off, Baylor was on the verge of asserting itself as THE new power in the Big XII. 

I fully believe there’s some truth to this. I do believe that it was worse for Baylor than it would have been for Texas or OU. 

I wasn't referring to it being a bad or anything for Baylor. I would possibly have been looking through the scope of what would Briles have been able to have done had he come to Texas rather than Charlie "the Chocolate Factory" Strong - openly about the Horn's 15th round choice as head coach, at least...maybe twice that for all we really know. Briles recruited well and clearly the offensive game was a fun one that brought tons of high profile talent in. He would have more than likely brought Phil Bennett to run the defense for a while. Texas would have drawn stronger talent as flagship university. 

Really again...probably as one of those old coaches that's always going back over things analyzing and re-analyzing. It would be interesting to have an honest sit down with him on that time period, etc.

11 hours ago, WETSU said:

I fully believe there’s some truth to this. I do believe that it was worse for Baylor than it would have been for Texas or OU. 

That's how it is. 

If you upset the power structure than you better be dang sure you aren't doing something wrong. Look at Ole Miss as well.

Though I will say Oklahoma gets "punished" a lot more than Texas ever has. Nothing sticks to Texas

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

31 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Though I will say Oklahoma gets "punished" a lot more than Texas ever has. Nothing sticks to Texas

Now see, If I say that, it's just because I've got crimson glasses.  ;) 

On 5/7/2019 at 8:11 AM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I wasn't referring to it being a bad or anything for Baylor. I would possibly have been looking through the scope of what would Briles have been able to have done had he come to Texas rather than Charlie "the Chocolate Factory" Strong - openly about the Horn's 15th round choice as head coach, at least...maybe twice that for all we really know. Briles recruited well and clearly the offensive game was a fun one that brought tons of high profile talent in. He would have more than likely brought Phil Bennett to run the defense for a while. Texas would have drawn stronger talent as flagship university. 

Really again...probably as one of those old coaches that's always going back over things analyzing and re-analyzing. It would be interesting to have an honest sit down with him on that time period, etc.

Like I said on another thread.  Things could have been completely different had Sumlin gone to Texas instead of Strong.  I don't remember the other hires that year, but Texas just made the wrong hire.  Strong got the guys there, just didn't make them better.  Sumlin could have done a lot more short term than Strong did (assuming he had the same type of staff).

On 5/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, AKA said:

Texas wouldn’t have covered it up.  That’s the difference.  If bill Powers had heard Mack was covering up rape allegations he’d have been fired

• LOL! 2

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Texas wouldn’t have covered it up.  That’s the difference.  If bill Powers had heard Mack was covering up rape allegations he’d have been fired

I thought we’ve already pretty much found out that Briles was a fall guy not the problem at Baylor? 

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a thread a while back where essentially his name was cleared through most of this and it was the school president and campus police that were the main source of the problems. I could be wrong though. 

• Thanks 1

I guess my point is towards your statement, we haven’t yet found any evidence that Briles did anything wrong have we? I thought after firing him, all investigations pretty much lead to him not being accused of “covering up” anything but that this went a little above him if anything. There’s no direct link to a specific situation that Briles intentionally didn’t report anything. Initially it was thought he did but then it comes out he did pass along to campus authorities and Waco pd anything he knew correctly, but by that point his name was already mud. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

I thought we’ve already pretty much found out that Briles was a fall guy not the problem at Baylor? 

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember a thread a while back where essentially his name was cleared through most of this and it was the school president and campus police that were the main source of the problems. I could be wrong though. 

Was he? And I mean that seriously because I am so lost on all the details of that whole thing. 

It wouldn't surprise me if he was the fall guy, but I got so lost in who was accusing who and what was really the truth that I feel like it all just dissolved...

16 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I think Texas has done a good job about tackling issues like that head on, but I could bet that there is some covering up going on of some sort at UT. It's going on everywhere, even the small private school I went to. 

On 5/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, AKA said:

I know during that Baylor come up that them and TCU did not get along well.... at all. Both schools absolutely hated each other. I know that TCU was rooting for Baylor to get knocked down, because at the time that was the only team standing in there way.

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

I guess my point is towards your statement, we haven’t yet found any evidence that Briles did anything wrong have we? I thought after firing him, all investigations pretty much lead to him not being accused of “covering up” anything but that this went a little above him if anything. There’s no direct link to a specific situation that Briles intentionally didn’t report anything. Initially it was thought he did but then it comes out he did pass along to campus authorities and Waco pd anything he knew correctly, but by that point his name was already mud. 

Briles took the fall for some mistakes of his young coaches - one in particular. Briles has plenty of money and a nice career to retire. The younger one would have been out of the coaching business for a very long time... if not forever.

4 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Briles took the fall for some mistakes of his young coaches - one in particular. Briles has plenty of money and a nice career to retire. The younger one would have been out of the coaching business for a very long time... if not forever.

You don’t “take the fall” if you knew.  He was rightfully fired.  Baylor should’ve fired every coach on staff, the AD, etc....   

That’s complete speculation too.  If Texas has hired Briles and the Baylor stuff came to light Texas would’ve had no choice but to let him go.

there were two decent assistant  coaches let go because ncaa implications came up about them at prior universities.  One was tied up with Ole Miss and was named in their investigation early on, Texas let him go.  I can’t remember who the other one was though.

The original point was ImplyingTexas would’ve swept it under the rug (aka and Wetsu), but so far everything I’ve presented says otherwise.  Briles made his bed, he can lay in it

a big difference between an assistant (letting them go for the things in allegations) and a successful head coach...as we just saw with Coach Herman (and he wasn't as successful as Briles was to that point)...and yes, I realize the ferver wasn't to the extreme, but we don't know what would have/could have happened had he even been there. 

the fallout may have hit the next guy...

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

You don’t “take the fall” if you knew.  He was rightfully fired.  Baylor should’ve fired every coach on staff, the AD, etc....   

I've read enough of your posts on this site to not try and get into a debate with you about anything. Saying that, Art Briles was not aware of everything that was going on at Baylor. He didn't want to know so he could have plausible deniability if he was ever questioned. But he absolutely stepped down to allow one of his assistants to continue with his coaching career. Briles leaving Baylor was all part of the deal.

2 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

a big difference between an assistant (letting them go for the things in allegations) and a successful head coach...as we just saw with Coach Herman (and he wasn't as successful as Briles was to that point)...and yes, I realize the ferver wasn't to the extreme, but we don't know what would have/could have happened had he even been there. 

the fallout may have hit the next guy...

I think this is a good point. Rumors come out of OSU about Herman, and they went away just about as fast as they surfaced. Some of it may have to do with the idiot that was making the claims, but it could have also gotten squashed by Texas alum. Maybe a little of both.

41 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I've read enough of your posts on this site to not try and get into a debate with you about anything. Saying that, Art Briles was not aware of everything that was going on at Baylor. He didn't want to know so he could have plausible deniability if he was ever questioned. But he absolutely stepped down to allow one of his assistants to continue with his coaching career. Briles leaving Baylor was all part of the deal.

So you’re saying he knew something was going on but he didn’t want to know exactly what?  That’s turning a blind eye, still the same in my book

41 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I think this is a good point. Rumors come out of OSU about Herman, and they went away just about as fast as they surfaced. Some of it may have to do with the idiot that was making the claims, but it could have also gotten squashed by Texas alum. Maybe a little of both.

Herman didn’t deny it either.  He said he was told by Meyer to go and keep the other assistant coach out of trouble