🏈 2019 College Football pre-season thread

23 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

They didn’t have a QB last year.

Cornelius wasn't horrible. At least he had been in their system for more than a year under Rudolph.

Their only qb this year with experience is the transfer from Hawaii

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

I’m drinking the coolaid this summer. I think the defense will be better than anticipated.  

Losing quite a bit on the defensive front. Will have a few guys, but young. Same with DBs... They'll be talented and some will play immediately, but they'll be young. 

49 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Losing quite a bit on the defensive front. Will have a few guys, but young. Same with DBs... They'll be talented and some will play immediately, but they'll be young. 

I admittedly have high hopes for the front 7. They lose a whole lot of starts it’s true, but they have some athletes filling their shoes. I’m also thinking that whatever steps backwards the defense might take, the offense will make up for with a returning a ton of experience in year 2 under jimbo. This team will basically live and breathe on Monds ability to improve on that third down percentage. He bumps that up a little bit and turns a couple of those FGs last season into TDs this year the offense should be just fine. 

I was never one who thought Mond was BAD. I didn't think he was great either... I think he'll be better, but won't be a top 10 QB or anything. We lose a few playmakers on offense too like Trayveon Williams (I know we have some good-looking backs replacing him, but still- he was a great player) and Jace Sternberger (again, I know he has replacements, but man they were good). 

I just think the schedule is too tough to try and improve on the 9 wins from last year. I see 8-4 with a bowl win as being a pretty solid season given the schedule. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I was never one who thought Mond was BAD. I didn't think he was great either... I think he'll be better, but won't be a top 10 QB or anything. We lose a few playmakers on offense too like Trayveon Williams (I know we have some good-looking backs replacing him, but still- he was a great player) and Jace Sternberger (again, I know he has replacements, but man they were good). 

I just think the schedule is too tough to try and improve on the 9 wins from last year. I see 8-4 with a bowl win as being a pretty solid season given the schedule. 

9 wins and another top 10 class to build on won’t be bad. Especially when building for 2020 and beyond.

37 minutes ago, Stoney said:

9 wins and another top 10 class to build on won’t be bad. Especially when building for 2020 and beyond.

Exactly. What Fisher is building is of my concern more than the record year 2 of players he didn't recruit, you know? I like what I see-

a) He's developed players far better than our previous coaches- Look at guys like Otaro Alaka and Daylon Mack. Almost non-factors who immediately had stellar years. And first-year guys like Sternberger who came out of nowhere and quickly rise in the ranks.

b) He's recruited better talent- I think our best class ever was what? Number 5? He's already beat that and will hopefully have us consistently in the Top 10 (and Top 5 one day). Gotta have talent.

c) He's put a better product on the field- Say what you want about last year's record being 8-4... Every game we lost other than Alabama, we were in the game (and should've won a few). Compare that to 2017 where we were down like 21-0 in the first quarter against Miss St, Auburn, etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I think 9 wins needs to be the minimum expectation. I’ll give you the loss at Clemson, but jimbo is going to have to steal one of the 3 from Bama, LSU and Georgia imo. A loss to all 4, albeit understandable given 3/4 are on the road, would not be a successful step forward building off last year to me. 

21 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I think 9 wins needs to be the minimum expectation. I’ll give you the loss at Clemson, but jimbo is going to have to steal one of the 3 from Bama, LSU and Georgia imo. A loss to all 4, albeit understandable given 3/4 are on the road, would not be a successful step forward building off last year to me. 

I think the Auburn game will one to keep an eye on.  Early in the year and outside of QB, they look pretty solid everywhere else.

Seems like Gus always follows up a pedestrian year with 10 wins or so.

4 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I think the Auburn game will one to keep an eye on.  Early in the year and outside of QB, they look pretty solid everywhere else.

aTm should beat Auburn handily

43 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Oh I’m definitely keeping my eye on it. But after last years meltdown in the 4th to lose, I’m sure A&M is too. I think at home, they handle business this time. I also think they are just overall better than auburn. But auburn will pose a challenge. 

On 7/15/2019 at 4:58 AM, WETSU said:

I’m going 10-2. I’m very optimistic about Monds growth for year 2 in the system. 

Losses are clemson and Georgia. Big win against Bama at home this year for the upset. 

I don’t think that’s a super crazy prediction. If we lose one, I think it will be that road game at A&M. 

16 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t think that’s a super crazy prediction. If we lose one, I think it will be that road game at A&M. 

LSU and A&M is who most think I’ve the talent to beat Bama... however, Auburn is always a wildcard no matter how bad they are during the season

6 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Those are CLEAN.

I don't get the "you can get this but you can't pay the players" comments. That has nothing to do with the school spending money on facilities.

This is the school paying the players.  Until they are allowed to throw cash at them, schools like LSU, A&M, etc. will continue to improve facilities to accommodate them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

This is the school paying the players.  Until they are allowed to throw cash at them, schools like LSU, A&M, etc. will continue to improve facilities to accommodate them

Exactly my thought. 

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

That list fails to me when it doesn’t have A&M on the oline list. 4 first rd draft picks in the last 7 years, with 4 others being drafted. Maybe it’s more of an all time thing, but then under notable players nobody list any players over about 20 years old really. 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:47 PM, WETSU said:

I love seeing UNT improving under him. But somebody is going to double that pay next season without even blinking an eye and get a very good up and comer. 

If we have another good year, I think he's gone. 4 years and hopefully 4 straight bowl games. I will be sad when he's gone, but he has definitely made UNT a more desirable job.

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

notice the consistency in the top teams in basically every category...  Like breakdown LSU for example...

RBs, OL, WRs, DL, DBs...  this also shows that LSU has been weakest at the QB position for a while now.  Besides Matt Flynn and Rohan Davey and 1 year of Mettenberger, LSU has been terrible at QB and has had all of their success through their strengths...  

OU, Ohio St, and Alabama are also schools that are consistently mentioned in this article... Further showing how long these schools have been relevant,

The ESPN list is very strange. I’m not real big on conspiracies but surely this list is just thrown together to get clicks and outrage. 

They said they went back to 98 but on the DBU list they leave off 2 Thorpe award winners for Texas. One of those guys also played in and won 2 Super Bowls. 

There is no way they tried to get these lists 100% correct. 

• Like 2

Georgia RBs don’t make the list with Todd Gurley, Sonny Michel, Nick Chubb, Knowshon Moreno, Musa Smith but Arkansas makes it?

What about NC State’s QBs? Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Ryan Finley, Mike Glennon, Jacoby Brissett. That’s a pretty darn solid group of QBs. @MavGrad99 pick two of them and put’em on LSU, how many Nattys y’all win?

It’s a very curious list to say the least.

• Like 2

• Mr. P changed the title to 🏈 2019 College Football pre-season thread