UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

3 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Winnsboro sits at the top of 3A. They were 10 kids off Tatum and Gladewater, and building a new school. Next realignment will be interesting. 

Both Tatum and Gladewater had higher enrollments last realignment than Winnsboro but I agree that they are towards the top as well so they may move up.

28 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

Both Tatum and Gladewater had higher enrollments last realignment than Winnsboro but I agree that they are towards the top as well so they may move up.

My understanding is that Tatum is quite a bit lower now versus when realignment came out. 

4 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

That's what I was wondering 

Winnsboro goes over into arch rival territory and plucks their young and successful head football coach and you guys are wondering how they are going to justify paying for it?  Don’t you think they had that conversation before the board approved the hire?  This is the biggest thing Winnsboro has done for sports in a while.  Be proud for them and don’t sweat the small stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Winnsboro goes over into arch rival territory and plucks their young and successful head football coach and you guys are wondering how they are going to justify paying for it?  Don’t you think they had that conversation before the board approved the hire?  This is the biggest thing Winnsboro has done for sports in a while.  Be proud for them and don’t sweat the small stuff!

Lol, didn't say how they would justify it. But money is still money. No one is trying to say he isn't a good coach. Just wondered if he would have to teach for a year.. ie, a teacher/coach contract. Which if you go back and look at the Winnsboro paper article that a pic was posted of, it lists him as a teacher/coach. Not the way an AD would be listed. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:16 PM, playactionpass39 said:

Promote from within?

Mike Thomas has 200 head of Simental cattle in the Hagansport area. Don’t be surprised to see the purple tiger brass pull the trigger and lure the great Thomas out of retirement.

I really lament sounding cliché here, but ultimately at the end of the day Winnsboro has done what they felt was the right move whether outsiders agree or not. Might I add that this whole decision was made collectively, including Pinnell. There was no forcing out or ill feelings. Sometimes an opportunity arises and you just have to pull the trigger before a certain person makes a move elsewhere and I feel that this was one of those times. Looking forward to the new changes.

• Like 2

I think you're right. Like I said earlier, I think winnsboro saw an opportunity to steal him away. And waiting one more year, he may have had lots of other offers.  They didnt want to miss their chance. Cant blame them. 

Just wondered if he has to teach this year or if they gave him an assistant AD title or something. 

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

I think you're right. Like I said earlier, I think winnsboro saw an opportunity to steal him away. And waiting one more year, he may have had lots of other offers.  They didnt want to miss their chance. Cant blame them. 

Just wondered if he has to teach this year or if they gave him an assistant AD title or something. 

I heard WISD is adding Underwater Basket Weaving to the curriculum for the 2019-2020 school year.  They are getting a top notch teacher in Finney.  It’s a shame the class will only be offered for one year though.  😂

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

Totally agree with your statement

19 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I'm sure they had the conversation. I don't think it involved the whole town. I'm not saying its not a good hire, but I don't think its out of line to wonder what they say to the community that asks the same question. Why pay Pinnell to do half a job? If you don't make Finney teach you are paying 2 guys to do half a job. Remember we are talking about taxpayer money. Pinnell comes out of this golden. About to eat a check for a year. And his contract doesn't matter. ADs are reassigned and asked to resign all the time. 

2 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I heard WISD is adding Underwater Basket Weaving to the curriculum for the 2019-2020 school year.  They are getting a top notch teacher in Finney.  It’s a shame the class will only be offered for one year though.  😂

No, that is going to be his seconds sport, they expect to compete for a State Championship in UBW.

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles