UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

1 minute ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I’m sure MV had a ton of well qualified coaches and coordinators lined up wanting this job. They’ve been wildly successful in all sports. Why would they hire this guy mired in controversy in exile in Italy on a two year contract. What good is this going to do. There’s no building a foundation with this guy. For such a nice town there’s some real idiots in admin and the board on this decision. Zero upside. 

Exactly!

Just now, NATUREBOY98 said:

I’m sure MV had a ton of well qualified coaches and coordinators lined up wanting this job. They’ve been wildly successful in all sports. Why would they hire this guy mired in controversy in exile in Italy on a two year contract. What good is this going to do. There’s no building a foundation with this guy. For such a nice town there’s some real idiots in admin and the board on this decision. Zero upside. 

Now that is something I will agree with. 

Why put yourself through this controversy? It’s not like Briles is going to make Mt. Vernon a state championship contender.

Heck, I would say that they already operated in the best offensive system for the kids that they typically have.

How many sexual allegations did Briles have at Stephenville? I haven't heard of one  He lost high paying job and a lot of folks bashed him in the media. He gets his second shot and we can see if he can recover from his past. You have to remember he wasn't charged for anything and if he was he would not have a teaching certification. I think over 70% Texas high schools would have hired him on his football resume alone.  Good luck and Ill be watching Mount Vernon this year. Honestly  I don't even no if yall are any good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Boys, Art Briles has no convictions by the court of law. I personally know him and what happened at Baylor is anyone’s guess. But as far as the law goes, he has no record. NONE!!! No need to hate on him and I’m sure I’m in the minority here. With that being said, I know a lot of big time successful high school head coaches that have been CONVICTED of crimes. Those with no sins cast all the stones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LCM said:

How many sexual allegations did Briles have at Stephenville? I haven't heard of one  He lost high paying job and a lot of folks bashed him in the media. He gets his second shot and we can see if he can recover from his past. You have to remember he wasn't charged for anything and if he was he would not have a teaching certification. I think over 70% Texas high schools would have hired him on his football resume alone.  Good luck and Ill be watching Mount Vernon this year. Honestly  I don't even no if yall are any good.

I concur LCM. He wasn’t convicted of any crime.

15 minutes ago, randomuser said:

I concur LCM. He wasn’t convicted of any crime.

Your right Few years ago a WOS football coach ran over a child and mother and fled the scene. Im sure he had some alcoholic beverages and that's why he left but we will never know the truth. Finally he turned his self in and got 10 yrs probation and 60 days in county jail. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KildogDad said:

Baylor had sexual misconduct allegations going back to 2003. Briles was hired in '07. Not saying he was pure as the wind driven snow, but this was a Baylor problem, not just a Baylor football problem.

It was very much a Briles problem, too. He lied and eventually admitted he knew about the sexual assault accusations.

2 hours ago, Champ77 said:

Anybody that knew of rapes,gangrapes and etc..And wouldn’t work with the investigations is as guilty as those who did the act...Doesn’t deserves a 2nd Chance 

I take it when Jesus asked, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone...," (JOHN 8:7 KJV) that He was talking about you in particular then? Nice to meet you, Sir! 

I too, strive to be like you and live a PERFECT life where I never sin and have free reign to admonish any and everyone for their transgressions for their entire life with impunity from the Most High our Father, God.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Quick said:

I take it when Jesus asked, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone...," (JOHN 8:7 KJV) that He was talking about you in particular then? Nice to meet you, Sir! 

I too, strive to be like you and live a PERFECT life where I never sin and have free reign to admonish any and everyone for their transgressions for their entire life with impunity from the Most High our Father, God.

Kind of what I said Quick.

• Thanks 1

Im definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed but I am the only one who found it unusual that they would put in the "never involved in recruiting violations" tidbit? I think Natureboy hit the nail on the head with the statement of their success over the last few years and then only hiring Briles for 2 years. Also with his style of offense over the years, how will that play in MV? Lots of questions.

• Like 1

I can see the culture now that allowed this to get so out of hand. Waco, Baylor and McClennan County doesn’t know how to handle cases of sexual assault. A coed gets raped on campus and nothing comes of it. A coed gets raped on campus and the county judge gives the rapist 3 years probation, $400 fine and no sex offender tag to his name. If the school don’t care, the city don’t care and the legal system don’t care, then it’s real easy for a staff to take risks in the name of winning football games.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quick said:

Most don’t want to see that. It doesn’t fit their criteria. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Good grief. Everyone wants to keep our Lord and Savior out of the conversation until they think it will benefit their point of view. Did I say condemn the man? No. When you oversee a program and overlook major misconduct you kinda lose your right to that position again imo. Someone said he wasn’t convicted of a crime. That’s true. You know who else wasn’t convicted of a crime? Joe Paterno. Who’s all for Penn State putting back up his statue and the NCAA reinstating the 111 wins they took away. And for all of those that say “ oh you can’t compare this with that Sandusky monster “ my reply is what’s the difference. Briles was covering up actions of sexual deviants and Paterno was covering up actions of a sexual deviant. And remember what Jesus says, all sin is equal in the eyes of the Father. Bottom line. Terrible hire for MV. Controversy for nothing. 

+ a gazillion

Excellent post and right on the money!

• Like 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

Why .. Why....

Didn’t Briles receive a multi-million dollar buyout deal from Baylor.

1. Why coach in HS again?

2. He doesn’t need the money.

3. I see a lot of parents looking to move their kids out of MV because of this hire.   I could be wrong.  But that’s my guess.

Not going to get caught up in the merits of this hire, but MV board certainly knew how controversial it would be or it wouldn't have announced it on Friday afternoon before graduation and the Memorial Day weekend.

Also wondering if Art Briles has seen Don Meredith Stadium and if there are any plans for improvements?  The new MV gym is outstanding and heavily booked for playoff games, but the next-door field needs a makeover.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I think this sheds tons of light why Finney left a great gig to a impossible fix in Winnsboro. Says a lot he’d rather go 2-8 than deal with the brass at MV. 

Not an impossible fix.  Winnsboro will be 3-0 when they face Briles and MV this fall. I believe they will battle for the 4th seed playoff spot in their district.  

As for the MV hire, not real sure why the Board would put the athletes, their families, the school, etc. through the media roller coaster that is about to hit their town.  Best case scenario Briles stays for two years and leaves for a bigger opportunity.  He may leave after one year.  I can’t help but think more current MV assistants are headed to Winnsboro or somewhere else and Briles will have to put together almost an entire staff this summer.  Not sure how many quality assistants are left out there at this point.

20 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Ouch! National media has done got involved @Stoney @AKA @Eagleborn

d8fee450-7ee3-11e9-aedf-ca582da5647a.cf.

In hiring Art Briles, a small Texas town sells its soul

I’ve already seen the Bud Kilmer comparisons by the media. People out of state can’t comprehend our devotion to high school football. We hold back kids from starting kindergarten so they’ll be the biggest ones in the next class. We have parents move across district lines to put their kid on a winner. Is the Briles hiring really that shocking then?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LCM said:

Mr. LCM,

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 2

11 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Well DNation I hope Finney has great success. Just going off the past few years. Winnsboro is a great little town. There’s talk of it being endanger of going 4A. I think we could agree it would be an almost impossible situation if that happened. I’m with you on the MV hire. Makes zero sense. This is one of the top jobs out there. I’d like to know how many fine coaches got turned down. If I were a citizen, I’d want the supt gone and people lined up to challenge board members that okayed this charade. 

MV and Winnsboro are only 17 miles apart in Hwy 37.  Watch the real estate transactions in Winnsboro over the next month or two.  Won’t be many 3 or 4 bedroom houses available.  The Raiders and Lady Raiders will benefit from the MV hire in 2019 and beyond.

6 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

You’re probably right. I know I’d be going from being a Purple Tiger to a Red Raider in minute. I hate it for MV. Fantastic kids. Fantastic academics. Great great facilities. 

I think Winnsboro was at 463 enrollment last time.  They can take in 25-30 and still stay 3A assuming no major changes in the cutoff to 4A.  🤞

1 hour ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

Mr. LCM,

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Ok a simple wrong would have done just fine. 

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Good grief. Everyone wants to keep our Lord and Savior out of the conversation until they think it will benefit their point of view. Did I say condemn the man? No. When you oversee a program and overlook major misconduct you kinda lose your right to that position again imo. Someone said he wasn’t convicted of a crime. That’s true. You know who else wasn’t convicted of a crime? Joe Paterno. Who’s all for Penn State putting back up his statue and the NCAA reinstating the 111 wins they took away. And for all of those that say “ oh you can’t compare this with that Sandusky monster “ my reply is what’s the difference. Briles was covering up actions of sexual deviants and Paterno was covering up actions of a sexual deviant. And remember what Jesus says, all sin is equal in the eyes of the Father. Bottom line. Terrible hire for MV. Controversy for nothing. 

I'll tell you what then. Let's hope our Father, God doesn't maintain your same lifetime, unforgivable position against you on judgement day as you have this Man. And, that goes for your Holier-than- thou entourage that proclaim to serve the same forgiving God that I serve but, yet have sins galore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Not an impossible fix.  Winnsboro will be 3-0 when they face Briles and MV this fall. I believe they will battle for the 4th seed playoff spot in their district.  

As for the MV hire, not real sure why the Board would put the athletes, their families, the school, etc. through the media roller coaster that is about to hit their town.  Best case scenario Briles stays for two years and leaves for a bigger opportunity.  He may leave after one year.  I can’t help but think more current MV assistants are headed to Winnsboro or somewhere else and Briles will have to put together almost an entire staff this summer.  Not sure how many quality assistants are left out there at this point.

Are you seriously doubting that Briles can put a staff together? This guy is one of the most successful Coaches in Texas High school football history. Turned around Houston and Baylor (which nobody believed could be done). Unbelievable!! Dang haters...

• Like 1