UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

1 minute ago, eagle34 said:

Are you seriously doubting that Briles can put a staff together? This guy is one of the most successful Coaches in Texas High school football history. Turned around Houston and Baylor (which nobody believed could be done). Unbelievable!! Dang haters...

Naw. HYPOCRITES is the more fitting term. I don't condone cover-ups especially as it relates to rape. I have a 14 year old daughter and I would be absolutely LIVID and probably in jail if that had've been my daughter. BUT, I am in no position here on Earth to put Briles or anyone for that matter in a position of where he can not reform himself and get back on track.

Now, has he used his "F-up" coupon already? You better believe it! But, the man still has to live. It's the same people who claim to be of such high morality but, will line up and go vote for Trump AFTER he said what he said about grabbing women and his long list of CONTINUOUS inappropriate behavior. But, don't let me get started on that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Are you seriously doubting that Briles can put a staff together? This guy is one of the most successful Coaches in Texas High school football history. Turned around Houston and Baylor (which nobody believed could be done). Unbelievable!! Dang haters...

I’m not a hater.  I’m just being honest.  He has a lot of baggage and we are in day one of summer break.  Not everyone will come running to MV to be a part of the circus that at best will last two years.

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

He will be able to put a staff together. He will also have MV winning. Remember this guy was TXHSFB royalty a few years ago. His relationships with TXHSFB coaches was what allowed him to pull big time recruits at Baylor.

I will not condone or condemn the hire. In no position to do that. That is up to the people of MV to do. Would I have made the hire as a member of the school board or community? No. It is a lot more trouble than it is worth IMO. Let’s see how the citizens of MV react. I think if they can get through the initial media storm everything will calm down and the national media will find another story.

What he was involved in is as bad as it gets, but I don’t think all the girls at MV are in danger after this hire. He is not recruiting kids to play there. To act like this hire puts the kids at MV in danger is kinda silly to me. There is no more a chance of rape in MV today as there was yesterday.

Either way this is going to be interesting. Especially if he has them winning and deep in the playoffs. To see the reactions of people will be entertaining at the least.

I would like to hear the opinions of people with kids at MV. See what they think. I doubt they would get on here due to some holier than thou posters ready to kill anybody who thinks this is ok and give the man a second chance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

Mr. LCM,

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Great post.... But Im still correct.  He was not charged with anything... Have a blessed day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bignasty said:

Why .. Why....

Didn’t Briles receive a multi-million dollar buyout deal from Baylor.

1. Why coach in HS again?

2. He doesn’t need the money.

3. I see a lot of parents looking to move their kids out of MV because of this hire.   I could be wrong.  But that’s my guess.

We will take some of them in Winnaboro.

• LOL! 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:31 AM, NATUREBOY98 said:

That would be nightmarish if they moved to 4A. They don’t compete in 3A. Athletic program would shrivel up to nothing. 

they will prove you wrong nb.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Ouch! National media has done got involved @Stoney @AKA @Eagleborn

d8fee450-7ee3-11e9-aedf-ca582da5647a.cf.

In hiring Art Briles, a small Texas town sells its soul

Sells its soul.... pfft. 

Good for Briles to get back in HS sports and good for MV for having a sack to hire him. 

We’ve seen what others said they “would” do but what do the MV people think about all this? It’s their school. I know a few MV posters lurk around here. Thoughts? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

He will be able to put a staff together. He will also have MV winning. Remember this guy was TXHSFB royalty a few years ago. His relationships with TXHSFB coaches was what allowed him to pull big time recruits at Baylor.

I will not condone or condemn the hire. In no position to do that. That is up to the people of MV to do. Would I have made the hire as a member of the school board or community? No. It is a lot more trouble than it is worth IMO. Let’s see how the citizens of MV react. I think if they can get through the initial media storm everything will calm down and the national media will find another story.

What he was involved in is as bad as it gets, but I don’t think all the girls at MV are in danger after this hire. He is not recruiting kids to play there. To act like this hire puts the kids at MV in danger is kinda silly to me. There is no more a chance of rape in MV today as there was yesterday.

Either way this is going to be interesting. Especially if he has them winning and deep in the playoffs. To see the reactions of people will be entertaining at the least.

I would like to hear the opinions of people with kids at MV. See what they think. I doubt they would get on here due to some holier than thou posters ready to kill anybody who thinks this is ok and give the man a second chance.

See last part of this post

It was only a matter of time before someone hired him. Once a district prepared themselves for the initial firestorm, they can get to football. AB wont be in Mt Vernon long, since they are taking the beating for the hire, then another bigger program can take him with out as much backlash. Keeping his nose clean for a few years and the next hire wont be as hard. 

Philly took this back lash after they signed Vick. I know it is completely different issues but the strategy is the same. I don't have an opinion on the hire one way or the other. Mount Vernon administration made a genius move, announcing the hire on the Friday of holiday weekend right before they are out for the summer. They will take heat and phone calls for a few weeks with no students in the school to worry about. When they come back to school the season will start. This season will be rough, but if he survives the 1st season he will start his journey back up the ranks in HS football. 

Hope it works out for everyone, don't want the kids to be the ones punished.

• Like 2

I see this story has even made national news :  https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/05/25/in-hiring-coach-a-small-texas-town-sells-its-soul/23734840/ .  I see it as a good hire for a small town that's mainly known for being the hometown of "Dandy" Don Meredith.  If he can turn their program into a winner, which I think he can, and he shouldn't have any scandals at a High School even though we've seen a few in recent years I think he'll be fine.  

1 hour ago, Dfield2010champs said:

What’s the problem? Dude didn’t get charged with anything. It’s Texas baby. Just win. Could care less what happened at Baylor. MV just jumped to the top of their district. Who’s gonna out coach this guy? Some of y’all are acting like the girls are in some kind of danger. What a bunch of bs. 

You sir have won “The Most Stupidest Comment of the day” Award!! Congratulations!!

🏆

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2
  • Stinks 1

57 minutes ago, Dfield2010champs said:

What’s the problem? Dude didn’t get charged with anything. It’s Texas baby. Just win. Could care less what happened at Baylor. MV just jumped to the top of their district. Who’s gonna out coach this guy? Some of y’all are acting like the girls are in some kind of danger. What a bunch of bs. 

You sound very immature. What happened at Baylor is very relevant.

11 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Not an impossible fix.  Winnsboro will be 3-0 when they face Briles and MV this fall. I believe they will battle for the 4th seed playoff spot in their district.  

As for the MV hire, not real sure why the Board would put the athletes, their families, the school, etc. through the media roller coaster that is about to hit their town.  Best case scenario Briles stays for two years and leaves for a bigger opportunity.  He may leave after one year.  I can’t help but think more current MV assistants are headed to Winnsboro or somewhere else and Briles will have to put together almost an entire staff this summer.  Not sure how many quality assistants are left out there at this point.

People from Carthage need to take a more silent approach to this issue.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1