UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

1 hour ago, JV_COACH said:

People from Carthage need to take a more silent approach to this issue.

JV Coach - I will comment as I please.  I’m Winnsboro alumni and still own property there.  If you want to know my stance on the Carthage issue go read my posts on the topic.  There are plenty on here and on FSSW app.

Hearing through the grapevine that Briles old strength and conditioning coach from Baylor who has been at Longview is leaving and heading to MV. Also hearing that he is bringing in 12 new coaches. All of this is just very fascinating to me. Many more questions than answers. As if the Winny/MV rivalry wasn't already interesting, the events of the last month have made it that much more intriguing.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dfield2010champs said:

Excellent point. Why didn’t Surratt hammer down on that kid that filmed young girls. Hmmmmm. Could it be he was the star qb?

He wasn’t the starting qb when it happened retard.  He was a freshman.  And it was during baseball.  How many times do we have to repeat this same bs story.  Until the start of his Junior year it wasn’t a sure thing he would be the starter then.  Good lord!!!!  He wasn’t charged the lawsuit was dismissed by a judge so quit dragging this kid through the mud every time a story comes up about another incident at a another school.  IDIOTS!!!!!!!!

25 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Hearing through the grapevine that Briles old strength and conditioning coach from Baylor who has been at Longview is leaving and heading to MV. Also hearing that he is bringing in 12 new coaches. All of this is just very fascinating to me. Many more questions than answers. As if the Winny/MV rivalry wasn't already interesting, the events of the last month have made it that much more intriguing.  

Let’s see what actually happens over the next few weeks.  That’s a lot of change if it’s true.

6 minutes ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

He wasn’t the starting qb when it happened retard.  He was a freshman.  And it was during baseball.  How many times do we have to repeat this same bs story.  Until the start of his Junior year it wasn’t a sure thing he would be the starter then.  Good lord!!!!  He wasn’t charged the lawsuit was dismissed by a judge so quit dragging this kid through the mud every time a story comes up about another incident at a another school.  IDIOTS!!!!!!!!

Exactly. Next thing people will be comparing Surratt and Briles. Posters on this site get dumber by the year.

Just win.

38 minutes ago, ALLSPORTFAN said:

Retard. 

Idiots. 

Bless your heart. 

11 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

JV Coach - I will comment as I please.  I’m Winnsboro alumni and still own property there.  If you want to know my stance on the Carthage issue go read my posts on the topic.  There are plenty on here and on FSSW app.

I can not believe there are two ex Raiders commenting on this subject. we have problems in our back yare. let the Tiger Nation deal with this.  fifff

1 hour ago, chevyman said:

how can MV afford 12 new coaches?

Outstanding hire by MV high School. Your giving a man a second chance that deserves one. I can tell stories and stories of other current HC in Texas HS football still coaching who actually committed crimes and committed adultry acts.

This man's only problem is he continued to allow what had been going on for a decade before he even left stephenville for a college job. Baylor has always been a trash college and a trash city an he just allowed the trash to continue. Heck he probably honestly didnt even have a say in how it all got handled.

He never had a single violation or problem anywhere he had ever been in over 30 years of coaching besides Baylor. Kinda funny the only problem was in waco.

Good luck Briles I have girls and would love for you to coach them or be their AD. All these other yahoos cant understand bc they aren't from around Waco and understand the dynamics of that crazy town.

MV admin hit this out of the park. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

All I'm saying whs1965 everyone deserves a second chance. Glad MV is giving Briles his. People make mistakes and learn from them....I've made my share and have been giving second chance as well. 

Good job MV!

I was talking about your reference to Finney.

22 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

A stone throws away is never far from a glass house. You got Carthage on your ID thing. 

Glad you still got property in Winnsboro, always heard they got good people there. 

11 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I’m not addressing the controversial hire anymore, as I stated in my last post. That’s MV’s business. I will talk football though. Throw all the baggage out the window and just talk coaching. How does this not heave MV to the top of their district. Your basically putting a D1 coaching staff in place. Another question is how did MV even gain access to him? How news that Finney left and there was an opening make it from Franklin county to Florence Italy? Does MV have deep pockets. I’m pretty sure the Longview coach, if true, would be taking a pay cut. I’m gonna guess and say some of those 12, if true, are currently or once upon a time collegiate coaches. It’s my understanding Briles got a huge buyout from Baylor. So he can do his thing basically for free. This just gets his foot back in the door in Texas, or the US for that matter. How are they going to afford all this. These guys aren’t use to teacher salaries and a coaching stipend. There must be a big Baylor booster/alumni in MV. It just boggles my mind how this even came to be. 

I have been pondering the same thing over the last couple of days NB. You know it didnt just happen out of thin air. I will also talk football too. I am interested to see what kind of offense he will bring to the tigers. They were once very pass happy and then with Finney they became a power running team. Obviously Briles loves the pass happy offense but what if MV doesn't have all the personnel to implement that system? How will they totally revamp the philosophy of the last couple of years if he does choose the air raid route? All very intriguing topics. MV does have deeper pockets than you might think but still all of this seems to be a big undertaking.

30 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

A stone throws away is never far from a glass house. You got Carthage on your ID thing. 

Glad you still got property in Winnsboro, always heard they got good people there. 

Yes I live in Carthage now and have kids in the school system here.  I support the Dawgs.  But don’t assume I’ll get cut if the glass house breaks.  And yes there are good people in Winnsboro.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chevyman said:

I have been pondering the same thing over the last couple of days NB. You know it didnt just happen out of thin air. I will also talk football too. I am interested to see what kind of offense he will bring to the tigers. They were once very pass happy and then with Finney they became a power running team. Obviously Briles loves the pass happy offense but what if MV doesn't have all the personnel to implement that system? How will they totally revamp the philosophy of the last couple of years if he does choose the air raid route? All very intriguing topics. MV does have deeper pockets than you might think but still all of this seems to be a big undertaking.

Briles used a run first offense for his first couple of State Championships at Stephenville before switching offenses. The stops he had before Stephenville were also run first offenses he employed. I'm sure he will adjust his scheme to fit the talent. I'm also curious on the reports that he already has a full staff ready to go. I wonder how long MV has been talking to him and I'm surprised it didn't get out. In thinking about the players on the team, they have to be super pumped. They lost a run of the mill 3A high school Coach and then hit the Lottery!!!!