UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

5 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Saw a local media outlet reported Briles will make $82k per year in his two year contract as HC at MV.  No teaching responsibilities.  Anyone know how that compares to other 3A D1 schools in East TX?

That’s around the average. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2019 at 7:41 PM, WETSU said:

I guess my point is towards your statement, we haven’t yet found any evidence that Briles did anything wrong have we? I thought after firing him, all investigations pretty much lead to him not being accused of “covering up” anything but that this went a little above him if anything. There’s no direct link to a specific situation that Briles intentionally didn’t report anything. Initially it was thought he did but then it comes out he did pass along to campus authorities and Waco pd anything he knew correctly, but by that point his name was already mud. 

https://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/columns/guest_columns/bill-rogers-guest-columnist-the-confounding-case-of-former-baylor/article_9b6967ff-dcc4-5e5d-8f2c-8604de7990b6.html

5 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Thanks for the insight.  How many 2018 coaches are still employed by MV?  Is Beiles really going to have to bring 12 to fill all the vacancies?

My math may be faulty, but I believe there were 11 boys' coaches, including Head Coach Finney.  Two left to go to Winnsboro with Finney, and three went to Mt. Pleasant. The head baseball coach left and even though he is a Winnsboro native he isn't going to Winnsboro with Finney--going to Florida from what I understand.  Three others left for other places. The basketball coach who has been there for one year is the only one still there right now.  All of them had already resigned before the surprise announcement of the Art Briles hiring Friday night.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Was that Farmersville game really 5-0 or a misprint? Talk about a defensive battle. One team pitched a shutout, the other a field goal. Well a safety, but that’s not on the defense. Nice right there. Did Tatum have an off night? That’s the only score that surprises me. They gave an athletic Jefferson team hell and kept the scores respectable against a good Atlanta squad. Coach Briles will have a lot to work with since. Don’t know how many graduated, but the freshman and jv squads were a combined 19-1 so there’s some good young fellas coming up. 

If I recall the Farmersville game was in a rainstorm. Tatum had a hobbled QB but MV still gave them fits all night. The Jefferson game was also in some tough conditions, including the field and MV also turned it over 4-5 times that game. The Atlanta game was honestly MVs for the taking but just fell short in the end after having at least 5 turnovers. Fumbles were an achilles heel all year. They did graduate quite a bit.

1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Was that Farmersville game really 5-0 or a misprint? Talk about a defensive battle. One team pitched a shutout, the other a field goal. Well a safety, but that’s not on the defense. Nice right there. Did Tatum have an off night? That’s the only score that surprises me. They gave an athletic Jefferson team hell and kept the scores respectable against a good Atlanta squad. Coach Briles will have a lot to work with since. Don’t know how many graduated, but the freshman and jv squads were a combined 19-1 so there’s some good young fellas coming up. 

Our QB was only at about 60 percent. With a healthy QB I believe it would have been a lopsided game. I mean, they barely got us with our leading weapon with a pretty bad ankle. 

25 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Didn’t know that TDB. They say football is a team sport, and it is totally, but when the guy that touches the ball on every snap wheel is wobbly, it’s gonna hurt the team. 

And the injury was probably the #1 reason Tatum didn't win district. Really hampered the Eagles in the final district game in their loss to Gladewater. Healthy and Tatum would have been a dangerous team in the playoffs.

50 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

And the injury was probably the #1 reason Tatum didn't win district. Really hampered the Eagles in the final district game in their loss to Gladewater. Healthy and Tatum would have been a dangerous team in the playoffs.

Probably? C’mon. It was 21-0 after 1st quarter. QB got hurt early 2nd and only lost by 1 point in OT. My personal opinion is that if OB wouldn’t have gotten hurt, Tatum wins District and advances to the State Championship game. 

8 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Probably? C’mon. It was 21-0 after 1st quarter. QB got hurt early 2nd and only lost by 1 point in OT. My personal opinion is that if OB wouldn’t have gotten hurt, Tatum wins District and advances to the State Championship game. 

I agree our time is coming

4 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I think it was a weather shortened game.

3 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I agree. It would be a great pr move imo. If he just placed all his $18,000,000 in a friggin’ cd at 1.5% he’d pull in more than 3X that amount. After reading more into it, I think he was a fall guy that really had no clue. I’m not saying the man shouldn’t make money, I just agree it would look good at restoring his image to the public. 

That would be super classy to do with his salary if something like that were possible.

"Fall guy" would be a good way of putting it. 

This is a hunch coming from someone else that I heard from but I think its pretty interesting. Don't be surprised if Briles hires some assistants that have sons that can play. Specifically one that has a son who is a QB. Then they will implement the spread. As I said that was a hunch from someone else but it peaked my thoughts. 

Just now, chevyman said:

This is a hunch coming from someone else that I heard from but I think its pretty interesting. Don't be surprised if Briles hires some assistants that have sons that can play. Specifically one that has a son who is a QB. Then they will implement the spread. As I said that was a hunch from someone else but it peaked my thoughts. 

I know the media (and some SDC posters) are trying to act like the Briles hiring is a negative that will hurt enrollment...  but that's a rather myopic take in a state like Texas. 

My money is actually on increased move-ins and the aforementioned talented sons of coaches joining the program. 

The national sports media doesn't carry much water around here, especially when it comes to daddies and high school football. Yeah sure, there will continue to be plenty of click-bait screeds lambasting Mount Vernon as the epitome of everything wrong with sports, high school football, Texas, and The South in general...  but ultimately it will be so much urinating in the breeze.

Mount Vernon is about to make a serious run, short-lived though it may be...   they're gonna be salty, and in a hurry.  

7 minutes ago, chevyman said:

I was going to include this possibility when I gave the run down - but usually when I post “speculative” post they get deleted - I’m sure they are deserving of being removed, however you are correct in saying that MV will need a passing QB which it has not had in about 15 seasons