UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

1 minute ago, playactionpass39 said:

Home to Winnsboro

Sweet!   Pinnell graduated from Winnsboro also and did some good work there over the last 20+ years.  Finney can take them to the next level with his new enthusiasm.  He will get more kids out of the halls and into uniform if he is willing to open up the offense and throw the ball.  Looking forward to seeing the new look Raiders this fall!  Well done WISD school Board!

Guess he doesn't care about winning. Whole thing is weird to me. Taking a worse job to go "home" 15 minutes down the road? Winnsboro keeping Pinnel on as AD? Winnsboro could  bump up to 4A with the new school I read about on another thread. That'd make it one of the worse jobs in the state. Good luck to him, but I don't get it. 

Mount Vernon needs to be careful on their hire. Get someone that comes in and changes too much could be bad news for a program in the right direction. I'd say in house or proven outside candidate with a similar mindset.  

12 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Guess he doesn't care about winning. Whole thing is weird to me. Taking a worse job to go "home" 15 minutes down the road? Winnsboro keeping Pinnel on as AD? Winnsboro could  bump up to 4A with the new school I read about on another thread. That'd make it one of the worse jobs in the state. Good luck to him, but I don't get it. 

Mount Vernon needs to be careful on their hire. Get someone that comes in and changes too much could be bad news for a program in the right direction. I'd say in house or proven outside candidate with a similar mindset.  

Maybe he knows something you/we don’t about the kids walking the halls of WHS?   Maybe there are some really talented kids available that have chosen not to play football the last few years who could/would under different circumstances?  Certainly disagree with your comment about Finney not caring about winning.  He has a proven track record.  He knows how to win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Maybe he knows something you/we don’t about the kids walking the halls of WHS?   Maybe there are some really talented kids available that have chosen not to play football the last few years who could/would under different circumstances?  Certainly disagree with your comment about Finney not caring about winning.  He has a proven track record.  He knows how to win.

I always laugh when people think programs are losing because some HC can't get kids to play. Not saying it can't be true, but it seems to be the go to on every coaching change thread for every losing team. Usually that's what the town thinks. "We got good kids this coach just can't get them out, or doesn't know how to use them."  He's walked those halls (Recently) just as much as me and you have. If he thinks there is secret talent he's going off of hearsay. 

Let's say some kids just hated the Winnsboro coach of 20 years and didn't play the past couple of seasons. How is a coach going to pull those kids out of a classroom and beat Tatum or Gladewater? Finney chose sentiment to go home and that's all good, I get it. But its going to take years to get Winnsboro to the point that even Mount Vernon is at now. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

I always laugh when people think programs are losing because some HC can't get kids to play. Not saying it can't be true, but it seems to be the go to on every coaching change thread for every losing team. Usually that's what the town thinks. "We got good kids this coach just can't get them out, or doesn't know how to use them."  He's walked those halls (Recently) just as much as me and you have. If he thinks there is secret talent he's going off of hearsay. 

Let's say some kids just hated the Winnsboro coach of 20 years and didn't play the past couple of seasons. How is a coach going to pull those kids out of a classroom and beat Tatum or Gladewater? Finney chose sentiment to go home and that's all good, I get it. But its going to take years to get Winnsboro to the point that even Mount Vernon is at now. 

It was less about Pinnell and more about the offense he chose to stay with.  Winnsboro has just as much talent as MV year in and year out walking the halls of the school.  If Finney can win in MV he can win in Winnsboro too.  Also I’m fairly confident Finney already lives in Winnsboro.

29 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

It was less about Pinnell and more about the offense he chose to stay with.  Winnsboro has just as much talent as MV year in and year out walking the halls of the school.  If Finney can win in MV he can win in Winnsboro too.  Also I’m fairly confident Finney already lives in Winnsboro.

Offense probably won't be much different unless he goes away from what made him good at MV. He can win. I'm not doubting he's a good coach. I'm just saying he's restarting at a place that is currently worse than MV and at best will be equal to MV now in years (Assuming winnsboro doesn't go up to 4A). Its a step back with no greater upside that's not emotional. Like I said good luck to him. Hopefully the town will by in as long as they did for Pinnell, if he wants to stay that long. 

I also think it would be important to not solely judge the decisions based on what may or may not be considered an "ideal" job to the outside world. I think any person with a brain sees how difficult the district is that Winnsboro is in. I wont dispute that. Its about creating and developing a new exciting culture moving forward. Also being happier goes a long ways to being successful as well. I look forward to him being here and will support him 100%.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Doesn’t care about winning?? Are you kidding me! Coach Finney has won everywhere he has been, and Winnsboro will be no different; he will win there. Write it down!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mvtigerbacker said:

Who would this in house candidate possibly be? No Coordinators are listed. I’m willing to suggest Finney handled both sides of the ball- I could be wrong  

I do NOT know what the situation was in Mt. Vernon and you may very well be right. I was not suggesting a successor, I was merely asking the question.

35 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

Yes he is successful and with realignment coming next year the district probably becomes much easier when those 4A schools go back up.

What 4As do you speak of? Tatum ain't going anywhere. Highly doubt Gladewater does either. Both had numbers dropping them well below the number. 

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

Yes he is successful and with realignment coming next year the district probably becomes much easier when those 4A schools go back up.

Winnsboro sits at the top of 3A. They were 10 kids off Tatum and Gladewater, and building a new school. Next realignment will be interesting. 

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles