UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

8 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

'We have our own opinions here': Despite national outrage, Mount Vernon's first board meeting since Art Briles hire remains cordial

via: @JoeJHoyt 

STORY https://t.co/QOdPxS2wLx

#txhsfb https://t.co/3QRFQUtnPZ

Like so many manufactured maelstroms fabricated by media blowhards, it was more nothing than burger.

I thought this line was quite telling: 

The national conversation, since the moment the hire became official on May 24, has been volatile, but Monday's meeting -- filled with over 60 people -- was underwhelming compared with the national reaction and many expectations.

2 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

It’s June 18th and Briles is still in France.  Assuming his team wins out what is the latest date he would arrive in MV?  So far one assistant on campus - the Strength Coach?

The website has the bowl games set for July 5th-6th. 

7 hours ago, AKA said:

Like so many manufactured maelstroms fabricated by media blowhards, it was more nothing than burger.

I thought this line was quite telling: 

I think it just shows that opinions of small town Texas differ mightily from the opinions of those elsewhere...I always personally thought if Briles was going to coach again it'd be in small town Texas HS Football...ultimately Briles and the MVISD school board are there to serve the interests of MVISD and as long as they are happy the opinions of others, regardless of who loud they may yell are irrelevant

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Going to be hard to catchup.

The two hours a week that the UIL allows for sport specifics will be a big help once he gets there...everyone anticipating some big leap from Mount Vernon will probably be underwhelmed this year...but a full off-season and playing 7on7 next summer will likely mean 2020 could be more of an indicator of where Mt Vernon will land under Briles

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

The two hours a week that the UIL allows for sport specifics will be a big help once he gets there...everyone anticipating some big leap from Mount Vernon will probably be underwhelmed this year...but a full off-season and playing 7on7 next summer will likely mean 2020 could be more of an indicator of where Mt Vernon will land under Briles

I agree with you about the expectations for MV this year, especially with the late start.  So the question remains - is it worth it? 

13 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I agree with you about the expectations for MV this year, especially with the late start.  So the question remains - is it worth it? 

Only MV can answer that, but if I lived there I would say it is 💯 worth it. I'm glad someone stepped out on that limb. I hope it works out. Wishing Coach Briles and Mt. Vernon the best.

One Northeast Texas coach that I know, who won a state championship as a head coach, believed 14-19 year old males are smarter than most give them credit for. 

He did not run a set defense with adjustments.  He adjusted his defense to the team he was playing.  He might run the same defense 5 straight weeks, if his team was playing 5 very similar teams. But he might also run 5 different defenses in 5 weeks - 3 man front, 6 man front, whatever he thought best. 

Briles getting to M V in January would have been better than mid-summer, but he can still get things done. 

9 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Agreed considering MV went 9-5 last year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Or 7-5 if our QB wasn’t hurt. Lol

Your team had more talent all over the field. They should have won by a large margin but they were outplayed and out coached by an inferior team. Yes, I was there and yes I was shocked as everybody else was. But giving the lame excuse of the loss was because of one player is just wrong. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I’d agree 110% if said player played any other position, but the QB position is a little different. Missing your QB is going to play a significant role more than if your All State Guard or All American Tight End were out. I’m not taking anything away from MV by any means. Tatum was out coached and were vastly more athletic. 

Oh I agree that it makes it tougher without your starting QB, and if both teams were evenly matched going in I would agree that that player/position would make a difference...but that was not the case here. Tatum out "athleted" MV at every position and it shouldn't have made a difference who took the snap...just got outplayed and outcoached...period.

40 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

Your team had more talent all over the field. They should have won by a large margin but they were outplayed and out coached by an inferior team. Yes, I was there and yes I was shocked as everybody else was. But giving the lame excuse of the loss was because of one player is just wrong. 

More of a fact than excuse. The QB position makes a huge difference. I’m pretty sure the Gladewater fans would tell you the same. With a healthy QB, we coulda kept our offense on the field and MV’s offense off the field. It wouldn’t have been a very close game. Besides, I was poking fun at Matt because he said “had” kinda like if he was saying “if”. It was said more in fun than anything else. 

• Stinks 1

5 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

More of a fact than excuse. The QB position makes a huge difference. I’m pretty sure the Gladewater fans would tell you the same. With a healthy QB, we coulda kept our offense on the field and MV’s offense off the field. It wouldn’t have been a very close game. Besides, I was poking fun at Matt because he said “had” kinda like if he was saying “if”. It was said more in fun than anything else. 

You’ve used that excuse many times since the game happened and it still reeks. You just can’t admit your team got outplayed and out coached. Period. 

Just now, blesseddaily said:

LOLOL!! Excuses, excuses, excuses!! Or as coaches say..."losers limp"!! 

Oh, I said them taking late shots is why we lost? Nah, just saying they was dirty. I’m trying to figure out why you’re bent outta shape over my opinion. I know I know, I’m making excuses. Our QB wasn’t really hurt I’m just making it up to have an excuse. You’re right though, they played just barely good enough to beat us with our Field General on crutches. Lol  now on to this year. How’s your MV Lions gonna look this year?

• Stinks 1