UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Art Briles

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

After reading into it, I found Baylor paid him $18,000,000.00 to leave!!!! Couple of things. He’s 62. It’s obvious he doesn’t need a paycheck. He’s always maintained his innocence. The guy might just love football. He may stay at MV longer than 2 years. At 64 with millions in the bank, he may just be like MV gave me a second chance so I’m not leaving. Still a sticky situation, but the more I read it looks like the board of regents were looking to pin it on someone. 

I think when it all shakes out we will see he took the minimum pay for the MV opportunity. This ain’t about money, it’s about trying to restore his name and reputation where his career started - Friday Night Lights.  I suspect he will have to use all funds he can get his hands on to assemble the best staff possible of former assistants (or children of his former assistants) & players that already know his system.  With as many as 12 staff members to hire, that’s where he will need the money.  I disagree with you on longevity though.  My bet is he won’t make the full two years at MV.  He and his staff will leave for a larger opportunity and MV will be left starting over again.

22 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

It would be a nice sentiment if he is indeed innocent that he’d stay and show a little loyalty to the school that took a huge risk bringing him back. He’s supposedly just wanted back home. Well he’s here now. Show MV some gratitude for stepping out on a shaky limb for you. Money isn’t an issue for sure. $18,000,000.00 will go along way in Franklin county. 

I will say Lake Bob Sandlin and Lake Cypress Springs are nice areas for retirement.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, btex said:

In past yes, last four or five no. I know for several years they were at least 3 rounds. Not sure what he will do for staff, I believe he has to keep what is there, might be able to bring 1. 

This is just a stepping stone to create future opportunities.  I guess we can say that about most coaching opportunities though can’t we?

2 hours ago, btex said:

In past yes, last four or five no. I know for several years they were at least 3 rounds. Not sure what he will do for staff, I believe he has to keep what is there, might be able to bring 1. 

I think they have been in the 7-4 range the past few years

58 minutes ago, btex said:

Was last two or three bad? I thought like 1 or 2 wins? Not sure guess I could look it up but knew a person who applied there and thought that is what he said

Mt Vernon went 3 rounds deep in playoffs last year beating Tatum & Dallas Madison. They got beat by Atlanta in round 3.

1 hour ago, Bclove05 said:

Wonder if Mt Vernon will get a large donation from a “secret” donor in the near future to upgrade the football stadium. 

They’re going to have to do something because you know there are going to be some serious, serious crowds there. I’m curious to see how fast that girls b-ball Coach hits the road ha! He went from somebody to irrelevant in one hire! Needless to say that clown will no longer be causing any problems nor will his running buddy the boys b-ball Coach. 

Must admit.......this IS one big ol' story in Texas High School football, for sure.  You can take the man out of Texas,  but you just can't take Texas out of the man.  Most of us understand the meaning and love for Texas high school football and Friday night lights.......there's just no other place on planet Earth like it.  

7 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Must admit.......this IS one big ol' story in Texas High School football, for sure.  You can take the man out of Texas,  but you just can't take Texas out of the man.  Most of us understand the meaning and love for Texas high school football and Friday night lights.......there's just no other place on planet Earth like it.  

Allow me to add to that statement.........not even on Saturdays with the NCAA or Sundays with the NFL.   That's just the royal truth in Texas.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheNameIsDalton said:

Briles is a Scapegoat.Someone much further up the food chain is being protected, from I read.

1 hour ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Briles is a Scapegoat.Someone much further up the food chain is being protected, from I read.

Bries is not a scapegoat.  Remember when Briles sued Baylor for defamation ?  Baylor admin kept all of Briles E-mails then released one talking about all the money the football team has brought to Baylor.  He didn't care about if a few girls got assaulted.  Briles withdrew the lawsuit quickly.  Old people don't understand E-mails are forever.  

Ken Star , the person in charge Baylor , resigned.  This is the same Ken Star who impeached Bill Clinton on moral grounds.  Now Star has is known for covering rape up and retaliating against women who came forward in reporting sexual assault.  Both Baylor and Briles has lost a ton of money in lawsuit settlements.  

The Waco Police Chief committed suicide in Alabama I believe when he was about to be arrested.  There is a bunch of others that should be in prison.  

• Stinks 3

1 hour ago, Bock said:

I found this excerpt interesting: 

Baylor’s administration deserved the media scrutiny and punishment, but Briles did not. One thing stands clear — Coach Art Briles was wrongfully fired by Baylor University, as evidenced by:

• Baylor’s significant payment to him — more than $15 million, according to federal tax forms filed by the school in March. If there were reason to fire him, no payment was necessary.
  • There were no facts of any Briles wrongdoing cited in the sole document written by Pepper Hamilton after its investigation.
  • Former President Starr’s declaration there were no underlying facts reported of any Briles misconduct.
  • Dismissal, due to lack of evidence, of the one and only lawsuit against him.
  • Failure of victims or anyone else showing evidence against him to claim a $10,000 reward.
  • Baylor’s letter exonerating him.

In fairness, ESPN, the Dallas Morning News, Wall Street Journal and hundreds of other news media were misled by the Baylor board’s expensive public relations campaign whose strategy was to direct attention away from the board and its own institutional failings and to cast blame on Briles and the football program. The same media need to investigate the true facts as to Briles and publish them with the same vigor as before.

On 5/27/2019 at 6:57 PM, UnclePig said:

They’re going to have to do something because you know there are going to be some serious, serious crowds there. I’m curious to see how fast that girls b-ball Coach hits the road ha! He went from somebody to irrelevant in one hire! Needless to say that clown will no longer be causing any problems nor will his running buddy the boys b-ball Coach. 

MT VERNON ( 9-4 / 4-2 )

W1 - BONHAM 48-21
W2 - FARMERSVILLE 5-0
W3 - @ CANTON 28-29
W4 - @ WINNSBORO 41-6
W5 - @ HUGHES SPRINGS 38-20
W6 - BYE
W7 - JEFFERSON 14-20
W8 - @ ATLANTA 22-41
W9 - HOOKS 38-0
W10 - @ REDWATER 55-6
W11 - NEW BOSTON 28-0

W12 - TATUM 32-26
W13 - DALLAS MADISON 52-8
W14 - ATLANTA 14-38

2 hours ago, CENTEXFAN said:

MT VERNON ( 9-4 / 4-2 )

W1 - BONHAM 48-21
W2 - FARMERSVILLE 5-0
W3 - @ CANTON 28-29
W4 - @ WINNSBORO 41-6
W5 - @ HUGHES SPRINGS 38-20
W6 - BYE
W7 - JEFFERSON 14-20
W8 - @ ATLANTA 22-41
W9 - HOOKS 38-0
W10 - @ REDWATER 55-6
W11 - NEW BOSTON 28-0

W12 - TATUM 32-26
W13 - DALLAS MADISON 52-8
W14 - ATLANTA 14-38

9-1 Freshman

10-0 JV 

48 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

MVtigerbacker - does MV have the dudes to transition to the spread?

They have been so incredibly successful with the ground and pound game- I’d hate to know that they would change away from it- I’m not sure MV has ever been able  to out athlete many schools - especially the Tatums, jeffersons, Atlantas of the world- I would think that staying with their current system and adding a better passing game with it would be special- When teams load 10 or 11 in the box MV struggled - go watch the MV Kemp game 2 years ago to see what I mean. MV will still ground and pound most likely but instead of 3 or 4 passes a game maybe 10-12 passes a game to keep the D honest - But in short NO they will not be as successful spreading it around (IMHO)

12 minutes ago, mvtigerbacker said:

They have been so incredibly successful with the ground and pound game- I’d hate to know that they would change away from it- I’m not sure MV has ever been able  to out athlete many schools - especially the Tatums, jeffersons, Atlantas of the world- I would think that staying with their current system and adding a better passing game with it would be special- When teams load 10 or 11 in the box MV struggled - go watch the MV Kemp game 2 years ago to see what I mean. MV will still ground and pound most likely but instead of 3 or 4 passes a game maybe 10-12 passes a game to keep the D honest - But in short NO they will not be as successful spreading it around (IMHO)

Thanks for the insight.  How many 2018 coaches are still employed by MV?  Is Beiles really going to have to bring 12 to fill all the vacancies?