2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

9 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

I say no to making a freshman a QB on varsity.

I hate this mentality.

If the older kids aren't any better, why not start the 9th grader and start developing him now? 

Several 6A programs around the state with freshmen QBs on varsity. Cibolo Steele's QB has been starting since his 9th grade year and Duncanville has a 9th grader backing up Jaquinden Jackson.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I hate this mentality.

If the older kids aren't any better, why not start the 9th grader and start developing him now? 

Several 6A programs around the state with freshmen QBs on varsity. Cibolo Steele's QB has been starting since his 9th grade year and Duncanville has a 9th grader backing up Jaquinden Jackson.

Hince why those programs go far every year, they play the best players!! Play the freshman if the best QB you got! 

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

I hate this mentality.

exactly. JT had two freshman starters this yr (one at WR and another at DE). 

2 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Maybe its Sanchez job next yr.  He was just a soph, so maybe he takes a big step forward next yr. I hope so.

If JT wants to win he is not the answer. The dude couldn’t throw ten yards down the field. If he is the answer it will be a repeat of this past season. 

5 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Yea, I figured that would happen with the new rule in place.  Hope he comes back to JT, but with him leaving, you never know how that will affect his status with the team.

Agree. But the Chapel Hill kid left for a year and came back and I guess everyone forgave him.  Never know though

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ANTI said:

I hate this mentality.

I say give home time on JV. Most freshman that come in aren’t big enough yet to play with the bigger players.

3 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

If JT wants to win he is not the answer. The dude couldn’t throw ten yards down the field. If he is the answer it will be a repeat of this past season. 

That didn’t let him throw it down the field. He was only in there to hand off the ball. 

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Yea, I figured that would happen with the new rule in place.  Hope he comes back to JT, but with him leaving, you never know how that will affect his status with the team.

I knew it was going to happen. 

6 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Hince why those programs go far every year, they play the best players!! Play the freshman if the best QB you got! 

Hence is PROBABLY why we are sitting at the house here in Longview. Same type of scenario over here to a degree. We didn't play our freshman receiver who only caught everything that was thrown to him and kept giving a Senior receiver all the opportunities to keep dropping MOST of everything that was thrown to him. Play your BEST players - period; then live with the results. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Yeah.

I've always hated the "start the senior just cause he's a senior" mentality. Players dont develop in that system. Everything is timing of course and some times you cant help but start a senior....but if the younger player has a higher ceiling and the senior or upperclassman isnt a multi year starter...you start the younger player every single time.

No rotations or any of that nonsense, just let em loose.

10 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

That didn’t let him throw it down the field. He was only in there to hand off the ball. 

With all due  respect, the kid can't throw PERIOD. The freshman will be your starter. He's going to have growing pains IMO. Next season is going to be a mystery IMO as well. 

18 hours ago, CUJONATION83 said:

With all due  respect, the kid can't throw PERIOD. The freshman will be your starter. He's going to have growing pains IMO. Next season is going to be a mystery IMO as well. 

First off he didn’t throw anything down the field. So do tell me what he can and cannot do when he wasn’t given the chance to do it to begin with.

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread