Most overrated programs

Jerryhawk111

This will probably ruffle some feathers....and it's not intended to....but let's go.

My top two...

1) Lufkin...two trips past the second round in the last 13 years. One trip past the third round in those same 13 years. They went from a State Championship team, with trips to the Semi Finals in 3 of 4 years, and have completely fallen off from that expectations since their last trip to the Semis in 2005, despite three years in a lower classification. 18-4 in the playoffs from 2001 to 2005. 7-13 in the post season since (06 to 18). I think their fan base recognizes it, but last season was really made for them to get to the big one, and they weren't able to do it.

2) Marshall...back to back trip to the State Finals in 2004 and 2005. Since, it's been a lot of regular season success (obviously some of those years were some of the worst in program history as well). But they still haven't made it back to even the State Quarterfinals since, despite a lot of hype more recently (and a ton of hype again this season). 8-2 in those 2 playoff years. Since (06 to 18), 8-10 in the post season, with just three trips past the second round...all ending in losses in round 3. Have they had some close calls in the post season (more so the last two seasons in their losses), sure. But with all the hype that the fan base has been excited about, they haven't been able to punch it to the next level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I wouldn’t call Cujo overrated. They just can’t get over the final step. They’ve dominated most of the competition. Have they had disappointing years? Sure. But getting to the Quarters/Semis has been a regular occurrence for the blue and white the last decade.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

As far as football is concerned, Argyle. Not overrated at anything else, but definitely in football. Ranked #1 every year. Only finished 1st once.

Arglye is 141-17 in the past 10 years. And only been playing fooball since 2002. 

I'm not a big fan of Argyle and get what you're saying about being ranked 1st several times and only winning once, but can't really say they are overrated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Arglye is 141-17 in the past 10 years. And only been playing fooball since 2002. 

I'm not a big fan of Argyle and get what you're saying about being ranked 1st several times and only winning once, but can't really say they are overrated. 

Depends on your definition of overrated I guess. Maybe overrated is not the right term to describe Argyle. They schedule some tough games for sure, but a lot of those wins are over bad teams in a bad district (most years). They are also in R1 a lot of years, and if you know 4a (old 3a) ball then you know what I mean about R1. 

Awesome program. But they are supposed to be unbeatable every year, ranked #1, and have their best team ever. And they always get beat.

But it’s just an opinion for sure. Can easily see what you are saying too.

34 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I wouldn’t call Cujo overrated. They just can’t get over the final step. They’ve dominated most of the competition. Have they had disappointing years? Sure. But getting to the Quarters/Semis has been a regular occurrence for the blue and white the last decade.

Yea that’s what I meant. Not sure overrated is the right word.

I guess it’s basically my same point on Argyle. Maybe overrated is not the right term. Maybe underachieve?

• Like 1

The only difference between last seasons Longview and other seasons imo is Qb play. Longview has been elite qb play away from a title several years. Thats how you beat them as well. You must have a dang good qb and balanced running game. And able to load the box to slow down their rbs without fear of an accurate passer behind center. 

16 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

One season doesn’t change a decade of over-inflated expectations. 

One season? 

Since 2004, 168-36 (84-6), 13 district titles, 3 state appearances, 1 ship, 2 semifinal appearances, 2 quarterfinal appearances.. all of this in the 5A/6A class as a non-suburban school mind you.

How is that overrated?

Image result for obama gif

• Thanks 3
  • Stinks 1

6 minutes ago, mav01 said:

The only difference between last seasons Longview and other seasons imo is Qb play. 

That was a big part of it, but lets not forget the amazing special teams Longview had and that "it" factor on defense in Jephaniah Lister who owns Longview's career tackling record.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ANTI said:

One season? 

Since 2004, 168-36 (84-6), 13 district titles, 3 state appearances, 1 ship, 2 semifinal appearances, 2 quarterfinal appearances.. all of this in the 5A/6A class as a non-suburban school mind you.

How is that overrated?

Image result for obama gif

13 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

I think what you're saying about Longview is similar to what bulldogbacker was saying about Argyle.  More disappointing than overrated 

Longview’s fan base has expected State Championships even when it wasn’t realistic.

Tha’s what I’m talking about.

I’m not a Longview hater. Their expectations just weren’t real sometimes. 

51 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

One season doesn’t change a decade of over-inflated expectations. 

Wins in the last 2 decades (in East Texas from 6A to 4A)...2000 to 2018

Gilmer - 213
Longview - 195
Carthage - 184
Lufkin - 181
Kilgore & Texas High - 157
Jasper - 150
Van - 147
John Tyler - 144
Liberty-Eylau - 135
Henderson - 130
Pleasant Grove & Sulphur Springs - 123
Caddo Mills & Marshall - 121
Canton - 120
Paris - 114
Lindale - 111
Whitehouse - 110
Fairfield & Tyler Lee - 109
Pittsburg - 108
Chapel Hill - 106
Wills Point - 105
Palestine - 101
Hallsville & Rusk & Spring Hill - 97
North Lamar - 95
Jacksonville - 90
Center - 89
Brownsboro - 85
Athens - 78
Bullard - 74
Mount Pleasant - 71
Nacogdoches - 69
Pine Tree - 53
Mabank - 46
Huntington - 22

Only 3 programs have reached 90 or more wins in a decade the last two decades in 6A and 5A in East Texas..
- Lufkin 108 (2000-2009)
- Texas High 93 (2000-2009)
And you guessed it...Longview...twice.
- 97 (2000-2009)
- 98 (2010-2018)

(And just to throw it in for 4A, only Gilmer and Carthage have reached over 90 wins in a decade on that level as well. Gilmer with 112 in 2000-2009 and in 2010-2018 with 101. Carthage with 108 in 2010-2018).

(Note: John Tyler should reach the 90 wins or more in a decade mark this season as they sit at 89 from 2010 to 2018)

You can say Longview has underachieved some if you wanted...but we're the only program in the area, other than Gilmer, that has averaged 10 wins over the last 20 seasons, and we will reach that point again this year unless something horrendous occurs.

We've lost some playoff games we should've won. Every program does. And yes, we didn't bring home the final prize until last season. But Longview is anything but overrated, especially among East Texas schools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2