Most overrated programs

Jerryhawk111

9 minutes ago, Dfield2010champs said:

then you’ll be on par with us. 

If we go 1-9 anytime soon, I'll definitely hit ya up and let you know that we are now on par with the mecca that is DField Tiger football. 

11 minutes ago, Tiredofit said:

I can honestly say I have never seen a bigger jack then ANTI

Scroll to the top right, click your handle, scroll down to 'ignored users' and walla....problem fixed.

16 hours ago, ANTI said:

Spring Hill and Pine Tree definitely do count lol

I'd even argue Hallsville too since they get all of East Longview.

My intent is those schools aren’t LISD. The metro schools are in the same school district. Duncanville, Desoto, Allen, SLC  and Cedar Hill are few of the only 1school towns up here.

4 hours ago, randomuser said:

My intent is those schools aren’t LISD. The metro schools are in the same school district. Duncanville, Desoto, Allen, SLC  and Cedar Hill are few of the only 1school towns up here.

I get what you were trying to say, but Longview isn't a "one school" city, because  Pine Tree and Spring Hill are actually in Longview...they aren't rural schools in which their district lines just happen to take a portion of the city, like Hallsville.  Most of Pine Tree and Spring Hill district boundaries fall within the city limits.

5 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Honest question here. How do you consider Longview to be rural? I mean I guess in the land of 6A Longview is considered rural compared to the DFW metroplex. You gotta understand I’m from Pewitt. It’s comprised of two little towns with the combined population of about 2,200 so Longview is a metropolis to me. Hell I get a little nervy driving in Mt. pleasant. 

Longview is what's classified as a "rural city". Similar to Tyler. Pewitt, or Omaha, more so a "rural town" or "rural community". That's what I meant by that.

Non suburban city would be best way to describe it I suppose.

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Great season this year. Always glad to see East Texas boys beat the metroplex. I suspect you see why I troll Daingerfield so much after I read the last couple pages of this thread. 

20 miles for McDonalds takes a special type of hungry lol and Thanks, wish more were like you. 

And definitely see the reason for trolling. 

think In 1999 Liberty-Eylau was not ranked all season in 3A, but won the Division I state championship; Pretty much the same story in 2006; I can think of three seasons where L-E was in the top 10 and the Leopards didn't go far in the playoffs. What you have to remember about L-E is its schedule almost every year. L-E has a top-notched program and I don't think you can judge a great program on records alone. I've got nothing really bad to say about Gilmer, but for years they were in a terrible district and had gaudy records going into the playoffs. Now the Buckeyes are in a pretty strong district, but still winning. Don't judge a team by its cover (record).

26 minutes ago, TheTrueKing said:

It seems year after year Trinity gets talked about being a contender but it seems most years they fall short of expectations. Manvel was 1 yard away from a state championship not long ago. 

I don’t remember over the past five years or so now Trinity being touted too much.  Maybe I have missed it, possible. 

Trinity is touted because they were one of the best programs in the state from 2005 to 2010, going to four state championship games at the absolute highest level in those 6 seasons (and should’ve gone to a fifth if not for a stupid fake punt against SLC in Texas Stadium).

Even thought they haven’t replicated that success, they’ve still been to three State Quarterfinal games since that run, coming up short against Allen and DeSoto. 

Trinity might not be the dominate program they once were a decade ago, but they’re still an extremely solid program.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:29 PM, 68Hornet said:

think In 1999 Liberty-Eylau was not ranked all season in 3A, but won the Division I state championship; Pretty much the same story in 2006; I can think of three seasons where L-E was in the top 10 and the Leopards didn't go far in the playoffs. What you have to remember about L-E is its schedule almost every year. L-E has a top-notched program and I don't think you can judge a great program on records alone. I've got nothing really bad to say about Gilmer, but for years they were in a terrible district and had gaudy records going into the playoffs. Now the Buckeyes are in a pretty strong district, but still winning. Don't judge a team by its cover (record).

In regards to Gilmer, they couldn't help what district they were in. I agree, after the original District of Doom was changed, they were in some pretty weak districts; however once the playoffs started, they took care of business more often than not. Gilmer isn't as strong as they were under Traylor or even right after he left. I just think the turnover in Coaches and overall team depth has played a role in that. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back this year from their first losing season in years, even though they still went 3 rounds deep. 

2 hours ago, SHillBuckeye said:

In regards to Gilmer, they couldn't help what district they were in. I agree, after the original District of Doom was changed, they were in some pretty weak districts; however once the playoffs started, they took care of business more often than not. Gilmer isn't as strong as they were under Traylor or even right after he left. I just think the turnover in Coaches and overall team depth has played a role in that. Will be interesting to see how they bounce back this year from their first losing season in years, even though they still went 3 rounds deep. 

Yep.  I would wager a bet that if Gilmer would've had a choice of what district to play in they would've chose one in East Texas.  Nobody can do anything about the 4 years they were in those weak districts.  Honestly, I don't think their record would've been much different at all during those years even if they would've played in the District of Doom.  I miss those tough games every week.  Less travel, more gate revenue, big games every week..., it doesn't get much better than that.

I just hope and pray that we can get back to the level of play we were at during Jeff's years here.  The turnover in our coaching staff is the biggest reason for the dropoff over the last 3 years or so.  It starts with taking care of the ball offensively - not being so predictable, and playing better defensely.  There's times where our players seem completely lost on what they're supposed to do on the field on any given play.  That falls on the coaching staff, in my opinion.

Let's not kid ourselves. There was a lot of turnover here in Gilmer, but I would argue there aren't as many "Jimmys and Joes" out for the program either.

You just have to look at the number of D1 FBS recruits off the 2014 team versus more recently for proof of that.

3 hours ago, 36gut said:

Let's not kid ourselves. There was a lot of turnover here in Gilmer, but I would argue there aren't as many "Jimmys and Joes" out for the program either.

You just have to look at the number of D1 FBS recruits off the 2014 team versus more recently for proof of that.

While you are speaking truth, there were some years in those 15 seasons under Traylor where we had similar talent to what we see today, and we were still winning a whole lot of games.  Those players were coached up all the way through junior high into high school.  We turned the ball over a LOT less, and played solid defense (though not staunch) during Traylor's tenure.  Unless we're talking about God-given abilities that are well above normal, it takes time to develop players into FBS recruits.  I think we're still capable of producing 3 to 4 FBS players almost every season if they were being developed like they were back then.  We're settling for about 1 or 2 now, with a couple D2, D3, or JC recruits.  As I said before, the coaching staff has a lot to do with player development.