2019 Kilgore Football Thread

kildog84

On 5/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, kildog84 said:

2018 JV offense was nice , QB had a gun for a arm and has speed when he needs it . He has height that we haven’t had in QB position for awhile and he is a really good kid . They did pass when needed and could really cover a lot of ground after the catch . Dean as OC I think is good , as long as he is able to call the plays that he sees to be the right ones . Defense for JV would flat get after you , there was not a whole of scoring on them throughout the year . Really would have liked to see them and carthage play that last game but weather did not cooperate . 

Kilgore JV has only lost 2 games the past two years. Coach Dean is a good coach and uses a wide variety of plays. That defense was pretty awesome. The dline and LBs got after it every play. If recall correctly, they held Palestine to negative rushing yards. The Carthage game would have been a classic, we sat under the bleachers for ever, waiting and waiting until it was finally called off. 

I believe the varsity defense will be pretty tough to deal with this year. Several guys on there that have a few years of varsity experience under their belts. 3-4 on the dline and 2-3 LBs. With what is coming up from the JV, I believe Kilgore will have a lot of depth on the defensive side of the ball. 

Is it football season yet!?

4 hours ago, KilgoreFan said:

Kilgore JV has only lost 2 games the past two years. Coach Dean is a good coach and uses a wide variety of plays. That defense was pretty awesome. The dline and LBs got after it every play. If recall correctly, they held Palestine to negative rushing yards. The Carthage game would have been a classic, we sat under the bleachers for ever, waiting and waiting until it was finally called off. 

I believe the varsity defense will be pretty tough to deal with this year. Several guys on there that have a few years of varsity experience under their belts. 3-4 on the dline and 2-3 LBs. With what is coming up from the JV, I believe Kilgore will have a lot of depth on the defensive side of the ball. 

True !

12 hours ago, kildog84 said:

True !

16 hours ago, KilgoreFan said:

Kilgore definitely has a lot of talent coming up, not just football but a wide range of sports. Future looks bright.

• Like 1

Kilgore since they played in Carthage at Jerry World:

Year    Record    PPG     Opp. PPG

2014:     4-7         25            23

2015:     8-4         30            21

2016:     7-5         30            26

2017:     9-4         38            28

2018:     3-8         24            30

2 hours ago, KildogDad said:

Wow I hadn’t really looked at the numbers until now . No doubt some changes were needed . There is no reason with the talent in kilgore we shouldn’t be putting up better numbers . 

20 hours ago, KildogDad said:

Looks like we are due for another 8-4 or 9-4 season, or better. I'll take it. Hopefully this defense will hold opponents to under 25 ppg. 

2 hours ago, KilgoreFan said:

Looks like we are due for another 8-4 or 9-4 season, or better. I'll take it. Hopefully this defense will hold opponents to under 25 ppg. 

The Dog's are gonna surprise some folks!! Because that jv squad last year wasn't a fluke I was hoping to see them get in that playoff whopping MH put on the varsity last yr. But Woody never put them in so these boys will get to finally show what they can do on the Friday night stage now!!

17 hours ago, WhoamI97539 said:

The Dog's are gonna surprise some folks!! Because that jv squad last year wasn't a fluke I was hoping to see them get in that playoff whopping MH put on the varsity last yr. But Woody never put them in so these boys will get to finally show what they can do on the Friday night stage now!!

I agree ,this group has been rolling since they were little. Hopefully they will turn them loose and they will continue to win .

2 hours ago, kildog84 said:

I agree ,this group has been rolling since they were little. Hopefully they will turn them loose and they will continue to win .

I think the offensive line might surprise some folks. Those guys have been (for the most part) together since 7th grade.  Johnson, Woodside, Cj, Silvey, Flores. There are a few others whose names I can't remember, but those five have played together since then.

That JV was a monster. I think Pitt was the only team that played them fairly close?  18-16?  (Correct me on the score, my memory is horrid)  Some of those kids should have been on varsity. The dline from end to end were in the back field most of the time and the lbs were in on most every tackle. Even the last four games of the year, after Henderson was moved up to varisty and they put Wallace in at lb for the first time, he did a good job. The whole team did.   The qb has a cannon of an arm, the backfield play was great, even the jv oline came together and started opening holes. It was fun to watch. This group will certainly help solidify and add depth to what we have returning, which is quite a bit on the varsity level. I'm not worried about defense at all. If we can match the speed, they'll make the plays. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 4:17 PM, KilgoreFan said:

What would you say Dean's ratio of run to pass plays would be?

6 hours ago, KilgoreFan said:

I think the offensive line might surprise some folks. Those guys have been (for the most part) together since 7th grade.  Johnson, Woodside, Cj, Silvey, Flores. There are a few others whose names I can't remember, but those five have played together since then.

That JV was a monster. I think Pitt was the only team that played them fairly close?  18-16?  (Correct me on the score, my memory is horrid)  Some of those kids should have been on varsity. The dline from end to end were in the back field most of the time and the lbs were in on most every tackle. Even the last four games of the year, after Henderson was moved up to varisty and they put Wallace in at lb for the first time, he did a good job. The whole team did.   The qb has a cannon of an arm, the backfield play was great, even the jv oline came together and started opening holes. It was fun to watch. This group will certainly help solidify and add depth to what we have returning, which is quite a bit on the varsity level. I'm not worried about defense at all. If we can match the speed, they'll make the plays. 

I agree with you 100%

2 hours ago, KildogDad said:

I really couldn’t tell you , it just seemed like it was way more balanced than varsity . They were not a total throwing team but they may throw it on any down not just when they were getting in trouble . Seemed to keep the defense guessing a little better . 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KildogDad said:

Just a rough guesstimate, I'd say it was maybe 6-7:1. I could be totally wrong, but in my head that seems about right.    Some games less, some more.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 6:42 PM, KildogDad said:

Question- Is it safe to say if this trend continues the coach is on the "hot" seat? I mean, with that kind of enrollment and athletes Kilgore should go at least 3-4 deep every year.

11 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Question- Is it safe to say if this trend continues the coach is on the "hot" seat? I mean, with that kind of enrollment and athletes Kilgore should go at least 3-4 deep every year.

Coach Wood came with Vallery 25 years ago. I would imagine he’s got probably 5-7 years until he retires. I wouldn’t figure he’ll be on the hot seat at all. Kilgore will let him leave on his own terms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

22 minutes ago, broncbuster11 said:

Coach Wood came with Vallery 25 years ago. I would imagine he’s got probably 5-7 years until he retires. I wouldn’t figure he’ll be on the hot seat at all. Kilgore will let him leave on his own terms. 

According to Maxpreps, Woods win percentage is around 60% averaging 8 wins a year and going a couple of rounds deep. The change at OC for the coming season may result in a better record than last year.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 9:51 AM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Lets take a look at his record at Kilgore.

9-5

12-3

14-1

4-7

8-4

7-5

9-4

3-8

So... two losing seasons and you think he should be on the hot seat? The only trend I see is a winning record over all.  Now with that posted, I do believe Vallery's last two years in Kilgore were losing seasons.  3-7, 5-6. Then Wood takes over and goes 35-9 over the next three seasons.    You also throw out enrollment as if every single male student in a school plays sports and more students some how magically equals state titles.. ?   You might also want to think about move-ins, Kilgore usually does not have very many at all. I can think of maybe 1-2 in the past couple of years. I believe the last two we had actually went back to the school they came from before football even started. 

2 hours ago, KilgoreFan said:

Lets take a look at his record at Kilgore.

9-5

12-3

14-1

4-7

8-4

7-5

9-4

3-8

So... two losing seasons and you think he should be on the hot seat? The only trend I see is a winning record over all.  Now with that posted, I do believe Vallery's last two years in Kilgore were losing seasons.  3-7, 5-6. Then Wood takes over and goes 35-9 over the next three seasons.    You also throw out enrollment as if every single male student in a school plays sports and more students some how magically equals state titles.. ?   You might also want to think about move-ins, Kilgore usually does not have very many at all. I can think of maybe 1-2 in the past couple of years. I believe the last two we had actually went back to the school they came from before football even started. 

Before you get your panties in a wad it was merely a question to the other post. And why don't you question the other Kilgore poster that said "there's no doubt we should be putting up better numbers"?

Like I said it was a question that honestly really doesn't matter if you get right down to it. Carry on

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Before you get your panties in a wad it was merely a question to the other post. And why don't you question the other Kilgore poster that said "there's no doubt we should be putting up better numbers"?

Like I said it was a question that honestly really doesn't matter if you get right down to it. Carry on

I don't wear underwear, good sir..  but thanks for checking.   I merely posted a coach's record, so that you would have the facts, and stated my opinion that using enrollment is no indication of team's success. If that angers you, I suggest a beer, massage, or maybe kick some rocks while you stroll down a back country road. 

Of course Kilgore should be doing a bit better with the talent they usually have, but to relate that in some way to the school's total enrollment is not a great argument.  Maybe next time, talk about coaching, using a different offense, or other things that actually happen to do with football and the success of teams.

Now lets get to the athletes that you claim they have. This graduating senior class was not football talent heavy. They were in baseball. This is nothing new, we've known this for quite some time.  The classes that are coming up are fairly laden with football talent. If Kilgore does not produce some high quality teams in the next 3-4 years, I think a lot more people might question why. 

1 hour ago, KilgoreFan said:

I don't wear underwear, good sir..  but thanks for checking.   I merely posted a coach's record, so that you would have the facts, and stated my opinion that using enrollment is no indication of team's success. If that angers you, I suggest a beer, massage, or maybe kick some rocks while you stroll down a back country road. 

Of course Kilgore should be doing a bit better with the talent they usually have, but to relate that in some way to the school's total enrollment is not a great argument.  Maybe next time, talk about coaching, using a different offense, or other things that actually happen to do with football and the success of teams.

Now lets get to the athletes that you claim they have. This graduating senior class was not football talent heavy. They were in baseball. This is nothing new, we've known this for quite some time.  The classes that are coming up are fairly laden with football talent. If Kilgore does not produce some high quality teams in the next 3-4 years, I think a lot more people might question why. 

Hope it works out for y'all!

I keep seeing all this stuff about talent and all the talent and great athletes they have.  I think some people just assume because they used to they still do.  Look at the number of recruits they’ve had in football compared to Carthage, Henderson, Gilmer over the last 5 or so years and it’s not even close.  Even the few recruits they have had are mostly small school/junior college types.  

• Like 1

Aside from the '17 offense, Kilgore's overall talent level has been below average for the past 5 years..... especially when comparing to teams like Carthage, Henderson, etc.... and they still managed to win a couple of district championships in that span. From what I've seen at the sub-varsity level the last couple of years..... the talent level will be above average for at least the next 3 years..... and I'd be willing to bet we'll see more wins and deeper playoff runs.

17 hours ago, hookem98 said:

I keep seeing all this stuff about talent and all the talent and great athletes they have.  I think some people just assume because they used to they still do.  Look at the number of recruits they’ve had in football compared to Carthage, Henderson, Gilmer over the last 5 or so years and it’s not even close.  Even the few recruits they have had are mostly small school/junior college types.  

Name a “recruit” (move-in) for Carthage or Henderson? I guess there are some, but I don’t remember any making a big impact. Most of the top playmakers for Carthage last couple years had parents that graduated from CHS. I can’t really speak for Henderson. But I would guess the same.

I don’t agree with the post from Kilgore posters. With Kilgore’s enrollment they should be playing deep every year and winning 9-10 games at a minimum. Henderson has won 11 games 3 times in the last 5 years. Should’ve won state in 16’ if not for Surratt and Ingram. Whether it’s coaching or the offense they run it’s something. All 3 schools should be equal when it comes to talent. So there is something to it. I’m for sure not saying Wood is on the hot seat, but I would say Kilgore has underachieved after dropping down to 4a (old 3a) other than the first 2 years. 12’ and 13’ should be the expectation in Kilgore in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1