What sport are they terrible at????

Mavchamp

On 5/31/2019 at 1:19 PM, SHillBuckeye said:

Spring Hill

Boys - Football (Although making up some ground...maybe. This year may be interesting).

Girls - Track (Although basketball and softball are right behind)

I wouldn't call Spring Hill recently anywhere near terrible at football. Just a brutal district and I'm assuming talent is hard to keep with the Lobos in town.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mTex said:

I wouldn't call Spring Hill recently anywhere near terrible at football. Just a brutal district and I'm assuming talent is hard to keep with the Lobos in town.

That is the title of the thread. I agree, they aren't "terrible" at football, but it's the "worst" sport for the boys as far as winning recently.

On 6/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

They hired an actual “baseball” coach this past year. He doesn’t know poop about football. Still same old results. You’re right about one thing though. There’s some parents who think little Johnny will be in the MLB

Having a successful high school baseball program is largely tied to having a quality local youth league program that you get players out of. If a kid hasn’t learned how to hit a ball before he gets to 9th grade, Joe DiMaggio couldn’t get him up to speed with kids that have swung the bat since they were 4. Baseball/ softball is about having kids that have learned the skills from a young age. Yes, the coach can make a difference at the high school level, but only if he has the kids to work with. But, it’s a fine line, because most of those kids that have those skills comes with a daddy that thinks he’s more qualified than the coach to run a team. Makes for some high blood pressure situations. 

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 7:46 PM, Acewell said:

SH Girls track, basketball, and softball used to be dominant untill recently.  

I hope this changes fast!

Very excited about a couple of new coaches being hired at Spring Hill to help turn around a couple of programs. Dee Lewis, who was previously the Varsity Boys  Basketball Coach @ Union Grove, has been hired as the Girls Athletic Coordinator, as well as the Varsity Girls Head Basketball Coach. Marty Mayfield, who was previously the Girls JV Coach/Asst Varsity softball coach @ Hallsville, has been hired as the Girls Varsity Softball Coach. Congratulations to these two great Coaches, and welcome to Spring Hill! 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

They hired an actual “baseball” coach this past year. He doesn’t know poop about football. Still same old results. You’re right about one thing though. There’s some parents who think little Johnny will be in the MLB

Most parents need a reality check.

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Having a successful high school baseball program is largely tied to having a quality local youth league program that you get players out of. If a kid hasn’t learned how to hit a ball before he gets to 9th grade, Joe DiMaggio couldn’t get him up to speed with kids that have swung the bat since they were 4. Baseball/ softball is about having kids that have learned the skills from a young age. Yes, the coach can make a difference at the high school level, but only if he has the kids to work with. But, it’s a fine line, because most of those kids that have those skills comes with a daddy that thinks he’s more qualified than the coach to run a team. Makes for some high blood pressure situations. 

You are assuming all the youth coaches know the correct way to teach the basic fundamentals of baseball. On the other side of the coin is the theory that the kids burn out by the time they get to hjgh school

2 hours ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Very excited about a couple of new coaches being hired at Spring Hill to help turn around a couple of programs. Dee Lewis, who was previously the Varsity Boys  Basketball Coach @ Union Grove, has been hired as the Girls Athletic Coordinator, as well as the Varsity Girls Head Basketball Coach. Marty Mayfield, who was previously the Girls JV Coach/Asst Varsity softball coach @ Hallsville, has been hired as the Girls Varsity Softball Coach. Congratulations to these two great Coaches, and welcome to Spring Hill! 

I am very excited about these two also.

51 minutes ago, Destry said:

You are assuming all the youth coaches know the correct way to teach the basic fundamentals of baseball. On the other side of the coin is the theory that the kids burn out by the time they get to hjgh school

You are incorrect sir. I assume nothing. The #1 component of a “quality youth league program” is quality coaches who understand that their job is to teach kids the fundamentals of the game, not to turn them into the next Derek Jeter. The first is an asset to a high school program, the other is a liability. 

3 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

And admit your athletic gene pool is inferior? Shhhhhh never! Lol

Mine is.

My daughter better work hard if she wants to be average at sports. She isn’t getting much genetic athletic ability from me.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Mine is.

My daughter better work hard if she wants to be average at sports. She isn’t getting much genetic athletic ability from me.

I told both of mine when they were in elementary that they better not rely on genetic athletic ability to get them through college, because there is absolutely NONE of that in our gene pool. They both listened, believe it or not. The oldest will be a freshman at SFA this fall on music and academic scholarships. The youngest has a better than average shot at making the twirling line at SFA when she graduates in ‘21. To be honest, they didn’t get the music or dance ability from their dad. I can take some of the credit for their work ethic, but the talent had to come from GOD. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Didn’t Greenville have someone go pro and he only was a part of a couple of wins while in high school?

Yea, I think it was the kid from sfa. Got drafted by Rams I believe. 

If I remember correctly, he was something like 0-40 during his high school career. 

I could be remembering wrong though. 

Yep. John Franklin-Myers. The guy who sacked Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. Part of the Greenville team in the early '10s who went 0-40.

We've also got an offensive lineman, Byron Bell, floating around the league as well.

1 hour ago, Greenville said:

Yep. John Franklin-Myers. The guy who sacked Tom Brady in the Super Bowl. Part of the Greenville team in the early '90s who went 0-40.

We've also got an offensive lineman, Byron Bell, floating around the league as well.

Oh Ok..I thought so. Wasn't wrong THIS TIME, lol. 

'90s????? He's not that old. Just got out of college 1-2 yrs ago didnt he??? 

The same Byron Bell that played briefly with the Cowboys? Went to North Texas I believe? 

On 5/30/2019 at 7:22 AM, Qcsnowflakes said:

Queen City- just about everything

football- won’t even touch that subject

vball- ehh lots of first round exits

b bball- before the last few years they were an embarrassment 

g bball- before mcmellon came they were bad, but she saved the program

Baseball- by far their best sport, but even it can’t overcome the lack of talent their right now

softball- How many coaches have they had?? Several times the coach that started hasn’t finished.

Track- ####

Queen CIty had one of the best small school basketball teams of the 1980's in the 86-87 season. I believe they were something like 29-3. Unfortunately, all three losses that year were to the same team: Hughes Springs. Two in district and then the regional final.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:23 PM, TTman7 said:

Oh Ok..I thought so. Wasn't wrong THIS TIME, lol. 

'90s????? He's not that old. Just got out of college 1-2 yrs ago didnt he??? 

The same Byron Bell that played briefly with the Cowboys? Went to North Texas I believe? 

Yeah, I meant early '10s. Don't know where I got '90s from.

Yes, that same Byron Bell. Went to New Mexico, actually.

• Like 1