What ever happened to Tony Jones from Grapeland (1981–1985)?

OilersFan

He dominated basketball, football, and track and went on to play for the Texas Longhorns, Houston Oilers, and Atlanta Falcons. Does anyone keep in touch with him or know someone who does? I can't find any social media or recent news articles about him anywhere. I'm hoping he's got a wife and kids! Haha

I saw Grapeland play at the State Basketball tournament. It was just before half and Morton had the ball on their end, Tony stole the inbound pass and lay it up on the other end with no time on the clock and just kept running to the dressing room. 

• 2 weeks later...

Man was he fast.  I ran against him in a 200 meter dash my senior year.  I was by no means a track star, but I could compete...so I thought. I had made the finals (back when we ran prelims and finals).  I was staggered out in lane 7.  The first four lanes were Jones, Garrett from Cushing, Lofton from Alto, and my Overton teammate Weldon Kennedy.  The guns goes off and I explode out of the blocks.  But before I even get out of the turn I hear huffing and puffing, and out of the corner of my eye I see a mass of track stars fly past me.  You've heard the term "seeing A******s and elbows?"...Well I saw it.  These guys finished in a mass of athletic greatness as they crossed the finish line, while I watched comfortably from about 30-40 feet behind.  

Side note:  Its a bit embarrassing when you are finishing that race and your competitors are already standing with their hands on their hips and fist bumping.  

• Like 2

I coached Steve Lofton at Alto. I spent 33 years coaching and 25 of those years were at 6A schools. Steve was the fastest kid I ever coached even at the larger schools. He never lost a 100 or 200 in 4 years. I think his Sr year he went 10.3 in the 100 and 20.7 in the 200 at the state meet. Also anchored the 4x1 and sucked Willie Mack Garza from Refugio up. 4x1 went 41.5 which is moving in AA.

6 hours ago, WolverBean said:

6a haven't been around 25 years?.. 

How would you like me to word it? I coached at 5A that is now 6A? That’s too much typing but the point of my post  is Lofton could have run with the (largest classification in the UIL) whether it was 5A or 6A.

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

• 2 months later...

Even though it was just 2A at the time I was able to play against some amazing athletes. Tony Jones was one of them. Edwin Simmons, James Holmes, and Stanley Richards at Hawkins, Clinton Brown at Winona, The Hutchenson brothers from Elhart, Loftons  and Keith Thacker from Alto Domingo Bryant From Garrison

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2019 at 9:48 AM, MUSTANGMANIA said:

Man was he fast.  I ran against him in a 200 meter dash my senior year.  I was by no means a track star, but I could compete...so I thought. I had made the finals (back when we ran prelims and finals).  I was staggered out in lane 7.  The first four lanes were Jones, Garrett from Cushing, Lofton from Alto, and my Overton teammate Weldon Kennedy.  The guns goes off and I explode out of the blocks.  But before I even get out of the turn I hear huffing and puffing, and out of the corner of my eye I see a mass of track stars fly past me.  You've heard the term "seeing A******s and elbows?"...Well I saw it.  These guys finished in a mass of athletic greatness as they crossed the finish line, while I watched comfortably from about 30-40 feet behind.  

Side note:  Its a bit embarrassing when you are finishing that race and your competitors are already standing with their hands on their hips and fist bumping.  

That was an impressive group of athletes!