The official thread of brilliant CFB posts and Master Debaters

9 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Now now, I did say the main goal was to harass you two this morning, but that means to get some discussion going back and forth. We did have some convo today. 

Summertime with very little sports outside of baseball going on right now. We needed some fun to break up any boredom.

1957CA58-8BC4-4D9F-B7E7-1C146F9F0567.jpeg

• LOL! 1

39 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

You've literally cried to the mods every time you've been made fun of for being in Joaquin. LOL

Irony at its best.

We’re discussing the topic in good fun.....not taking low blow personal shots at you.  There’s a difference

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

I don’t think anyone ever denied that.... Like I mentioned, the only thing talked about was head to head results, which are comparable once scholarships restrictions hit, which is what I consider the modern era of college football. Sure we can look back at wins and losses from before that, but that’s literally like comparing Notre Dame to Army. Texas and A&M simply were not attempting to be equals like they are now. Texas was a sports “regular” college while A&M was a service academy wanna be basically. The priorities of the two and the way they did business were so different, it’s very hard to fathom anything but the results to be lopsided in Texas favor: 

btw I’m not ashamed of that. I am proud of the history of Texas A&M. Their good and the bad. I wouldn’t trade it for a better football record against Texas. And yes I think their record would be much better if they had cared more about beating Texas than staying true to their vision as a university. 

Seems like A&M's current vision as a university is to enroll as many students as possible. I've got friends teaching there that state it's gotten out of hand. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Anyway I'm out. Sorry ifyou fellas admittedly have nothing better to do with your Saturdays. I do. 😜

I do love getting stuff done on a Saturday. Got both of our vehicles washed and cleaned up really well on the inside. Tire shine, love it, and living on the concrete they stay clean longer. 

Growing up on oil top county roads in East Texas my truck would stay clean half as long, but at least I did have oil top!

59B80735-AD31-4855-8F39-4EC0D77F7153.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

Seems like A&M's current vision as a university is to enroll as many students as possible. I've got friends teaching there that state it's gotten out of hand. 

They have grown a ton. On the other hand, the results aren’t declining. That’s what matters to me. You would think the departments would decline with an “easier” acceptance standard and more students, but that’s not the case. Most departments are improving and the university endowment is skyrocketing. On the surface it looks like they are just turning into a diploma mil, but that’s not what’s really happening. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

They have grown a ton. On the other hand, the results aren’t declining. That’s what matters to me. You would think the departments would decline with an “easier” acceptance standard and more students, but that’s not the case. Most departments are improving and the university endowment is skyrocketing. On the surface it looks like they are just turning into a diploma mil, but that’s not what’s really happening. 

Well I have no doubt that A&M is a top quality education. I've just been surprised over the past 3-4 years in some of the students that have been accepted. There's no way they would have been accepted 10-15 years ago. If it works out for them, and A&M continues with a rigorous curriculum - that's awesome for all involved.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:23 PM, Lhornfan said:

Well I have no doubt that A&M is a top quality education. I've just been surprised over the past 3-4 years in some of the students that have been accepted. There's no way they would have been accepted 10-15 years ago. If it works out for them, and A&M continues with a rigorous curriculum - that's awesome for all involved.

It’s funny that you brought this up, and A&M just announced they are going to change the automatic qualifiers starting the fall of 2021. 

• 1 month later...

Post A&M Military School Years:

Heisman Finalists 

UT = 7; A&M = 1

All Americans

UT = 55; A&M = 25

Bowl Games

UT = 47; A&M = 32

Top 5 Finishes

UT = 16; A&M = 1

Weeks Ranked #1 

UT = 42; A&M = 0

National Championships

UT = 4; A&M = 0

Texas leads the series 32-20.

• Stinks 1

12 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Post A&M Military School Years:

Heisman Finalists 

UT = 7; A&M = 1

All Americans

UT = 55; A&M = 25

Bowl Games

UT = 47; A&M = 32

Top 5 Finishes

UT = 16; A&M = 1

Weeks Ranked #1 

UT = 42; A&M = 0

National Championships

UT = 4; A&M = 0

Texas leads the series 32-20.

Growl.... we both know that it’s slanted to Texas when you throw stats like heisman finalist. Why not just say heisman winners? Because they are even and that doesn’t fit the argument lol

You also make sure to include Texas national titles. Why not make this the true comparison and start when scholarship limits started? That’s when it was truly equal footing. And since then it’s 1 national title, and the head to head is much much closer. I’m simply saying for arguments sake let’s just compare modern times. Which is scholarship limits forward. 

Lastly, i 100% agree and admit that no matter the parameters, Texas has had more success in athletics than A&M. I’m not sure any aggie has ever argued different. I think what we argue is that you guys treat A&M like they are Baylor. A&M is a top 25 football program all time. The stats do not deny that. Giving A&M it’s due in no means diminishes what Texas has built. That being said, the argument you’ll always hear from me is past success does not define future success. 10 years ago I would have argued that Texas football trajectory was much higher than A&Ms. today that simply isn’t the case. Both teams are recruiting at near identical levels and both are on par with each other in terms of resources and willingness to invest to win. 

But  I want to see you admit that A&M is the true rival of Texas. Either admit it, or stop posting this stuff and post the results against your “true” rival...

17 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Growl.... we both know that it’s slanted to Texas when you throw stats like heisman finalist. Why not just say heisman winners? Because they are even and that doesn’t fit the argument lol

You also make sure to include Texas national titles. Why not make this the true comparison and start when scholarship limits started? That’s when it was truly equal footing. And since then it’s 1 national title, and the head to head is much much closer. I’m simply saying for arguments sake let’s just compare modern times. Which is scholarship limits forward. 

Lastly, i 100% agree and admit that no matter the parameters, Texas has had more success in athletics than A&M. I’m not sure any aggie has ever argued different. I think what we argue is that you guys treat A&M like they are Baylor. A&M is a top 25 football program all time. The stats do not deny that. Giving A&M it’s due in no means diminishes what Texas has built. That being said, the argument you’ll always hear from me is past success does not define future success. 10 years ago I would have argued that Texas football trajectory was much higher than A&Ms. today that simply isn’t the case. Both teams are recruiting at near identical levels and both are on par with each other in terms of resources and willingness to invest to win. 

But  I want to see you admit that A&M is the true rival of Texas. Either admit it, or stop posting this stuff and post the results against your “true” rival...

A&M and Oklahoma are both huge Texas rivals.

Likewise, I have never thought of A&M as a piddly little ol’ BU or somebody of the like.

• Stinks 1

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

A&M and Oklahoma are both huge Texas rivals.

Likewise, I have never thought of A&M as a piddly little ol’ BU or somebody of the like.

In the way I view rivalries, there can only be one. I believe a rivalry takes a special kind of “hate.” That’s what makes them fun. I’ve lived my entire life in Texas. I’ve known more Texas fans than I can count. 99% of them care more about beating A&M than beating OU. At least they did. Losing to OU ####, but losing to A&M gets Texas coaches fired. Maybe the Texas fans on this board feel differently, but y’all sure love to talk about A&M, but rarely see any mention of OU unless it’s the week of that game. You don’t see OU debates or you posting OU vs Texas threads.... I’m just saying one of these is not like the other...

Its probably just because comparing Texas to A&M makes Texas look good, but comparing Texas to OU makes OU look better. 

27 minutes ago, WETSU said:

In the way I view rivalries, there can only be one. I believe a rivalry takes a special kind of “hate.” That’s what makes them fun. I’ve lived my entire life in Texas. I’ve known more Texas fans than I can count. 99% of them care more about beating A&M than beating OU. At least they did. Losing to OU ####, but losing to A&M gets Texas coaches fired. Maybe the Texas fans on this board feel differently, but y’all sure love to talk about A&M, but rarely see any mention of OU unless it’s the week of that game. You don’t see OU debates or you posting OU vs Texas threads.... I’m just saying one of these is not like the other...

Its probably just because comparing Texas to A&M makes Texas look good, but comparing Texas to OU makes OU look better. 

Haha, OU done thumped our rumps in number of Big 12 championships earned and have blown us out more often than we have them since the inception of the Big 12.

There was a stretch there where it felt like UT would never beat Oklahoma again.

With that said, there’s always been more on the line for both schools when UT and OU play as compared to when UT and A&M played each other. 

• Stinks 1

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! 

We have a winner. 

They don’t do that because they lose in pretty much every category except head-to-head which has basically been even since the end of World War 2.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! 

We have a winner. 

They don’t do that because they lose in pretty much every category except head-to-head which has basically been even since the end of World War 2.

I’ll throw something together for the board of UT v OU soon.

It doesn’t bother me as much as you’d think.  I hate OU, but at least OU has had a ton of success and for them to be UT’s burr under their saddle..I guess what I’m saying is it could be worse.  I mean, we could have troubles beating BYU or Maryland - oh, wait!.. 🥴

Seriously, I’ll put something together and post it. Not ashamed while knowing full well going in it’ll not look the best. Still proud of 🤘🏻!!!!!

8 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! 

We have a winner. 

Along similar lines to the present debate (UT vs. A&M), losing to Texas will put you on the hot seat at OU...  but losing to Okie State will get you fired. 

21 hours ago, WETSU said:

"University of Memphis professor Cody Havard, Ph.D., studies fan behavior. One area of his research is measuring perceptions fans have toward their favorite team's rival

'We polled college fans and asked them who their biggest rival was," Havard said. "Texas has 11 different teams identifying them as a rival, by far the most in the country.'"

I'll be the first to admit that growing up I cared waaayyy more about beatingA&M. I think a large part of that is that we live so close together. Longhorns and Aggies were neighbors, worked together, went to church together, had cookouts together.. whatever the social scenario was. I think I knew one sooner family growing up in Tyler and that was it. So the A&M game meant more. Obviously that's different today because Texas and A&M don't play each other anymore, but I considered beating A&M more satisfying than beating OU, and losing (rarely😉) to A&M much more devastating than losing to OU. 

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

"University of Memphis professor Cody Havard, Ph.D., studies fan behavior. One area of his research is measuring perceptions fans have toward their favorite team's rival

'We polled college fans and asked them who their biggest rival was," Havard said. "Texas has 11 different teams identifying them as a rival, by far the most in the country.'"

I'll be the first to admit that growing up I cared waaayyy more about beatingA&M. I think a large part of that is that we live so close together. Longhorns and Aggies were neighbors, worked together, went to church together, had cookouts together.. whatever the social scenario was. I think I knew one sooner family growing up in Tyler and that was it. So the A&M game meant more. Obviously that's different today because Texas and A&M don't play each other anymore, but I considered beating A&M more satisfying than beating OU, and losing (rarely😉) to A&M much more devastating than losing to OU. 

11 teams...

OU, A&M, Tech??...  who else?!?

29 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

11 teams...

OU, A&M, Tech??...  who else?!?

Probably every Texas team. I’d imagine teams like rice and Houston and Baylor have nobody else to really call their rival. 

Just now, WETSU said:

Probably every Texas team. I’d imagine teams like rice and Houston and Baylor have nobody else to really call their rival. 

Baylor's rival is TCU from everyone that I've talked to... but it's not "fierce" and hate-filled like we traditionally see...  Kind of like the LSU/Arkansas rivalry (supposedly LSU's biggest rival)... Les Miles didn't get fired for the few times he lost and struggled vs Arkansas... he got fired because he couldn't beat Alabama...  

• Mr. P changed the title to official UT-A&M smack thread