The official thread of brilliant CFB posts and Master Debaters

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Baylor's rival is TCU from everyone that I've talked to... but it's not "fierce" and hate-filled like we traditionally see...  Kind of like the LSU/Arkansas rivalry (supposedly LSU's biggest rival)... Les Miles didn't get fired for the few times he lost and struggled vs Arkansas... he got fired because he couldn't beat Alabama...  

Yea but I consider that Bama/LSU rivalry go be more of a big game than a rivalry. 15 years ago that game didn’t even matter. Once saban is gone it will likely fall back to not mattering. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

Yea but I consider that Bama/LSU rivalry go be more of a big game than a rivalry. 15 years ago that game didn’t even matter. Once saban is gone it will likely fall back to not mattering. 

it won't matter anymore... but I doubt arkansas will hold any significance either... with that being said, I am not sure LSU has a true rival either... the only reason LSU/Florida was such a big deal is because those yearly match-ups in the 90s and 2000s were must watch defensive football and usually one of the best games of the year... same for LSU/Auburn... 

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

it won't matter anymore... but I doubt arkansas will hold any significance either... with that being said, I am not sure LSU has a true rival either... the only reason LSU/Florida was such a big deal is because those yearly match-ups in the 90s and 2000s were must watch defensive football and usually one of the best games of the year... same for LSU/Auburn... 

I agree. LSU doesn’t really have a rival. I believe A&M will eventually grow into one once they win a couple more. These two fight tooth and nail in Houston, east Texas and Louisiana for recruits and if the results ever get more even its a natural rivalry. Texas VS Louisiana has always been a thing similar to saints cowboys. 

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

And now they get the disadvantage of facing Florida every year as their “protected rival”.

9 hours ago, Valhalla said:

And now they get the disadvantage of facing Florida every year as their “protected rival”.

I kind of want to throw a liberal protest... this "protected rivalry" really hurts a National Title campaign... especially when you are making an effort to play top teams from other conferences like Texas in non-conference play...  I know, I know... LSU plays a few cupcakes along the way too, but a rotation where we get 2 traditionally weak SEC East teams would be nice every once and a while 

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Teams who consider Texas their rival:

Oklahoma, A&M, TTU, Arkansas, Nebraska, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Kansas State, UH, TCU and Tennessee, because they always claim to be the real UT, goons.

ND considers every power 5 opponent their rival.... Michigan, Michigan st, Indiana, usc, Boston college, Purdue... they all have games with ND that has some kind of trophy/rivalry involved.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I'm trying to think of teams outside of the Big 12 (and A&M) that hate Texas. I know there's a lot, but the only 2 that really come to mind that have some history are Nebraska and Arkansas.. maybe ND? Ohio State or USC?

ND there is definitely a rivalry there from way back when.

Ohio State is a relatively new rivalry, but the two got matched up several times with UT winning the huge OOC game at Ohio Stadium in 2005. OSU winning in Austin when Colt was a redshirt freshman starter and again in the 2008 Fiesta Bowl with UT winning that one.

USC, because, well, y’all know... 🤘🏻

Then USC beating UT in LA in Ehlinger’s freshman season and UT trouncing USC last year in Austin. Kind of kept that head-to-head thing going years after the big game.

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

ND there is definitely a rivalry there from way back when.

Ohio State is a relatively new rivalry, but the two got matched up several times with UT winning the huge OOC game at Ohio Stadium in 2005. OSU winning in Austin when Colt was a redshirt freshman starter and again in the 2008 Fiesta Bowl with UT winning that one.

USC, because, well, y’all know... 🤘🏻

Then USC beating UT in LA in Ehlinger’s freshman season and UT trouncing USC last year in Austin. Kind of kept that head-to-head thing going years after the big game.

None of those even come close to rivalries. A big game with hype and a rivalry is not the same thing. Ohio st, USC, ND are not even close to being considered a rivalry game with Texas imo. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

None of those even come close to rivalries. A big game with hype and a rivalry is not the same thing. Ohio st, USC, ND are not even close to being considered a rivalry game with Texas imo. 

There has to a mutual agreement, right? Obviously OU and A&M would say their rival is Texas, and Texas would say their rivals are OU and A&M.

But the other 9? I think it's more of who hates Texas the most. Because I can't think of any other schools (maybe Arkansas) that Texas would agree is a rival.

7 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Although I believe Colt McCoy stated that he hated Texas Tech more than both OU and A&M

Which is shocking considering he was .500 against A&M and they knocked him out of the game on dirty hit his freshman or sophomore year. 

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

Which is shocking considering he was .500 against A&M and they knocked him out of the game on dirty hit his freshman or sophomore year. 

The Kellen Heard hit (dirty one) wasn't what knocked him out of the game. Michael Bennett did with a clean hit. He was playing hurt already having been injured at KSU like a week prior.

Then again I don't really know how "hurt" you consider someone who has a shoulder stinger.

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

Apparently the game in Lubbock in 2008 (Crabtree catch) the fans were so bad he said it made him hate Tech more than anybody else. 

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The Kellen Heard hit (dirty one) wasn't what knocked him out of the game. Michael Bennett did with a clean hit. He was playing hurt already having been injured at KSU like a week prior.

Then again I don't really know how "hurt" you consider someone who has a shoulder stinger.

I believe it was a pinched nerve against KSU, which happened again against Bama in 2009. I thought it was a concussion against A&M? I honestly can't remember exactly

Nah it was a stinger... Cause I remember he got carted off and everyone was worried about him. Thankfully it was just a stinger, but then fans started jokingly calling him Cart cause he got carted off for a minor-ish injury.

But yeah I get why he did- they don't mess around with head/neck injuries.

47 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Nah it was a stinger... Cause I remember he got carted off and everyone was worried about him. Thankfully it was just a stinger, but then fans started jokingly calling him Cart cause he got carted off for a minor-ish injury.

You’re right. I don’t know how I forgot about his nickname cart lol 

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ahhh that makes sense. Cart McCoy... hahaha that's pretty funny actually

• 1 month later...

Interesting article: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27541845/big-weekend-texas-texas-rivalry-exist

That's the current state of Texas-Texas A&M. The game that brought us Ricky Williams rushing records, Jackie Sherrill's turnaround, the gut-wrenching emotions of a post-JFK assassination matchup with a Texas national title on the line, and that lasting image of Justin Tucker being dogpiled after his 40-yard game-winning field goal, Texas 27, Texas A&M 25 ... all of that, reduced to vicious T-shirt rhetoric.

This article is stupid. 

Oh, look... In the middle of nowhere, they found two families of four who trash talk one another! Oh, and when pressed and pressed, the coaches gave political answers which were ambivalent at best. 

Both teams have bigger fish to fry. Texas needs to worry about beating LSU and Big XII teams. A&M needs to worry about beating Clemson and SEC teams. It's not a "big weekend" for any "rivalry". It's a big weekend for Texas who have a huge matchup at home and it's a big weekend for A&M who play the #1 team in the country on the road. Nothing to do with one another.

• Stinks 2

• Mr. P changed the title to official UT-A&M smack thread