The official thread of brilliant CFB posts and Master Debaters

Man... those guys just leveraged the UT opening for a raise. Strong was hired out of panic in my opinion. I think Herman was a popular hire. He was one of the top, young coaches coming up in college football. The downside is the program is having to go through the growing pains of Herman learning the difference of being the head coach at a smaller university compared to a larger university that will be under the microscope of college football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

With the way coaches seemingly always are using other openings for leverage these days, it’s hard to tell if jimbo put his name in that hat because he wanted the job and didn’t get a good enough offer or because he just wanted to leverage FSU for more. It’s impossible to tell. 

I do think Texas should have hired a more proven guy though the last two hires. I thought strong was a reach from day 1. Herman I thought could be an up and comer, but I think schools with the money Texas has could buy their way into a more proven guy. Just my opinion.

One can use common sense though.  Jimbo pulled that a couple times at Florida State.  It was obvious what his intentions were.  He had made it known he wasn’t happy with the FSU facilities and was fighting with his admin over a payraise.  Same way Paul Maneirie used the Texas opening to get a raise and extension.  Texas didn’t contact the LSU coach.   Nick Saban’s agent contacted the Texas donors and led them to believe he was interested if Mack stepped down.  Within weeks Saban signed an extension with a raise.  It happens all the time.    If fisher had really wanted the Texas job he’d prolly have been hired instead of Strong.  

19 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

One can use common sense though.  Jimbo pulled that a couple times at Florida State.  It was obvious what his intentions were.  He had made it known he wasn’t happy with the FSU facilities and was fighting with his admin over a payraise.  Same way Paul Maneirie used the Texas opening to get a raise and extension.  Texas didn’t contact the LSU coach.   Nick Saban’s agent contacted the Texas donors and led them to believe he was interested if Mack stepped down.  Within weeks Saban signed an extension with a raise.  It happens all the time.    If fisher had really wanted the Texas job he’d prolly have been hired instead of Strong.  

Oh I fully agree Fisher just used Texas for leverage in terms of maybe a pay raise or facilities. What I’m saying is your original statement I quoted seemed to imply that Texas would never give Fisher a contract like A&M did so you believe he just didn’t get a good enough offer to leave Florida st. If your intentions were to say he used Texas for leverage I misunderstood you and my mistake. 

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Oh I fully agree Fisher just used Texas for leverage in terms of maybe a pay raise or facilities. What I’m saying is your original statement I quoted seemed to imply that Texas would never give Fisher a contract like A&M did so you believe he just didn’t get a good enough offer to leave Florida st. If your intentions were to say he used Texas for leverage I misunderstood you and my mistake. 

The standard since Brown has been 5 years.  I don’t even remember what Browns contract was  for in terms of years 

the statement you quoted said it might’ve been the reason Texas and Fisher couldn’t come to an agreement.  Honestly I don’t remember hearing any negotiating took place or was reported to have been.  I prolly should’ve said  it could’ve been the reason.  Poor wording on my part.  I firmly believe Fisher used Texas for a raise 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Jimbo is a premiere coach in college football in my opinion, but I have no problem if his reasoning for not coming to Texas was because he was not getting more than a five year contract. I also have no problem with giving coaches extensions on a yearly basis if they are producing. I can say this with 100% certainty - if I was an Aggie fan, I would not have been happy with Jimbo's contract. Not for money reasons though. These schools have plenty of money to throw at top tier coaches. I don't care for the long term contracts that ALWAYS end up in a buyout if the coach doesn't produce to the school's expectations. And to me there is a difference in a salary and a buyout. One is paying someone to meet job expectations while the other is a payment to get rid of a contract (wasted money).

11 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Jimbo is a premiere coach in college football in my opinion, but I have no problem if his reasoning for not coming to Texas was because he was not getting more than a five year contract. I also have no problem with giving coaches extensions on a yearly basis if they are producing. I can say this with 100% certainty - if I was an Aggie fan, I would not have been happy with Jimbo's contract. Not for money reasons though. These schools have plenty of money to throw at top tier coaches. I don't care for the long term contracts that ALWAYS end up in a buyout if the coach doesn't produce to the school's expectations. And to me there is a difference in a salary and a buyout. One is paying someone to meet job expectations while the other is a payment to get rid of a contract (wasted money).

I don’t like the 10 years, but I don’t hate it either. I think it shows a tremendous amount of confidence in Jimbo. It allows you to show recruits and big time assistants that you’re not on a short leash and this is going to be a long haul operation. Could there have been better deals made? Probably. But I personally would rather have a premiere coach with a contract I didn’t like than a mediocre or risky hire but with a contract that I really like. 

There just really isn’t a precedent for hiring away a national title winning coach. A&Ms really in unexplored waters here so who’s to say that contract is one sided? and they have set the standard for future attempts by big money schools attempting to do the same more than likely. 

26 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I don’t like the 10 years, but I don’t hate it either. I think it shows a tremendous amount of confidence in Jimbo. It allows you to show recruits and big time assistants that you’re not on a short leash and this is going to be a long haul operation. Could there have been better deals made? Probably. But I personally would rather have a premiere coach with a contract I didn’t like than a mediocre or risky hire but with a contract that I really like. 

There just really isn’t a precedent for hiring away a national title winning coach. A&Ms really in unexplored waters here so who’s to say that contract is one sided? and they have set the standard for future attempts by big money schools attempting to do the same more than likely. 

$7.5Million peryear should’ve shown the confidence.  6 years would’ve been long enough for the institution’s business end of the matter.  I honestly wasn’t shocked or surprised at the contract they threw at him.  It’s hilarious how tied to Fisher they are now.  They better hope he gets the trajectory up instead of the same flat line they’ve been on for 20 years

20 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

$7.5Million peryear should’ve shown the confidence.  6 years would’ve been long enough for the institution’s business end of the matter.  I honestly wasn’t shocked or surprised at the contract they threw at him.  It’s hilarious how tied to Fisher they are now.  They better hope he gets the trajectory up instead of the same flat line they’ve been on for 20 years

Well I mean if DB finds it hilarious, then by all means.... 

45 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He's LAUGHING! Remember that! He's totally not crying to mods/admins. He's LAUGHING! 

Yes laughing, at the Aggies.  At you too though.  You seem to have trouble dealing with people for some reason.  90% of your posts in the college forums are derogatory remarks at people or insults.  Triggered is the word you would call that I believe.  Everytime somebody doesn’t pour out love for the Aggies you get upset and hurl insults.  #triggered right?

• Stinks 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Yes laughing, at the Aggies.  At you too though.  You seem to have trouble dealing with people for some reason.  90% of your posts in the college forums are derogatory remarks at people or insults.  Triggered is the word you would call that I believe.  Everytime somebody doesn’t pour out love for the Aggies you get upset and hurl insults.  #triggered right?

Are you for real? You're just messing with us correct. 

5 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

Except A&M opened its doors and graduated its first class before UT. 

Texas is “big brother” because they actually cared about winning football games not winning wars from 1941-1971. The minute A&M opened its university to women and non corps students (restricted access in 1963 but full access in 1971)  the head to head has been much tighter and the only title difference between them is 2005. 

The truth of the matter is you almost cannot compare the schools athletically prior to 1971... literally two different goals.  

• LOL! 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Texas is “big brother” because they actually cared about winning football games not winning wars from 1941-1971. The minute A&M opened its university to women and non corps students (restricted access in 1963 but full access in 1971)  the head to head has been much tighter and the only title difference between them is 2005. 

The truth of the matter is you almost cannot compare the schools athletically prior to 1971... literally two different goals.  

🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Matter of fact the series is 21-20 in favor of Texas since A&M allowed players to play without mandatory Corps participation. So basically, the minute A&M decided to just let a football player be a football player they have gone toe to toe with Texas head to head. I understand those previous games still happened, but anyone who points at the “dominance” Texas has prior to 1971 needs to take into account the handcuffs A&M put on itself for the majority of its existence. 

Different schools with different identities. I wouldn’t trade A&Ms past just for more football wins. Just like I wouldn’t expect die hard Texas fans to trade any of their traditions for more wins. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

• Mr. P changed the title to official UT-A&M smack thread