District 10-2A (D1) Region 3 - 2019

StingEmALTO

Here’s my July thoughts on this district based on DCTF predictions

Carlisle-Thumped everyone in district. Turner was a go daddy at QB. Losing that dynamic of a player is going to bring the offense back down to earth a bit. Other turner will be a very serviceable RB. Defensively, they will be your typical Carlisle defense that is going to play their tails off for 4 quarters and are talented to go with it. Having to travel to Alto makes for a very intriguing matchup for a probable district championship. 

Alto-Offensively have a chance to be quite dangerous if High can go. Bring back a bunch of experience and should take a step forward. Defensively, again a ton of experience returns. LBs could be one of the best LB units in the region. Thanks to their schedule we’ll know by game 7 if they are ready to make a run at the region (Garrison, Corrigan, Carlisle w/ a bye and Big Sandy in there). My gut has me leaning towards them being much more competitive against the top tier of the region this go round. 

Big Sandy-I think they take a step back. The big FB/DL kid is good, but he is not going to have much help around him. Later in the year they went back to the heavy run offense and that will be their chance to stay competitive in games by shortening them. 

Cushing-Had moves not happened, I could’ve seen them knocking off Big Sandy and finishing 3rd. However, life comes at you fast and Cushing is going to have an uphill battle to make it back to back appearances in the playoffs. Don’t have much to add other than that. Saving grace is that those behind them weren’t great either.

Union Grove-Long time head coach retired. Best player graduated. We’ll see. Race for 4th is wide open in this district. 

Hawkins-Only way to go is up? As I’ve said, race for 4th is wide open so maybe they can sneak in there. Look competent outmatched when I saw them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, villagegenius said:

Here’s my July thoughts on this district based on DCTF predictions

Carlisle-Thumped everyone in district. Turner was a go daddy at QB. Losing that dynamic of a player is going to bring the offense back down to earth a bit. Other turner will be a very serviceable RB. Defensively, they will be your typical Carlisle defense that is going to play their tails off for 4 quarters and are talented to go with it. Having to travel to Alto makes for a very intriguing matchup for a probable district championship. 

Alto-Offensively have a chance to be quite dangerous if High can go. Bring back a bunch of experience and should take a step forward. Defensively, again a ton of experience returns. LBs could be one of the best LB units in the region. Thanks to their schedule we’ll know by game 7 if they are ready to make a run at the region (Garrison, Corrigan, Carlisle w/ a bye and Big Sandy in there). My gut has me leaning towards them being much more competitive against the top tier of the region this go round. 

Big Sandy-I think they take a step back. The big FB/DL kid is good, but he is not going to have much help around him. Later in the year they went back to the heavy run offense and that will be their chance to stay competitive in games by shortening them. 

Cushing-Had moves not happened, I could’ve seen them knocking off Big Sandy and finishing 3rd. However, life comes at you fast and Cushing is going to have an uphill battle to make it back to back appearances in the playoffs. Don’t have much to add other than that. Saving grace is that those behind them weren’t great either.

Union Grove-Long time head coach retired. Best player graduated. We’ll see. Race for 4th is wide open in this district. 

Hawkins-Only way to go is up? As I’ve said, race for 4th is wide open so maybe they can sneak in there. Look competent outmatched when I saw them.

Good analysis. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 👍

Alto Football: Hall, West get key endorsements from Texas Football

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com/sports/alto-football-hall-west-get-key-endorsements-from-texas-football/article_34950e9a-a1bf-11e9-8721-9be0f9a32ca6.html

ALTO — Foster Hall and Harmon West of Alto High School have received some noteworthy preseason attention from Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine.

Hall, an offensive lineman, has been named to the publication's Preseason Class 2A All-State team, while West, who plays linebacker, has been tabbed as the District 10-2A-I Preseason Defensive Most Valuable Player. Caden Minter (QB) of Big Sandy has been selected as the Preseason Offensive MVP.

Hall is the anchor on an offensive line responsible for opening up the running lanes for the Yellowjackets' stable of talented running backs.

West, has raked in 220 tackles the past two seasons and is a titan on the defensive side.

According to Texas Football the Jackets are predicted to duke it out with Price Carlisle for first place in the conference, which also includes Big Sandy, Cushing, Hawkins and Union Grove.

Alto finished 8-4 in 2018 and was an area finalist. 

Ricky Meeks is now in his second season at the helm of the Alto ship.

The Mean Sting will open the new season by hosting Palestine Westwood on Aug. 30.

6DAE9A9E-D442-46C2-A8A5-1C0AC1C50865.jpeg

Awesome ALTO FOOTBALL 2018 highlight video put together by TRP: Tray Reagan Productions (shout out to Coach Reagan!) to wet the appetite for 2019!

Hoping to take another step forward in Coach Meeks’ second year. Getting close! MEET THE JACKETS is one month from today!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=alto+football&view=detail&mid=87401D87A0E829E9714987401D87A0E829E97149&FORM=VIRE&PC=APPL

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, KirtFalcon said:

I really think our overall offense at the skilled positions may be better than last year if they move #25 Rodriguez to QB.  The big question for Garrison is did any of the linemen we lost get replaced with another crew of corn fed growing boys .... I hope whoever is calling the offensive plays for Garrison realizes there are two other speedy backs that can take a lot of pressure off of Porter if they spread the ball around more.  I was afraid they were going to wear him down last season.  I look for the passing game to be improved over last season .... the line on both sides of the ball is the question mark for the Dawgs ..... 

We lost three seniors off of the line that will really hurt.  We have some good youngsters, it just remains to be seen if they can grow up in a hurry.

Below is an update from Alto ISD superintendent Kelly West regarding our school district in the months following the tornadoes of April 13th.  We are preparing for the upcoming school year and making the best of a tough situation.  So many life lessons in the process and our kids, staff, and community press on.  Those who visit our football stadium this season will notice immediately the impact of the storms and our "portable high school" which is in the football parking lot.  In the end we know that we will come out of this stronger, but it takes patience.  I am posting this here in case folks are not aware or have forgotten.  Our basketball season will be spent on the road.  The softball and baseball fields have extensive damage so we'll just have to see how soon the repairs can be made.  We really took one on the chin in April!  So glad we have the leadership we do in such a time as this. :thumbsup:
https://www.ktre.com/2019/07/10/webxtra-alto-isd-making-progress-repairs-damage-caused-by-april-storms/?fbclid=IwAR2nYOElREbLECmkKcyh1rwkLdAQN9Fiw8UJMynFF4yQ3pN-REdoRhUwJXI
ALTO ISD

State of the District Update

When the April storms hit Alto ISD, we knew the rebuilding process would be a lengthy one.
We, the school board and myself, appreciate the community’s patience during the last three months. We have been relatively quiet throughout this time to protect the district’s insurance claim.

At this time, we would like to update our community to allow everyone to be on the same page. From the highway it might appear that work is not progressing, but I assure you that we are moving in a forward direction. While that movement is not as quick as we would like for it to be, it will happen. We will have a safe place for our children on August 19th. It may not be the most ideal situation, but we will make the most of these terrible circumstances to the best of our ability.

What has been done:

Clean-up, Sanitization, and State Clearances ($3 million)
• Clean-up of damaged classrooms on three campuses and outlying buildings.
• Water mitigation
• Drying and air quality testing – no mold, mildew, or contaminants in buildings.
• Repair and cleaning of all existing HVAC and duct work to ensure clean air for students and staff.
• Removal of all remaining asbestos from district buildings.
• Testing of all electrical wiring to ensure safety after water damage.

Portable High School Campus 
• Acquisition ($41,500), transport, and stabilization of portable campus.

Technology ($300,000)
• Relocation of district technology hub from damaged location in high school
• Installation of new fiber runs
• Tying in portable campus to network
• Cleaning and restoration of damaged computers, electronics, and projectors

Architect Designs & Engineering (Not invoiced to date)
Required by the state to ensure the safety of all students. 
• Designs of all gas, electric, and water lines for portable campus.
• Designs of ramping system for ADA compliance for portable campus.
• Designs submitted for a temporary elementary gym.
• Designs submitted for all new roofing for district buildings

Waiting on Insurance Approval:

Collection and Submission of Estimates for Repair and Rebuilding to Insurance
• Roofing for all district buildings (estimated $2.1 million)
• Fencing – replacing all damaged areas (over $100,000)
• Lighting – football, softball, baseball (over $200,000)
• Scoreboards – football, softball, baseball, basketball (approximately $75,000)
• Bleachers – football, HS gym, Elementary gym (over $300,000)
• Track (approximately $400,000)
• Marquee (approximately $25,000)
• Band hall, cafeteria, HS gym, library, classrooms in math wing of high school, middle school and elementary school – repair damages, flooring, ceiling, paint, furniture (estimates still in progress)
• Installation of water, gas, electric, and sewer to portable campus (estimates still in progress)
• Renovation of portable buildings - painting, flooring, ramps, furniture (estimates still in progress)
• Temporary elementary gym (bids in process)
• Baseball press box and concession stand (to be addressed in the fall)
• Repair or demolition of existing high school (Status to be determined on what insurance will pay before AISD decides on how best to proceed.)

We continue to wait on insurance approval before beginning work due to the magnitude of our claim. When dealing with tax payer funds, it is not in the district’s best interest to gamble with our savings in hopes that insurance will reimburse the district. It is best practice to wait for insurance approval before tackling projects of this size. The district is facing a minimum of a $10 million dollar claim and insurance is very selective about the process they follow before payment and work can begin. Again, although it may not appear visible externally, the work on this recovery effort has been around the clock since the night of April 13th. As the funding becomes available, more visible progress will begin to be seen. Shortly after the storm, it was stated that the complete process could take two years. This timeline is very accurate.

The Board of Trustees and I appreciate everyone’s patience and trust. We will not rest until AISD is repaired.

Kelly West
Alto ISD Superintendent

7 hours ago, hunter92 said:

We lost three seniors off of the line that will really hurt.  We have some good youngsters, it just remains to be seen if they can grow up in a hurry.

That's a pretty big loss but Garrison always seems to manage to have big kids to take their place.  Who do y'all scrimmage?  First game gonna be a big test?  I don't remember who you have on the schedule without looking.  lol

2 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:
Below is an update from Alto ISD superintendent Kelly West regarding our school district in the months following the tornadoes of April 13th.  We are preparing for the upcoming school year and making the best of a tough situation.  So many life lessons in the process and our kids, staff, and community press on.  Those who visit our football stadium this season will notice immediately the impact of the storms and our "portable high school" which is in the football parking lot.  In the end we know that we will come out of this stronger, but it takes patience.  I am posting this here in case folks are not aware or have forgotten.  Our basketball season will be spent on the road.  The softball and baseball fields have extensive damage so we'll just have to see how soon the repairs can be made.  We really took one on the chin in April!  So glad we have the leadership we do in such a time as this. :thumbsup:
https://www.ktre.com/2019/07/10/webxtra-alto-isd-making-progress-repairs-damage-caused-by-april-storms/?fbclid=IwAR2nYOElREbLECmkKcyh1rwkLdAQN9Fiw8UJMynFF4yQ3pN-REdoRhUwJXI
ALTO ISD

State of the District Update

When the April storms hit Alto ISD, we knew the rebuilding process would be a lengthy one.
We, the school board and myself, appreciate the community’s patience during the last three months. We have been relatively quiet throughout this time to protect the district’s insurance claim.

At this time, we would like to update our community to allow everyone to be on the same page. From the highway it might appear that work is not progressing, but I assure you that we are moving in a forward direction. While that movement is not as quick as we would like for it to be, it will happen. We will have a safe place for our children on August 19th. It may not be the most ideal situation, but we will make the most of these terrible circumstances to the best of our ability.

What has been done:

Clean-up, Sanitization, and State Clearances ($3 million)
• Clean-up of damaged classrooms on three campuses and outlying buildings.
• Water mitigation
• Drying and air quality testing – no mold, mildew, or contaminants in buildings.
• Repair and cleaning of all existing HVAC and duct work to ensure clean air for students and staff.
• Removal of all remaining asbestos from district buildings.
• Testing of all electrical wiring to ensure safety after water damage.

Portable High School Campus 
• Acquisition ($41,500), transport, and stabilization of portable campus.

Technology ($300,000)
• Relocation of district technology hub from damaged location in high school
• Installation of new fiber runs
• Tying in portable campus to network
• Cleaning and restoration of damaged computers, electronics, and projectors

Architect Designs & Engineering (Not invoiced to date)
Required by the state to ensure the safety of all students. 
• Designs of all gas, electric, and water lines for portable campus.
• Designs of ramping system for ADA compliance for portable campus.
• Designs submitted for a temporary elementary gym.
• Designs submitted for all new roofing for district buildings

Waiting on Insurance Approval:

Collection and Submission of Estimates for Repair and Rebuilding to Insurance
• Roofing for all district buildings (estimated $2.1 million)
• Fencing – replacing all damaged areas (over $100,000)
• Lighting – football, softball, baseball (over $200,000)
• Scoreboards – football, softball, baseball, basketball (approximately $75,000)
• Bleachers – football, HS gym, Elementary gym (over $300,000)
• Track (approximately $400,000)
• Marquee (approximately $25,000)
• Band hall, cafeteria, HS gym, library, classrooms in math wing of high school, middle school and elementary school – repair damages, flooring, ceiling, paint, furniture (estimates still in progress)
• Installation of water, gas, electric, and sewer to portable campus (estimates still in progress)
• Renovation of portable buildings - painting, flooring, ramps, furniture (estimates still in progress)
• Temporary elementary gym (bids in process)
• Baseball press box and concession stand (to be addressed in the fall)
• Repair or demolition of existing high school (Status to be determined on what insurance will pay before AISD decides on how best to proceed.)

We continue to wait on insurance approval before beginning work due to the magnitude of our claim. When dealing with tax payer funds, it is not in the district’s best interest to gamble with our savings in hopes that insurance will reimburse the district. It is best practice to wait for insurance approval before tackling projects of this size. The district is facing a minimum of a $10 million dollar claim and insurance is very selective about the process they follow before payment and work can begin. Again, although it may not appear visible externally, the work on this recovery effort has been around the clock since the night of April 13th. As the funding becomes available, more visible progress will begin to be seen. Shortly after the storm, it was stated that the complete process could take two years. This timeline is very accurate.

The Board of Trustees and I appreciate everyone’s patience and trust. We will not rest until AISD is repaired.

Kelly West
Alto ISD Superintendent

Since we come to yalls place this year, where is going to be the best place to park?

As I understand it, the reserved parking will be in the elementary school parking lot. Visitors and general admission will park on the other side of the softball field which will be where the band’s practice field is this year. If that changes or I find out differently, I’ll update.

8 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

As I understand it, the reserved parking will be in the elementary school parking lot. Visitors and general admission will park on the other side of the softball field which will be where the band’s practice field is this year. If that changes or I find out differently, I’ll update.

Wow. I knew that the gym was a total loss, but I didn’t know that the entire high school building had that kind of damage. The fact that y’all are able to have school there at all right now is amazing. Hats off to the AISD administration. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 5:04 AM, trueblue82 said:

Wow. I knew that the gym was a total loss, but I didn’t know that the entire high school building had that kind of damage. The fact that y’all are able to have school there at all right now is amazing. Hats off to the AISD administration. 

The elementary gym was a total loss and has been torn down completely. The high school gym, I think, will be ready for practice and PE classes. No games. The math wing, band hall, and cafeteria (which are on the opposite end of the school from the gym) are also supposed to be ready for school. It’s all the classrooms, offices, restrooms, computer and science labs, etc that make up the bulk of the school in the middle that cannot be used. That’s where the portables come in. There are 11 or 12 which will serve as the temporary campus until everything can be repaired/replaced. The high school parking lot is a construction zone of sorts.

The administration and school board have had their hands full for sure. AND it was our superintendent’s first year as a supt. She has handled it as well as a seasoned veteran, with help/advice from other supts who have experienced similar disasters. We knew she would though, as she was our middle school principal for 10 years and an Alto ISD teacher before that. Hometown lady doing things right! We are blessed. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

That's a pretty big loss but Garrison always seems to manage to have big kids to take their place.  Who do y'all scrimmage?  First game gonna be a big test?  I don't remember who you have on the schedule without looking.  lol

We scrimmage Arp and Groveton.  We play San Augustine early,  I believe in week 2.  We'll find out where we are in a hurry.  LOL

ALTO - Second year for the Texas A, but a little smaller and on both sides of the helmet this year (last year it was on one side and player number on the other). The number this year will be on the back!

From the early 90s until the bi-district play-off game vs. Harleton in West Rusk in 2013 (a 35-20 Alto win), “Jackets” was in script on both sides. The script A was debuted at that game. The Texas shape was added last year in 2018. 

Https://www.texasfootball.com/helmets

@HelmetHS

Texas HS Helmet Project

AB7FA938-8744-4AFB-8ABA-EA029F9F49B2.png

BE17432A-761A-41C2-9363-BF6BBE6C9C90.jpeg

JACKET FANS: The BSN Sports Online Store is officially open!  BSN Sports is partnering with the Alto High School Athletic Department to do some exciting things with The Mean Sting!

Click the link below to order your ALTO GEAR today (infant/
toddler gear, too)!  20-25% of all purchases will go to the Alto Athletic Department. 

Discount User Code - “GrandOpening19” to receive 25% off all orders until August 19th.

40FC0FAE-D85A-4A54-B858-D33F39C7D3FD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This will make some heads spin. 😂

The Tyler Paper “#BEASTTexas Fabulous 15 Preseason Poll”:

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/highschool/introducing-the-beasttexas-fabulous-longview-earns-no-spot-in-a/article_2f166bea-b528-11e9-9182-47d6d4c1e0b3.html

CLASS 3A/2A/TAPPS

1. Atlanta (4) 166
2. Daingerfield (4) 163
3. Gladewater 155
4. Malakoff (4) 105
T5. Tatum 87
T5. Jefferson 87
7. Harmony 85
8. Tenaha 77
9. Diboll 68
10. Troup 63
11. Elysian Fields 60
12. Alto 45
13. Garrison 40
14. Waskom 37
T15. San Augustine 35
T15. Carlisle 35

Others receiving votes: Corrigan-Camden, 30; Mount Vernon, 22; Grapeland, 16; Mineola, 11; Tyler Grace Community, 11; Joaquin, 11; West Rusk, 9; Edgewood, 7; Arp, 5; Bullard Brook Hill, 5; Paul Pewitt, 3; White Oak, 1; Frankston, 1.