District 10-2A (D1) Region 3 - 2019

StingEmALTO

53 minutes ago, BlueBlood99 said:

IMO the spread can be used as a run attack or pass attack. It lessens the physicality of your approach either way. I still believe games are won in the trenches. Teams try to be balanced these days and get away from what they are really good at. Later in the year the weather gets bad and ya better be able to line up and run it. Sure throw it 5-10 times a game to keep a team from stacking the box on ya. But don’t cave in to today’s society and attempt to be cute and throw it 25 times a game. On the 2A level you don’t have the personnel year in and year out to be an effective pass spread team. Sure they may be certain groups but overall it’s hard to replicate it on 2A level.

So have you seen Alto under Meeks? Because the times I’ve watched them they are not what you are describing as “spread”. 

3 hours ago, BlueBlood99 said:

What’s really surprising to me is the drop off on the defensive side of the ball over the past few years. That’s what I remember Alto being absolutely dominant in. I wish you guys would get back to being run oriented. To run the spread you gotta have the correct signal caller. In high school that can be tricky to duplicate every year. I remember Alto defense tearing your freakn head off and being suffocating. From watching you guys compete in track over the past two years I think the group of kids that are juniors and sophomores to really lead you back to top. Like in my previous post..... you guys have been your own worse enemy. IMO it started when ya got the Rusk transfer a few years ago. The in team arguing and agendas began and then problems with discipline of current players only made things worse. Wish you guys the best. Ftball is better when Alto is good. You guys are a measuring stick for other programs to reach. Just be careful and don’t turn into Groveton. They used to be good as well and have fallen off the wagon and their program is a shell of what it used to be. Now go beat the #### out of Timpson and put district 10 on notice

Haha. Well said Blue Blood. They are running the spread with a lineman type player taking the snap and it can’t be done. When running the spread you must snap the ball to the best athlete on your team. Now I hear the defense is stingy but not much depth. 

On 9/1/2019 at 9:17 PM, Star4life said:

Haha. Well said Blue Blood. They are running the spread with a lineman type player taking the snap and it can’t be done. When running the spread you must snap the ball to the best athlete on your team. Now I hear the defense is stingy but not much depth. 

You need to watch film or watch a game, you don’t have a clue....lineman type player taking the snap??? He’s the middle line backer flies all over the field, he may not be the fastest but he’s smart, knows all the plays.hes 6’1 200ish....and some of y’all talking spread, there’s so many variations of it, we have more motions and RPOs not just any athlete can get back there and run...yes I agree u get the ball in the best ath hands...I’ll stack high up there with best of them in 2 a but I’m not putting him at Qb.....and what 2a has depth?? You’ve mentioned this before most 2a have a few guys that are great and if one goes down its a tough season but that’s 2a football, i mean heck we can’t all be the 2a that barely squeaked by from being 3a2

4 hours ago, Cherokee603 said:

You need to watch film or watch a game, you don’t have a clue....lineman type player taking the snap??? He’s the middle line backer flies all over the field, he may not be the fastest but he’s smart, knows all the plays.hes 6’1 200ish....and some of y’all talking spread, there’s so many variations of it, we have more motions and RPOs not just any athlete can get back there and run...yes I agree u get the ball in the best ath hands...I’ll stack high up there with best of them in 2 a but I’m not putting him at Qb.....and what 2a has depth?? You’ve mentioned this before most 2a have a few guys that are great and if one goes down its a tough season but that’s 2a football, i mean heck we can’t all be the 2a that barely squeaked by from being 3a2

Haha don’t have a clue that’s funny!! Listen I haven’t seen Alto this year but watched them once last year and I assume the QB is the kid from last year. I’m not talking about him and I’m sure he is smart. He seemed to run and have good control of the offense when I saw him play last year. But he is not a spread offense QB and I don’t care what variation of the spread you are running. You mentioned middle linebacker, exactly, usually responsible for A gap to A gap ( don’t have to move much). I’m not saying the kid does not do a good job but compared to some of the skill guys Alto has put out in the past few years. He’s not one of and Alto is know for their speed and skill players. 

1 hour ago, Star4life said:

Haha don’t have a clue that’s funny!! Listen I haven’t seen Alto this year but watched them once last year and I assume the QB is the kid from last year. I’m not talking about him and I’m sure he is smart. He seemed to run and have good control of the offense when I saw him play last year. But he is not a spread offense QB and I don’t care what variation of the spread you are running. You mentioned middle linebacker, exactly, usually responsible for A gap to A gap ( don’t have to move much). I’m not saying the kid does not do a good job but compared to some of the skill guys Alto has put out in the past few years. He’s not one of and Alto is know for their speed and skill players. 

Right now he’s the smartest and most reliable player we have to run the offense that Coach Meeks and Coach Hubbard want ran. Do we wish he ran a 4.4 lol, of course, but I guarantee you this he is the most ready for the qb spot right now and is the right choice. He’s a gritty football player and to be honest, I’m gonna miss his attitude on the field when he’s gone. He gets out there sometimes lol, but he does not lack passion. Wish we had 10 more with his passion alone on the field. Offensively, I am not going to knock the offensive scheme we are running because the coaches know what they have and I trust their plan for us. I agree, it’s not the veer or another smash offense we’ve been accustomed to having so much success with in years past, but that’s exactly what that is (the past). One thing that is a constant here is athletes with speed for the most part. They’ll always be here and they will adapt to what our new leader wants done. We are talking about year two right now for Meeks. Wait till he gets a chance to really groom his future players and all they’ve ever known about football is “his way”. He’s building his vision right now from the ground up and we are behind him. In regard to the “lineman type player” comment, lol, I will tell you this, yeah, he’s a qb and a linebacker, but teams should really be thankful that he and one other aren’t actually playing on the line because we could be reeeally scary up front for opposing teams in my personal opinion. I think with the kids we have this year, they are in the right places to give us the best chance to win games in 2019. Looking forward to getting better each week and maybe seeing this car hitting on all cylinders for district and after. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

Right now he’s the smartest and most reliable player we have to run the offense that Coach Meeks and Coach Hubbard want ran. Do we wish he ran a 4.4 lol, of course, but I guarantee you this he is the most ready for the qb spot right now and is the right choice. He’s a gritty football player and to be honest, I’m gonna miss his attitude on the field when he’s gone. He gets out there sometimes lol, but he does not lack passion. Wish we had 10 more with his passion alone on the field. Offensively, I am not going to knock the offensive scheme we are running because the coaches know what they have and I trust their plan for us. I agree, it’s not the veer or another smash offense we’ve been accustomed to having so much success with in years past, but that’s exactly what that is (the past). One thing that is a constant here is athletes with speed for the most part. They’ll always be here and they will adapt to what our new leader wants done. We are talking about year two right now for Meeks. Wait till he gets a chance to really groom his future players and all they’ve ever known about football is “his way”. He’s building his vision right now from the ground up and we are behind him. In regard to the “lineman type player” comment, lol, I will tell you this, yeah, he’s a qb and a linebacker, but teams should really be thankful that he and one other aren’t actually playing on the line because we could be reeeally scary up front for opposing teams in my personal opinion. I think with the kids we have this year, they are in the right places to give us the best chance to win games in 2019. Looking forward to getting better each week and maybe seeing this car hitting on all cylinders for district and after. 

Nice post @SwarmingOnEm  👍

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Star4life said:

That’s my point you’ve seen one game, we run a different def then most he doesn’t go A toA if you did your research before spouting off bout a player at least know what he does....he runs with receivers and covers sideline to sideline....and keep saying spread, I ran the “spread” in high school this ain’t your everyday spread. The old offense alto ran before the new coach is regular ol spread run and gun, ur best player can play QB ain’t much to learn, besides go score, In this offense your QB has to be the smartest if not one of the smartest on the field, you can’t just throw a kid with 4.4 speed back there and expect him to do it all....that’s my point. 

• Like 1

Dave Campbell's Texas Football high school rankings

CLASS 2A DIVISION I

1. Refugio (1-0), 1

2. Shiner (1-0), 3

3. San Saba (1-0), 4

4. Mason (0-1), 2

5. San Augustine (1-0), 5

6. Panhandle (1-0), 6

7. New Deal (1-0), 7

8. Garrison (0-0), 8

9. Tenaha (1-0), 9

10. Hawley (1-0), NR

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/highschool/dave-campbell-s-texas-football-high-school-rankings/article_8813c90c-cdc6-11e9-a479-636f8a46f936.html

• Like 1

High School Football Honor Roll for Week 1

Here is a look at some individuals who delivered big performances during Week 1 of the high school football season in East Texas. Coaches, please send in nominations to [email protected]. Also nominate for Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week.

https://tylerpaper.com/sports/highschool/high-school-football-honor-roll-for-week/article_f2b7508a-cd1c-11e9-a83f-73390258b297.html

Vi’Darious High, Alto:

• High carried 24 times for 218 yards and a touchdown in the Yellowjackets’ 28-20 win over Palestine Westwood.

Cayle Irvin, Harmon West, Alto:

• The Mean Sting of Yellow Jacket defenders shut down Westwood. Irvin had 11 tackles, two TFL, a QB sack and a fumble caused with West also registering 11 tackles, 2 TFL and a caused fumble.
  • Like 1

This from Alto ISD:

"Congratulations to Marlon Warren! Marlon was chosen as the Rock It Wrecker Service East Texas Player of the Week! Marlon scored on a punt return that changed the momentum of the game. He also had a rush TD, a receiving TD, along with an interception late in the 4th quarter that led to a 28-20 victory over Westwood! Congratulations, Marlon!"

Marlon - player of the week!.jpg

• Like 1

High, Skinner, Irvin, West lead Mean Sting in win over Westwood

ALTO — Alto escaped with a 28-20 win over Palestine Westwood on Friday night to open the new season on a positive note.

Alto running back Vi'dareous High carried 24 times and racked up 218 yards and averaged 9.08 yards per carry in the triumph.

Aaron Skinner also topped the 100-yard mark in rushing after carrying 14 times and picking up 115 yards.

High and Skinner each scored one touchdown for Alto.

The top performers on the defensive side were Cayle Irvin (11 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 quarterback sack, 1 fumble caused) and Harmon West (11 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 fumble caused).

Clayton Terry gave a solid effort (3 tackles, 1 fumble recovery, 3 pass break ups), as did Kolt Dement (6 tackles) and Marlon Warren (1 interception).

Alto limited the Panthers to 205 total yards (147 rushing, 58 passing).

The Yellowjackets will hit the road to Timpson (0-1) on Friday.

06CAB097-769C-427A-9F9B-24AE42252BFD.jpeg

• Like 1

#bEASTTexas Fabulous 15 Poll: Gladewater vaults to No. 1 in Class 3A/2A/TAPPS

In the Class 3A/2A/TAPPS portion of the poll, Gladewater received seven first-place votes and 176 points to move into the No. 1 spot after coming in at No. 3 in the preseason edition. The Bears opened the season with a 39-26 win over Spring Hill.

Malakoff was right behind Gladewater with five first-place votes and 174 points. Daingerfield also received a first-place vote and is fourth in the poll behind Jefferson. Atlanta fell from No. 1 to No. 5 after a 47-26 loss to Gilmer.

San Augustine jumped from No. 15 to No. 9 in the small-school rankings. West Rusk and New Diana were newcomers to the poll, while Harmony, Troup and Carlisle dropped out.

Small-school showdowns include No. 1 Gladewater at No. 5 Atlanta and No. 12 Waskom at No. 14 West Rusk.

Voters in the poll were Jack Stallard, Hayden Henry and George Whitley of the Longview News-Journal, Phil Hicks and Brandon Ogden of the Tyler Morning Telegraph, J. Scott Russell of the Panola Watchman, Nathan Hague of the Marshall News Messenger, John Krueger of the Nacogdoches Daily Sentinel, Josh Havard of the Lufkin Daily News, Mitch Lucas of the Kilgore News Herald, freelance writer Joe Hale, Reagan Roy of CBS 19 and Harlen Lobley of AlphaMedia East Texas.

CLASS 3A/2A/TAPPS

Team                    Points     Record    Last week

1. Gladewater (7)    176        1-0        3

2. Malakoff (5)        174        1-0        4

3. Jefferson            166        1-0        6

4. Daingerfield (1)  139        0-1        2

5. Atlanta              121        0-1        1

6. Diboll                99         1-0         9

7. Tenaha             97         1-0         8

8. Elysian Fields    93         1-0        11

9. San Augustine  67         1-0        15

10. Garrison        56         0-0        13

11. Tatum          55          0-1         5

12. Waskom       41         1-0         14

13. Alto             38         1-0         12

14. West Rusk   36         1-0         NR

15. New Diana   31        1-0         NR

Others receiving votes: Sabine 23; Tyler Grace Community 19; Mount Vernon 18; Corrigan-Camden 18; Grapeland 11; Troup 10; Bullard Brook Hill 8; Harmony 8; Joaquin 7, Carlisle 2; Edgewood 1, Hughes Springs 1.

Dropped out: No. 7 Harmony; No. 10 Troup; No. 15 Carlisle.