Best HS football player EVER in East Texas?

Eagleborn

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

If I remember right Earl played linebacker as well in High School.  I would not doubt it if he played linebacker in High School, because I heard he did.  I heard he was one of the best linebackers to come out of East Texas.  Of course I was too young to remember being only 4 his Senior Year of High School, but I heard things about him both on offense and defense.  

He did play linebacker and was all state at that. 

For me Max McGee of course. First to 3,000 in a season(1949), before the sugarland express. Also had 17 int’s that year too. And I’m sure y’all have heard he scored the first TD in Super Bowl history for the Packers. His older brother Coy played at Notre Dame 46-47. 

Jmo, but Earl Campbell is the best RB ever in the NFL.  Therefore, he’d almost certainly be the best in HS.   That said, there’s been so many, I certainly respect others opinions.

Two way player, I can only voice an opinion on someone I’ve seen.  That would be Montana Quirante from Vidor.  He played QB in Vidor’s Slot T, and Middle Linebacker on defense, and also punted.  Only time he came off the field was kickoffs, and not all of them.  He’s the only player in the Beaumont area to win the Willie Ray Smith Award for both offense and defense in the 27 year history of the Award.  On top of his athletic ability, he’s a devout Christian, and was a role model for young kids.

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/article/Quirante-sweeps-Willie-Ray-Smith-Awards-4297741.php

I cannot argue with those who pick Campbell, he's legitimate choice. I do know he was human because Texas High shut down Earl and John Tyler's running game completely. Only a last-minute pass by Campbell allowed the Lions to rally and escape with a win. Billy Sims I believe still holds the record for consecutive games of 100 yards rushing with nearly 40. I remember when his streak was in jeopardy against Liberty-Eylau when he didn't play in the first half and Hooks was four touchdowns behind. Sims played in the second half, kept his streak alive and rallied Hooks to victory. Talk about a man playing with boys he was. It's all conjecture, Peterson was awesome, Overstreet was awesome, and I know a few who say Bobby Mitchell was better than Overstreet at Big Sandy.