Best HS football player EVER in East Texas?

Eagleborn

On 6/21/2019 at 7:14 AM, Nick2011 said:

Adrian Peterson is the best High School football player that I've had the chance to see play in the ETX area

100% agree.

I watched a few games his senior year and he was able to dominate with an atrocious line. Seems like I remember defenders getting to him before he hit the LOS and would usually end up with 5+ yards each carry. That's been a long time ago so my mind could be playing tricks on me.

4 hours ago, poisoned10 said:

100% agree.

I watched a few games his senior year and he was able to dominate with an atrocious line. Seems like I remember defenders getting to him before he hit the LOS and would usually end up with 5+ yards each carry. That's been a long time ago so my mind could be playing tricks on me.

Hallsville played Palestine Petersen's senior year in the playoffs. Hallsville had Roderick Muckleroy then as a junior LB. Muck was his shadow. That was many years ago but I believe that Petersen had about 150 yards for the game with just one long run. Muckleroy did his job. Muckleroy went on to be a multiple year starter at UT and made it to the NFL with Cincy. Unfortunately a torn Achilles in his second year ruined his career.

Hallsville won the game.

13 minutes ago, Nick2011 said:

Hearnsberger was a big factor in slowing down AP as well

Hearnsberger was player on both sides of the ball.  Too bad that physically (height) he was not as big as his heart.  He was athletically gifted and was mentally fit for the game.  But pound for pound was as good as any one else.

Good topic.  Earl Campbell.  Many thought him good enough to go straight into pro ball from JT.  Nobody that I saw at 165  pounds could outplay Chan Aimee though.  ////////// Thought I posted this last week.  //. Saw Hallsville get some control over Peterson in the second half of the game in Rose.  Only time to see him play in person.  He did not have a lot of help.

9 hours ago, HJR7 said:

Definitely one of the best I’ve ever seen Hallsville Kendrick Muckelroy- RB/FS hell of an athlete.

Kendrick was the older of the two Muckleroy boys with Rodrick being the younger one that played against Petersen.

IMO Kendrick was the better athlete of the two despite Rodrick making it to the NFL.  Kendrick was as fast as he needed to be and I swear he could change directions while in mid-air!  Both had freakish talent and are really solid and nice individuals too.  Well raised.

• Like 1

Gilmer vs Gladewater at Lobo in 14’ featured 2 pretty good players who would go on to be drafted in the NFL. Both Mack and Boyd put on a show that night. 2 of the best HS players to come out of ETX. 

I got another homer pick for a dang good HS ball player from Carthage. Deshun Williams was basically unblockable at the 3a level. One of the strongest kids to come thru Carthage.

Its fun remembering some of the great HS ball players from ETX. 

• Stinks 1

I've got 3 "under the radar pics"

Watched Justin Sturns from Rusk Play Van and Jermie Calhoun in Van one year. Calhoun had 360 yds and 4 TDS. Vandals couldn't have caught Sturns in a phone booth. 2 really great athletes on the same field, fun game to watch. 

My personal favorite was Curtis Burns lb/fb from Atlanta.  He was so dominate against Gilmer and Marlin in the playoffs. Great great football player.

On 7/3/2019 at 8:10 AM, Hookemhorns88 said:

Kendrick was the older of the two Muckleroy boys with Rodrick being the younger one that played against Petersen.

IMO Kendrick was the better athlete of the two despite Rodrick making it to the NFL.  Kendrick was as fast as he needed to be and I swear he could change directions while in mid-air!  Both had freakish talent and are really solid and nice individuals too.  Well raised.

Absolutely

7 hours ago, CaliforniaCornDodger said:

Adrian Peterson from Palestine was a great high school athlete. Maybe the best Ive ever seen.

He has 250 yards rushing against Hallsville, but lost the game.

TEAM beat individual

Topic is best player, not best team. 

• Stinks 1

Billy Sims would be my pick.  He had 38 straight 100 yard games for his 3 years as a varsity player.  As a senior he rushed for 381 yards in the Quarter-Finals against Rockwall while also returning a punt 72 yds. for a TD ..... also scored 6 TD's.  Posted 212 rushing yards in State Final against Friendswood in a great losing effort.  If not the best, he would definitely be in top 3 !

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 12Jefferson said:

Billy Sims would be my pick.  He had 38 straight 100 yard games for his 3 years as a varsity player.  As a senior he rushed for 381 yards in the Quarter-Finals against Rockwall while also returning a punt 72 yds. for a TD ..... also scored 6 TD's.  Posted 212 rushing yards in State Final against Friendswood in a great losing effort.  If not the best, he would definitely be in top 3 !

I do believe he played varsity as a freshman, too.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 4:55 PM, trashyhound said:

I've got 3 "under the radar pics"

Watched Justin Sturns from Rusk Play Van and Jermie Calhoun in Van one year. Calhoun had 360 yds and 4 TDS. Vandals couldn't have caught Sturns in a phone booth. 2 really great athletes on the same field, fun game to watch. 

My personal favorite was Curtis Burns lb/fb from Atlanta.  He was so dominate against Gilmer and Marlin in the playoffs. Great great football player.

He was sure fun to watch. Only player I've ever seen punt the ball, force the fumble, and run it in for a touchdown. 

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

He was sure fun to watch. Only player I've ever seen punt the ball, force the fumble, and run it in for a touchdown. 

Lol, I liked him catching Manuel Johnson from behind on the end of the half hook and ladder play Gilmer ran. Still can't believe a bigger school didn't snatch him up. 

On 7/7/2019 at 8:32 PM, 12Jefferson said:

If he went to Texas he would be getting more love as #1.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:43 AM, trashyhound said:

Lol, I liked him catching Manuel Johnson from behind on the end of the half hook and ladder play Gilmer ran. Still can't believe a bigger school didn't snatch him up. 

did Burns end up playing somewhere? i knew a few of the atl guys went juco.

Only a few will remember the name, but Liberty-Eylau's Keldrick Williams may be the best back I've seen come out of Texarkana. Apologies to LaMichael James, Tra Carson and others. Williams had to go to junior college, where he got hurt and never played again. L-E was in a district with Texas High, Sulphur Springs and Mount Pleasant in those days. Williams chewed them up. I bet you L-E's new coach Klint King remembers Williams. I'm not alone here, several area coaches agree with me.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, trashyhound said:

Im not 100% sure but im thinking it had something to do with grades.  Chuck was definitely a gamer. As big as he was he was fast enough to be  on all three relays on Atlanta's state championship track team