Pops of the QB

Tiger1995

43 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Be more of a dad and less of a coach.  Most high school QB’s won’t play at the next level.  Don’t let the game define who your son is.  It’s ok for it to be a part of who he is, but it should not be all he is.

Great advice. I would just add enjoy every second, you won’t believe how fast the time passes. 

• Like 1

Working in HS athletics myself, my advice to you is this:

Be his father.  Protect him from the distractions.  Keep him focused on school work.  Make sure he is a 1 woman man... having more than 1 at a time in HS is drama and a distraction.  Talk to him everyday.  How was school?  Are your grades good.  Review with me a couple of your plays and your reads.  Finally, let him be one of the guys.  He should be a leader, so you will likely be the host of some of the get togethers... make sure they have fun, but stay focused on their role. 

To me, as a father of 5, that is normal dad stuff anyway.

3 hours ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Be more of a dad and less of a coach.  Most high school QB’s won’t play at the next level.  Don’t let the game define who your son is.  It’s ok for it to be a part of who he is, but it should not be all he is.

very wise words!

16 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Working in HS athletics myself, my advice to you is this:

Be his father.  Protect him from the distractions.  Keep him focused on school work.  Make sure he is a 1 woman man... having more than 1 at a time in HS is drama and a distraction.  Talk to him everyday.  How was school?  Are your grades good.  Review with me a couple of your plays and your reads.  Finally, let him be one of the guys.  He should be a leader, so you will likely be the host of some of the get togethers... make sure they have fun, but stay focused on their role. 

To me, as a father of 5, that is normal dad stuff anyway.

As a father of 5 I agree. As far as the women thing I strongly encourage my boys to be good men and not dogs...be a gentleman and respectful and don't let me hear otherwise. I've been around football and coached for while now and what your saying is so true.

• Like 1

I played QB and my 3 boys have as well. Don't compare yourself or any of the siblings. Don't bad mouth their coach. Don't complain of his on field decisions. Discuss them in a question form and discuss strategies because sometimes you may have helpful info. Give pointers but allow them to develop into their own player. Don't try and live vicariously through them. Enjoy the ride cuz it's fun but doesn't last long. Keep them grounded and humbled and teach em they are not above the team. Teach em to lead by example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of the above is true. I think the hardest part is sitting in the stands having to listen to the fans. Everyone is/was a better QB and never made a bad read so take that with a grain of salt. They have never had the game coming at them 90 MPH. My advice is after the game just listen, he will need a sounding board. Don't try to fix it just listen and be dad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2019 at 2:35 PM, BlueBlood99 said:

I played QB and my 3 boys have as well. Don't compare yourself or any of the siblings. Don't bad mouth their coach. Don't complain of his on field decisions. Discuss them in a question form and discuss strategies because sometimes you may have helpful info. Give pointers but allow them to develop into their own player. Don't try and live vicariously through them. Enjoy the ride cuz it's fun but doesn't last long. Keep them grounded and humbled and teach em they are not above the team. Teach em to lead by example.

Love the comments regarding the coach.  Right on point.

• Like 1