150 Years Of College Football SDC Style

Stoney

I feel like Best Player should be, 'Best Player by Position'. There are guys that absolutely dominated in the trenches, but will never get consideration as they don't have the 'stats'. There are guys that shut down the field defensively (like Deion Sanders), but don't have the 'stats'. As it is, I chose Bo because of how unstoppable he was. He didn't have the total yards most of the other backs did, but he also didn't have the carries they did either. He did, however, post a 6.6 ypc avg for his collegiate career. My #2 is Vince Young. 

As much as I wanted to list '05 Texas as my best team, it's hard to argue against '95 Nebraska. They avg'd over 50 ppg. They played 4 Top 10 ranked teams, and the closest any one of them played them was 23 points. '05 Texas would be my #2. 

As much as I hate OU, it's hard to argue against the dynasty they had in the '50's. 47 straight victories, 27 by shutout. I don't have Bama listed here for the same reason I don't have Saban listed as my Best Coach...because I think Bama has benefited from a few misfortunes of others. 

As for Heisman, I feel like that should be the easiest one on this list. No one has ever had the dominant season (at their respective position) Barry Sanders did in 1988. Over 2800 yards rushing, 44 TD's, and avg'd nearly 8 ypc. Oh, and only 13 TEAMS finished with more rushing yards than he did that season.

• Thanks 1

@Lobo97 Bo is hands down the greatest athlete since the 1980s. I would have loved to have seen what he coulda done if he had concentrated solely on baseball or football. I can’t think of too many players in baseball who had his strength and speed. Football, he was just a man among boys.

• Like 1

I wasn't alive for most of that 150 years but I've seen a lot of the games, read about them, and such...

Best Coach - Fielding Yost

Best Player - Red Grange

Best Team - 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Best Rivalry - Army vs Notre Dame

Best Game - 1984 Orange Bowl Nebraska vs Miami

Best Dynasty - Bud Wilkinson's Sooners in the 50s

Most Memorable Play - Tommie Frazier breaking 8 tackles on the way to a 75 yard TD

Most Memorable Heisman Winner - Barry Sanders 

8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I wasn't alive for most of that 150 years but I've seen a lot of the games, read about them, and such...

Best Coach - Fielding Yost

Best Player - Red Grange

Best Team - 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Best Rivalry - Army vs Notre Dame

Best Game - 1984 Orange Bowl Nebraska vs Miami

Best Dynasty - Bud Wilkinson's Sooners in the 50s

Most Memorable Play - Tommie Frazier breaking 8 tackles on the way to a 75 yard TD

Most Memorable Heisman Winner - Barry Sanders 

That 95 Nebraska team was ridiculous 

I’m watching the ‘05 national championship game right now and the elite level of talent on both of those teams is astonishing. 

I think people forget how the media anointed 2005 USC as the greatest college football team of all time ahead of the game.

People on here have selected ‘04 USC as their greatest ever team, but I can only think it’s because they lost to UT in ‘05. The bulk of sports media throughout the country proclaimed ‘05 USC as the greatest ever then they got beat. I don’t know how you pick ‘04 USC better than ‘05 USC, because they truly were at the height of their powers going into the 2005 national championship game against Texas.

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’m watching the ‘05 national championship game right now and the elite level of talent on both of those teams is astonishing. 

I think people forget how the media anointed 2005 USC as the greatest college football team of all time ahead of the game.

People on here have selected ‘04 USC as their greatest ever team, but I can only think it’s because they lost to UT in ‘05. The bulk of sports media throughout the country proclaimed ‘05 USC as the greatest ever then they got beat. I don’t know how you pick ‘04 USC better than ‘05 USC, because they truly were at the height of their powers going into the 2005 national championship game against Texas.

The media are stupid. That's nothing new. Yeah, there was tons of talent on that field in 05. Only games that come close are 87 Miami vs Florida State (also a top game of all time) and MAYBE the 84 Nebraska vs Miami Orange Bowl game. I only put the 84 Orange Bowl above the 05 championship because it had lasting effects on college football and how the game was played.

Who had 04 USC as the best team? They were good and they thumped OU pretty good, but they struggled HARD to beat 6-6 UCLA and even  4-7 Stanford. The 05 USC team struggled quite a bit with several games too. The sports media and their little "greatest team ever" bull was laughable. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The media are stupid. That's nothing new. Yeah, there was tons of talent on that field in 05. Only games that come close are 87 Miami vs Florida State (also a top game of all time) and MAYBE the 84 Nebraska vs Miami Orange Bowl game. I only put the 84 Orange Bowl above the 05 championship because it had lasting effects on college football and how the game was played.

Who had 04 USC as the best team? They were good and they thumped OU pretty good, but they struggled HARD to beat 6-6 UCLA and even  4-7 Stanford. The 05 USC team struggled quite a bit with several games too. The sports media and their little "greatest team ever" bull was laughable. 

Who’s better? Maybe ‘01 Miami, ‘95 Nebraska and obviously ‘05 Texas.

20 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Who’s better? Maybe ‘01 Miami, ‘95 Nebraska and obviously ‘05 Texas.

I would love to see a ‘01 Miami versus ‘95 Nebraska matchup. A team stacked with NFL talent against a team of All Americans and maxed out college talent. Holy cow that woulda been fun.

11 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Most of the declarations you hear from the media about “greatest team ever” are just hype created so that when said team loses, it’s a bigger story. They do it all the time, including this past season with BAMA. A lot of true BAMA fans were talking about some of the same things Saban discussed concerning player attitudes and commitments for the last 2-3 games of the regular season. The talking heads on espn were playing the “greatest team ever?” card before the SEC Championship Game, and they totally ignored the fact that Tua looked totally human in that game. Face it, upsets are good for the game. So they play one team up to be an unstoppable force, saying that they playing out the season and winning the championship is a mere formality. Then they get beaten and the media has its big upset story. The “greatest team ever” label shouldn’t even be mentioned until a team has won the championship. 

8 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Most of the declarations you hear from the media about “greatest team ever” are just hype created so that when said team loses, it’s a bigger story. They do it all the time, including this past season with BAMA. A lot of true BAMA fans were talking about some of the same things Saban discussed concerning player attitudes and commitments for the last 2-3 games of the regular season. The talking heads on espn were playing the “greatest team ever?” card before the SEC Championship Game, and they totally ignored the fact that Tua looked totally human in that game. Face it, upsets are good for the game. So they play one team up to be an unstoppable force, saying that they playing out the season and winning the championship is a mere formality. Then they get beaten and the media has its big upset story. The “greatest team ever” label shouldn’t even be mentioned until a team has won the championship. 

I thought this Bama offense was the best ever until the title game. They showed no weaknesses. Tua was having a ridiculous passing season and has legs to go with it. The running game was still there as well. All in all they just could beat you in so many ways I was completely shocked that Clemson did what they did. Not that they won but that they completely owned an offense that I truly believed did not have enough weaknesses for even a talented defense to slow them down in that fashion. 

29 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I thought this Bama offense was the best ever until the title game. They showed no weaknesses. Tua was having a ridiculous passing season and has legs to go with it. The running game was still there as well. All in all they just could beat you in so many ways I was completely shocked that Clemson did what they did. Not that they won but that they completely owned an offense that I truly believed did not have enough weaknesses for even a talented defense to slow them down in that fashion. 

You weren’t watching as closely as I was. Football games are won in the trenches, and we got sloppy up front after the LSU game. I knew we were in trouble against Clemson seeing how they didn’t get the problems fixed during the break before the game with OU. We had multiple opportunities to put that game away and didn’t because of sloppy O-Line play. 

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

You weren’t watching as closely as I was. Football games are won in the trenches, and we got sloppy up front after the LSU game. I knew we were in trouble against Clemson seeing how they didn’t get the problems fixed during the break before the game with OU. We had multiple opportunities to put that game away and didn’t because of sloppy O-Line play. 

Football games are won in the trenches, but they weren’t just awful to front. Maybe not to Bama standards, but they also were much more explosive with skill weapons and qb play than they have been under saban, so it was a give and take. 

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

Football games are won in the trenches, but they weren’t just awful to front. Maybe not to Bama standards, but they also were much more explosive with skill weapons and qb play than they have been under saban, so it was a give and take. 

Being ok with being “not just awful” is what results in getting blown out by Clemson in the National Championship Game. 

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Being ok with being “not just awful” is what results in getting blown out by Clemson in the National Championship Game. 

By not awful, I mean they were still getting better oline play than 75% of the country... 

I’m not arguing that it was below Bama standards, but it wasn’t bad compared to what the rest of the world has been playing with the last few years lol. Besides the football gods had to give some balance. You can’t have those WRs RBs a first round QB AND top 5 oline play. That’s not how it works lol 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

By not awful, I mean they were still getting better oline play than 75% of the country... 

I’m not arguing that it was below Bama standards, but it wasn’t bad compared to what the rest of the world has been playing with the last few years lol. Besides the football gods had to give some balance. You can’t have those WRs RBs a first round QB AND top 5 oline play. That’s not how it works lol 

You bought into the hype. Clearly, we didn’t live up to the hype, possibly because some of our players spent too much time reading it. Some of them probably believed it too.