Week One: Longview at Lufkin

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) at Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:30 PM

longview.pnglufkin.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (0-0, 0-0) AT LUFKIN PANTHERS (0-0, 0-0)

DATE: Friday, August 30th, 2019
TIME: 7:30 PM
LOCATION: John Outlaw Field at Abe Martin Stadium in Lufkin, Texas
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
LUFKIN BROADCAST: KICKS 105

longview.png LOBOS LEAD SERIES 41-37-4 longview.png

The Lobos have a 10-8-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The two schools are tied at 25-25-2 when the game is a district contest.
The Lobos have a 6-4 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 3-2 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 19-15-3 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Panthers have a 20-18-1 lead when the game is played at Lufkin.
Longview has won the last three meetings with the Panthers.
Longview is 10-14-0 all-time against Lufkin at Abe Martin Stadium, with the Panthers winning the last two meetings there.
The two schools have never played on August 30th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
08.31.2018 - Longview 35, Lufkin 28 - Lobo Stadium
12.09.2017 - Longview 33, Lufkin 32 - Homer Bryce Stadium
09.01.2017 - Longview 35, Lufkin 16 - Lobo Stadium
08.26.2016 - Lufkin 35, Longview 24 - Abe Martin Stadium
11.13.2015 - Longview 31, Lufkin 10 - Trinity Mother France Rose Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Defending State Champions. The phrase every high school football program aspires to be going into a new season. The Longview Lobos, get that honor in 2019. The Lobos finished off the 2018 football season with a staggering come from behind victory over Beaumont West Brook, 35-34, in front of over 48,000 in attendance at the home of the Dallas Cowboys, AT&T Stadium. The victory for Longview ended 81 years of frustration that has seen celebration after celebration come through the city since that December day last year. Now, the focus is reset and a new season of Texas High School Football is upon us. Longview will open as the defending 6A Division II State Champions with a trip to their arch rival Lufkin’s home stadium, that has seen many, many frustration be handed to the Lobos in recent seasons. The Lobos visit Abe Martin Stadium in Lufkin for the 25th time, suffering losses in 10 of their previous 11 visits to the home of the Lufkin Panthers. Longview’s lone win at ole Abe in that span came in 2012, when Longview grabbed a stunning 45-14 victory over Lufkin. Lufkin comes into the 2019 football season after suffering another disappointing end to their football season. The Pack saw their 2018 season end at the hands of the Rangers from Frisco Lone Star, 49-21. The loss was one of just two for Lufkin last season, the only other loss being an opening week, come from behind victory by the Lobos, 35-28. The Lobos come into the 2019 football season having set every single school record imaginable in the 2018 season. Longview has won 16 consecutive games, dating back to their 2-point loss to Waco Midway in the 2017 6A Division II State Semi-Finals. The 16 wins in a row is tied for longest in school history. The 16-0 mark was a school record, among every single passing offensive records there is. Longview’s offense in 2019 will have to overcome losing Kamden Perry, who set every receiving record there is to set at Longview High School. And they’ll get a huge test right out of the gate with state ranked Lufkin, who has suffered three consecutive losses to the Lobos. Longview will be looking for their first four-game winning streak over the Panthers since they recorded five consecutive wins over Lufkin from 1989 to 1993. Since ending the 11-game losing streak to Lufkin in 2007, Longview has recorded a 11-4 over the Pack…including a 9-2 record in the previous 11 meetings. In those 11 meetings, the Lobos have won three playoff contests, two fo them by one point. Longview and Lufkin have met 82 times previously. Up until this previous run by the Lobos, the two schools were neck and neck in the overall series. But Longview’s recent dominance in victories has pushed the Lobos up to holding a four game series lead. Longview’s 41 victories over the Panthers sits 4th all-time in school history in wins over a single opponent, while Lufkin’s 37 victories over Longview sits third in school history in losses to a single opponent. The 82 meetings are the third most meetings in school history. The two programs first met in 1932, a decisive 34-0 Lufkin victory at Panther Stadium. Since that 1932 game, the two teams have not met on a football field just 12 years (1934, 1935, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1950, 1957 and 2005). Overall, the two programs have met 10 times in the post season, 20 times in non-district play and 52 times in district play. The Lufkin Panthers are one of just three teams in Longview’s history that the Lobos do not have a winning record in district contests again (the two teams are tied at 25 wins a piece and 2 ties). Longview also does not have a winning record against Gilmer (3-5-3) and Jefferson (1-1-1). The Lobos will open he 2019 football season as defending champions for the first time since 1938. Longview opened that 1938 season with a 20-6 victory over Dallas Woodrow Wilson. Their winning streak did not ended from the 1937 season (16 games) until three games into the 1938 season, a 13-13 tie against Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson. The Lobos also open the season having won eight consecutive non-district games dating back to their last visit to Abe Martin Stadium in 2016 (a 35-24 Panther victory). It will be a season of high expectations for both programs, one trying to keep their newly earned crown and another trying to reclaim old glory that has alluded them since they themselves won their crown. And while there won’t be any TV cameras showing the game live as there were to start the 2018 football season, Longview and Lufkin will no doubt put on another show for all of East Texas to see. Welcome to the 2019 Texas High School Football Season.

WEEK ONE 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Longview at Lufkin (John Outlaw Memorial Field at Abe Martin Stadium)
Mesquite vs Lake Highlands (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
Mesquite Horn at John Tyler (Trinity Mother Francse Rose Stadium)
North Mesquite at Arlington Sam Houston (Wilemon Stadium)
Rockwall vs Highland Park (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Rockwall Heath vs Keller Timber Creek (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium) {Thursday}
Tyler Lee at Marshall (Maverick Stadium)

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Longview (0-0, 0-0)
2nd. Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)
3rd. Mesquite Horn (0-0, 0-0)
4th. North Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)
5th. Rockwall (0-0, 0-0)
6th. Rockwall Heath (0-0, 0-0)
7th. Tyler Lee (0-0, 0-0)

DISTRICT 12-6A OVERVIEW
Belton travels to Austin Westlake, Copperas Cove hosts UNAL from Mexico, Killeen hosts Round Rock Stony Point, Killeen Ellison travels to A&M Consolidated, Killeen Harker Heights travels to Round Rock, Killeen Shoemaker hosts San Angelo Central, Temple travels to Round Rock Cedar Ridge, Waco Midway travels to Euless Trinity, Waco High travels to Waco University.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 0-0 (0-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (167-36 in 15 seasons) (Playoffs: 40-14)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 729-345-52 (Playoffs: 69-41-1)
Playoff Appearances: 44
Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 6A Division II State Championship
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.30 - at Lufkin
09.06 - vs Marshall
09.12 - at John Tyler
09.20 - West Monroe (In Shreveport)
09.27 - vs Rockwall
10.11 - at Mesquite Horn
10.18 - vs Rockwall Heath
10.25 - at North Mesquite
11.01 - vs Tyler Lee
11.08 - at Mesquite

LUFKIN PANTHERS
Record: 0-0 (0-0)
District: 8-5A Division 1
Coach: Todd Quick (55-28 in 7 seasons) (Playoffs: 6-7)
First Year of Football: 1911
All-Time Record: 693-345-37 (Playoffs: 47-38-0)
Playoff Appearances: 39
Last Playoff Appearance: 2018, 5A Division I Area Round
State Championships (1): 2001 (5A D2)
State Championship Appearances (2): 1943 (1A), 2001 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.30 - vs Longview
09.06 - at Nacogdoches
09.13 - vs Redskins Del Estado
09.27 - vs Willis
10.04 - at Magnolia
10.11 - vs College Station
10.18 - at Tomball
10.25 - vs Magnolia West
11.01 - at Caney Creek
11.08 - vs Waller

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: August 30th
In 2002, Longview and Marshall met in a non-district contest for the first time since 1933. The Lobos dominated early and often as Malcolm Kelly and Joel Armstrong struck for two first quarter touchdowns. Longview didn’t let up and rolled to a 42-14 victory over the Mavs at Lobo Stadium, behind 243 rushing yards. The Lobos overcame a 6 fumble night in the victory, and held firm against Marshall’s vaunted passing attack that threw for 39 tries on the night.
In 2013, Longview met Coppell at Allen Eagle Stadium in the Tom Laundry Classic that saw the Lobos take a 17-12 lead over the Cowboys into the 4th quarter. However, Coppell struck back in the 4th, following a Longview touchdown by Dorian Leonard to increase the lead to 24-12. The Cowboys punched over three touchdowns in the final frame, including their final touchdown with just six seconds left, to grab a 32-24 victory over the Lobos.

lobohowl2.GIF

• Like 2

As we get the 2019 season underway, I want to state how difficult it is to return to the State Title game after getting there the season prior.

No team in East Texas football history has ever reached back to back State Championship games on the top level. 

Two teams in East Texas football have reached it on the 2nd highest level. Longview in 2008 & 2009 and Marshall in 2004 & 2005. All four games were losses.

Three teams have done it in East Texas on the 3rd highest level. Carthage in 2008-2009-2010, Carthage again in 2016 & 2017 and Pleasant Grove in 2017 & 2018 (going for their 3rd this season).

Between the teams that have seen football at the highest level this state has to offer, after making a State Championship game..
1) Longview 1938 missed the playoffs. 1997 missed the playoffs, 2009 State Finalist, 2010 State Semi-Finalist
2) Tyler Lee 2005 missed the playoffs
3) John Tyler 1931 Bi-District Finalist, 1955 Bi-District Finalist, 1973 missed the playoffs, 1995 Area Finalist, 2001 missed the playoffs.
4) Lufkin 1944 State Semi-Finalist, 2002 State Semi-Finalist
5) Marshall 1991 missed the playoffs, 2005 State Finalist, 2006 missed the playoffs 
6) Texas High 2003 State Semi-Finalist

Throwing in Sulphur Springs, 2009 State Quarterfinalist.

So it's extremely difficult. It'll be a great test for this team and this program. Excited to finally get it back underway.

• Thanks 2

About two months to go on this but I will make just the one comment.  The Lobos are stacked again with talent  this year, they could easily repeat again as a back to back DII 6A Champions.  Lufkin had to replace it's entire starting D-Line who were all D1 signees.  Jordan Moore  comes back at QB after starting 4 games as a sophomore.  We replace 4 O-Lineman, so we have some holes to fill up front.  Skilled positions look good on both sides of the ball,  but you win games in the trenches, so I just don't know how we turn out there early in the year.  Just too many unanswered questions in that area going into the season.  Think we will be pretty good by district play, but early on, we are probably going to need to find some chemistry and depth on the lines.  Still think it will be a decent game simply because we are rivals and playing at Abe may slightly help Lufkin. It's certainly better for us than playing at Lobo Stadium.  Hard to think right now how the Panthers can pull out a win, even at Abe, especially with so many new faces starting on both lines.  Forgot to add that Lufkin has a new DC, RB and Special Teams coaches this year.  Quite a shakeup in the offseason. Two months will go by quicker than you think.  Guess we will see what happens. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

We have a lot of holes to fill too.  I was really surprised when Lufkin lost    I thought y’all might win it all.  Best of luck to your Panthers.  

Well, it just didn't work out last year. What's new?  Starting QB hurt going into the game, had to come out, our back up QB was suspended, so we had our 3rd string QB against Lone Star.  Did not help ourselves either with 6 TOs. Total disaster of a day in Waco.  All water under the bridge now,  but again, Lufkin has become good at finding squirrelly ways to lose playoff games in recent years.  All I can do is sit and watch. 

• LOL! 1

Been dealing with my job..paying so much attention to Elite11 and NBA Free Agency, haven't gotten a chance to speak about this.  

There isn't a team that Lufkin plays hard against like Longview. Especially at Abe. The Lobos have a grand total of 1 win at Abe since '97, a random blowout win by Longview in 2012. Longview comes off the bus down a TD or two. Tough place to play and that tells me it may be close.

1 win at Abe since '97, I think win #2 will come in 2019 for Longview. In the end, I trust Longview's D to defend Lufkin more than I trust Lufkin's D to defend Longview's diverse offense. Defending Haynes and Meredith would be a tough out for just about anyone. Two of the best players at their positions in the state and it's just so hard to defend an offense with both a dominant QB and RB especially when you're dealing with the offensive minds of King and OC Vallery.  I mentioned Longview's woes at Abe. Lufkin also has woes vs HK and this group of players in general. HK has never experienced a loss to Lufkin 7th-11th grade. And that goes for any of the 2020 or 2021 Longview players who went to Foster MS or Judson MS in that time frame.

I think Lufkin has a good team especially in the skill positions but the Panthers got a truly good Longview team rolling into Abe, and I think they roll out with a W. 

I'll be there, sadly sitting on Lufkin's side (gf is from Lufkin. Made her sit on LV's side the past two years, so now I owe her lol)

• LOL! 1

7 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Are y’all playing in the battle on the border or whatever it’s called mess again? (WM game) should be a great one regardless..

We’re the week after the Battle on the Border.

WM will be playing there back to back weeks.

They named our game with them a Classic after someone who has passed away but what it’s called has slipped my mind. Will find it later tonight.

• Thanks 1

I really think this will be a good game...LP reminds me of 2010 Longview...gave state away the year before with a few turnovers and key injuries...took the team a while to find its identity and made a crazy run to the state semis when the did....a recipe for a dangerous team.

Key to this game will be the rebuilt Longview o-line versus Lufkin dline...gonna be a good one