Week One: Longview at Lufkin

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) at Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:30 PM

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Other than those few 1-9 years when JT had about 17 people in the stands, I agree. The next year when JT was 8-1 and Longview was 9-0, there were 15,000 people there. It was CRAZY. 

I agree, though. Beating Marshall, JT, Lee, and Lufkin is ALWAYS nice.

That said, the Lobos were chasing ONE thing recently, and that was a state title. That was the ONE thing we didn't have on our resume recently that opposing fans uses against us. We have done extremely well vs JT, Lee, Lufkin, and Marshall (all teams who have won state in the last 30 years, mind you). So yeah, while a win over JT in Week 3 is a great thing, or a win over Lufkin on Fox Sports is REALLY cool, it kinda felt devalued when the ONE thing we were missing was a state championship, you know? 

Exactly.  Beating JT or Lufkin means something.    Same for JT.  

But I will get back on topic.   

Interesting match up this week. I don't care what any Lobo fan says, I just don't believe this Lobo team is as good as the past two.  However, that doesn't mean you guys won't win state.  But I wouldn't be shocked if the games are much closer or if you possibly lose one or two.  You will get everyone best game or at least best effort this yr.  And I think Lufkin may have some payback from last yr close loss.   

However, I am going 24-17 Lobos.  sorry Pack

1 minute ago, JTFAN99 said:

Exactly.  Beating JT or Lufkin means something.    Same for JT.  

But I will get back on topic.   

Interesting match up this week. I don't care what any Lobo fan says, I just don't believe this Lobo team is as good as the past two.  However, that doesn't mean you guys won't win state.  But I wouldn't be shocked if the games are much closer or if you possibly lose one or two.  You will get everyone best game or at least best effort this yr.  And I think Lufkin may have some payback from last yr close loss.   

However, I am going 24-17 Lobos.  sorry Pack

Don’t say sorry....i have no idea what Pack team shows up Friday. Just hoping they play up to their potential. It’s a talented group that’s good enough to beat this lobo team. Just not sure if they will show it in week 1. 

So, this 2019 lobo team goes 16-0 again since they are better than the last two teams? Because looking at the road to state......most of the top teams in 6A Will go D1 again. And the teams you would play in non conference and district, I’m not sure they are better than last year groups. The Lufkin offense may be better and WM is probably better than the other Louisiana team y’all played last season. But if it’s true about what y’all say about the 2019 team, the lobos should go 16-0 this season right? 

20 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

So, this 2019 lobo team goes 16-0 again since they are better than the last two teams?

Nobody is saying that. 

Every single team is different. Different year, different teams. Vandegrift will be a complete monster this season. Westfield will be back, Guyer, Cedar Hill, West Brook, Westlake. Who knows who we'll face along the way. Heck, we could get Waco Midway or Temple in round 1.

But I do think most of us believe this team has the potential to have a great season like you mentioned. They should be better than the 2017 team imo. Even if we aren't as good as 2018, that doesn't mean a thing in terms of this team's potential and the way it could shake out.

Just like I'm sure you believe, despite losing a great defense, that y'all have the potential to be a better team in 2019 than you did in 2018.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

So, this 2019 lobo team goes 16-0 again since they are better than the last two teams? Because looking at the road to state......most of the top teams in 6A Will go D1 again. And the teams you would play in non conference and district, I’m not sure they are better than last year groups. The Lufkin offense may be better and WM is probably better than the other Louisiana team y’all played last season. But if it’s true about what y’all say about the 2019 team, the lobos should go 16-0 this season right? 

Said they were better than 2017, didnt necessarily comment on 2018....although I think defensively they will be better than 2018.

Special teams better in 2018 with Martin at K. No replacing a K like that.

Offense is interesting. 2018 obviously had all of the top end names, broke alot of records...but feel like the 2019 offense has a ton of weapons....and just like Kamden was unleashed in 2018....Kaden Meredith will be unleashed this year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Nobody is saying that. 

Every single team is different. Different year, different teams. Vandegrift will be a complete monster this season. Westfield will be back, Guyer, Cedar Hill, West Brook, Westlake. Who knows who we'll face along the way. Heck, we could get Waco Midway or Temple in round 1.

Vandy/Guyer/Westfield/Westlake/West Brook....maybe Cedar Hill returns to form. Maybe SLC and Rockwall fall to D2. Cy Ranch....Klein Collins. Could get Midway right off the bat.

Definitely isnt the easy bracket that several ETXans have tried to make it be since we won it.

People say we wouldnt have beaten several D1 teams but forget D2 teams like Westlake smoked LT, then got beat by West Brook in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Vandy/Guyer/Westfield/Westlake/West Brook....maybe Cedar Hill returns to form. Maybe SLC and Rockwall fall to D2. Cy Ranch....Klein Collins. Could get Midway right off the bat.

Definitely isnt the easy bracket that several ETXans have tried to make it be since we won it.

People say we wouldnt have beaten several D1 teams but forget D2 teams like Westlake smoked LT, then got beat by West Brook in the playoffs.

I wasn’t that surprised by the Westlake lost. I think they had a key injury on offense? Not sure if it was the Qb or running back. Can’t remember but i know the guys on the 6A forum was talking about it and a lineman too i think. The offense wasn’t scoring as much after they lost that player or key players. And the Qb for Wb was playing great. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I wasn’t that surprised by the Westlake lost. I think they had a key injury on offense? Not sure if it was the Qb or running back. Can’t remember but i know the guys on the 6A forum was talking about it and a lineman too i think. The offense wasn’t scoring as much after they lost that player or key players. And the Qb for Wb was playing great. 

They lost about 5. It was some serious bad luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Yea, that was crazy. And they had a strong team last season too. I remember them beating LT like wolf said. 

And Cy Ranch beat Westlake too. But then loss to Westfield.

4 minutes ago, ANTI said:

And Cy Ranch beat Westlake too. But then loss to Westfield.

I thought the title was between y’all and Westfield honestly last season and when they lost their Qb.....it was definitely the lobos to lose. If they don’t have a good Qb this season, I’m still picking Lv to win it over them.

25 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Said they were better than 2017, didnt necessarily comment on 2018....although I think defensively they will be better than 2018.

Special teams better in 2018 with Martin at K. No replacing a K like that.

Offense is interesting. 2018 obviously had all of the top end names, broke alot of records...but feel like the 2019 offense has a ton of weapons....and just like Kamden was unleashed in 2018....Kaden Meredith will be unleashed this year.

Speaking of  "unleashing" a player...I fully believe that should be (#12) Jayden "JD" Williams.

Nothing against Meredith BUT  Williams, as well as being HK's backup at QB is the proverbial "Jack of All Trades" !

Whether he's at TB, WB, WR OR even at QB...getting him the ball no fewer than 8-10 times per game is absolutely necessary !

JD Williams should be the "replacement" for the missing production of a player from the 2018 team like Kamden Perry. Of course, that's quite a tall order but IF the coaching staff gives him the ball then we'll see him produce !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

Speaking of  "unleashing" a player...I fully believe that should be (#12) Jayden "JD" Williams.

Nothing against Meredith BUT  Williams, as well as being HK's backup at QB is the proverbial "Jack of All Trades" !

Whether he's at TB, WB, WR OR even at QB...getting him the ball no fewer than 8-10 times per game is absolutely necessary !

JD Williams should be the "replacement" for the missing production of a player from the 2018 team like Kamden Perry. Of course, that's quite a tall order but IF the coaching staff gives him the ball then we'll see him produce !

Several names come to mind when I think of him....

Dexter Daniels

Mark Johnson

Carter kid from 2017

Aaron Johnson

Montorio Harris

this kid is a stud of a playmaker and could be the replacement for the game changer we had in Perry....if he is used effectively this team could be scary

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

I thought the title was between y’all and Westfield honestly last season and when they lost their Qb.....it was definitely the lobos to lose. If they don’t have a good Qb this season, I’m still picking Lv to win it over them.

Believe the QB we faced last year returns. I’m convinced they’re going D1 though. Davis lost so much, and I think they fall out to DeKaney this season, but we’ll see.

Id imagine Cy Ranch will be looking for revenge this year over whomever they get in round 2. Was pretty shocked they lost that fast.

16 minutes ago, ANTI said:

JD Williams to me actually compares alot to a forgotten beast from just a few years back.....Braylynn Anthony.

Just goes back to my comment about the many weapons on this offense.

Man, that dude was something special. 

20 minutes ago, ANTI said:

JD Williams to me actually compares alot to a forgotten beast from just a few years back.....Braylynn Anthony.

Just goes back to my comment about the many weapons on this offense.

Anthony was the "Jet Sweep" master !

You're right about the plethora of weapons...too ! There will be plenty of touches to go around for sure.

It will be interesting to see IF the 2019 Offensive Edition can average anywhere near the production of last years total ?

It's going to come down to the OL "gelling" because the cast of potential producers will be there !

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

They lost their QB so late in that game... It was pretty well over anyway. They didn't have a good offense (wanting to say they won a couple games by scores of like 10-6), but they had a stellar defense. Like in 2017 when you guys played them... They have strong and super athletic defense. 

That game had me more nervous than any other than West Brook just because of the wind and how it neutralized one of our strengths (Haynes passing ability). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

They lost their QB so late in that game... It was pretty well over anyway. They didn't have a good offense (wanting to say they won a couple games by scores of like 10-6), but they had a stellar defense. Like in 2017 when you guys played them... They have strong and super athletic defense. 

That game had me more nervous than any other than West Brook just because of the wind and how it neutralized one of our strengths (Haynes passing ability). 

That was their 2nd string QB we faced. 

Their started got injured against North Shore I believe? He was committed to SMU I believe as well. 

It was definitely a drop off, though I don’t know what QB would’ve done well in those conditions last season. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I’m talking about their starting Qb. They lost him early in the season before they played Lv if i remember correctly. Maybe we’re talking about the same guy? It’s the Qb we played against. I didn’t know they lost the other guy too. 

Just now, LoboFan07 said:

That was their 2nd string QB we faced. 

Their started got injured against North Shore I believe? He was committed to SMU I believe as well. 

It was definitely a drop off, though I don’t know what QB would’ve done well in those conditions last season. 

Yea, that’s him. He got hurt against NS. 

Just now, Pack007 said:

I’m talking about their starting Qb. They lost him early in the season before they played Lv if i remember correctly. Maybe we’re talking about the same guy? It’s the Qb we played against. I didn’t know they lost the other guy too. 

The guy we faced (the back up) got knocked out in the last half of the 4th Quarter if I remember correctly. They had finally put together a drive, then he got popped and they ended up turning it over on 4th down inside the 10.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kingwolf said:

You got here just in time....

Guys I have chewed on the scrimmage all weekend...there are a couple of things I noticed that I have no doubt King will get fixed or somewhat improved by Friday...

CB2....we were getting burned their several times..when the TH QB had time, he had an open receiver...I also noticed that the guys underneath/over the middle were open a lot...but TH receivers couldn’t catch a cold...Gotta hope our front 7 can keep pressure on Lufkins Qb like they did TH....

Oline...to be honest this had me worried a little...I have not seen Haynes scramble that much or throw early like that in the last 2 years...when TH changed up the blitz and stunts we could not block worth a ####...also thought the run blocking developed a little slower than normal so our RBs had to make cuts earlier....not a complete disaster as they definitely had their positive moments but they have to get better quick...a Lufkin D-line that is athletic and has a good scheme could dominate that line early on....

WRs...some of the best hands I have seen come through the program...not a lot of drops when the ball was where it needed to be....don’t know if those miscues were due to a rushed Haynes or WRs who don’t have their routes/timing down but you could see it more than normal...

Front 7...probably may be the top 1-3 front 7s we have had in Kings time if they continue to develop...they are quick, disciplined, and strong...going to give any team fits...if Lufkin doesn’t have a running game they better find one or their QB is going to get killed...

QBs....HK is gonna HK...only thing they need to prepare for is quick release/short routes and Blitz audibles if the oline doesn’t improve....the 2nd string QB is a stud...

Lufkin game...this will be interesting...no way I keep Longview an 11 pt favorite at this point...I think Haynes gets us a plus 3....I think Meredith and Williams will probably be the difference in this game if used correctly...Longview is going to have to figure out the revamped Lufkin D early...don’t think we can afford to fall behind too big and have to depend on the oline to protect HK in a situation to lead a big comeback.....I think we win though...can’t have that QB and not...

Longview 31

Lufkin 21

just my my two cents....

Great breakdown. I didn't get a chance to watch Lufkin scrimmage. So I can't give you a break down of what I saw. I went to go watch my son at Temple vs College Station but from what I heard we had trouble blocking Huntsville up front. I believe they have 2 D1 kids from what Big Nasty said. But we looked bad last year vs Huntsville and then nearly turned around and beat you guys. Gut feeling is we're clearly the dogs and I think LV is a 7 to 10 favorite in my eyes but it's at Abe and just maybe we can have some magic Friday night. I think we will have a game up for the taking in the 4th quarter. Lufkin and Longview no other way to kick it off.  

2 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

The guy we faced (the back up) got knocked out in the last half of the 4th Quarter if I remember correctly. They had finally put together a drive, then he got popped and they ended up turning it over on 4th down inside the 10.

Gotcha. I figured it was the second string guy.