Week One: Longview at Lufkin

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) at Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2019 at 10:30 PM

We all agree that most Longview folks feel they are down 14 points at Abe Martin when they get off the bus.  That being said and the fact the Lobos are bringing back a championship nucleus into 2019, maybe should even that up a bit. However, the Panthers replace their entire defensive line and 4 of 5 Offensive lineman, so although Lufkin has some decent  experience skilled talent coming back this year, the Lobos have got to be at least 21 point favorites going into this first game of 2019.  You Longview folks know it and so do most of the Panther fans.   We know you guys have plenty coming into this game.  Not sure how you even match Haynes King right now?  He is rated a 5 star, A&M bound,  top rated QB.  He reminds me a lot of John David Booty,  maybe even better.    Certainly I want Lufkin to win, just can't see the pieces to put together to make it happen this time around. Maybe our only saving grace is we are not playing in Longview again.  That would be awful.   Great test and experience for our young guys starting their first games, a baptism by fire.

• Thanks 3

^^^ Good points all around, also have to factor first game nerves. Gonna be a lotta guys flying around amped-up, blowing assignments, and trying to do too much. I'm expecting a few bonehead penalties, blown coverages, and missed opportunities.

It's gonna come down to which team keeps their composure, executes, and takes what the other team gives. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

We all agree that most Longview folks feel they are down 14 points at Abe Martin when they get off the bus.  That being said and the fact the Lobos are bringing back a championship nucleus into 2019, maybe should even that up a bit. However, the Panthers replace their entire defensive line and 4 of 5 Offensive lineman, so although Lufkin has some decent  experience skilled talent coming back this year, the Lobos have got to be at least 21 point favorites going into this first game of 2019.  You Longview folks know it and so do most of the Panther fans.   We know you guys have plenty coming into this game.  Not sure how you even match Haynes King right now?  He is rated a 5 star, A&M bound,  top rated QB.  He reminds me a lot of John David Booty,  maybe even better.    Certainly I want Lufkin to win, just can't see the pieces to put together to make it happen this time around. Maybe our only saving grace is we are not playing in Longview again.  That would be awful.   Great test and experience for our young guys starting their first games, a baptism by fire.

Great post PA. As i was saying, lobos by 9000! 😂

But regardless, this will be a good test for our new guys on the lines. Lv returns a good amount of players on the front seven and they always have a great offensive line from King. I don’t think anyone that we’ll play against will be on the same level as LV (other than of course those suburban Dallas area boys from schools that i won’t name and talent/speed wise in certain areas maybe JT). Definitely won’t see a Qb like that until late in the playoffs, if we even make it that far. Good competition for this new Pack team. Just hate both teams aren’t coming in with rings and a trophy from last year. It was definitely set up for that after our game last year.

I really just hope this game makes us better from week to week, we can stay focus and healthy unlike last season. We’ll see. Safe travels to you crazies from the north! Lp!!

14 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Lord 

And we appreciate y'all holding out your star WR to even give us a slightly remote chance just to compete in the fabled ol' Abe Martin...

We got nuttin...

2 hours ago, gtee2 said:

And we appreciate y'all holding out your star WR to even give us a slightly remote chance just to compete in the fabled ol' Abe Martin...

We got nuttin...

Smdh......y’all making excuses already. If y’all lose to little ol 5A lufkin that haven’t won a title in 18 years and we’ll have about ten starters out for this one.........honestly? I would feel bad if i was a lobo fan. That’s sad.... 😂

And then you would have to see JT fans posting about it all week. Lawddd 🤣🤣

29 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Smdh......y’all making excuses already. If y’all lose to little ol 5A lufkin that haven’t won a title in 18 years and we’ll have about ten starters out for this one.........honestly? I would feel bad if i was a lobo fan. That’s sad.... 😂

This might get a few off the Lobo faithful riled up but in some circles people are saying win it again to really be considered top dawg in ET like few other schools around here did...🤔😐😕

Honestly do not have much to say about this year's game.

After the Lobo big hardware accomplishments in 2018 and Lufkin collapsing in the 2nd round after high expectations, knowing what we must replace this year. It makes it tough. Plus we lost our DC to Tatum, replaced him from within the coaching staff with Lance Gamble, Special Teams/ LBs in 2018.

Gunner Quick from Groveton,  is the new RB coach and Coach Quick's son and have former LP JV coach Ryan Soderquist moving to special teams coach.

So, it may be a little overwhelming for some in this first game, with all the new line players starting and new coaches operating together for the first time in a live game,  against no less,  the defending 6A DII champs. You can't experience that in practice.  We must admit that the Longview coaching staff has done a much better job of getting the Lobos further down the playoff road than our Lufkin coaching staff.  Quick has had a tough time duplicating the same playoff runs as Outlaw did between 1998-2005. Coach needs to make some positive runs in the playoffs very soon, because the  Panther fans are becoming restless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pack007 said:

Come on mane what we do? 😂😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PackAttack said:

Honestly do not have much to say about this year's game.

After the Lobo big hardware accomplishments in 2018 and Lufkin collapsing in the 2nd round after high expectations, knowing what we must replace this year. It makes it tough. Plus we lost our DC to Tatum, replaced him from within the coaching staff with Lance Gamble, Special Teams/ LBs in 2018.

Gunner Quick from Groveton,  is the new RB coach and Coach Quick's son and have former LP JV coach Ryan Soderquist moving to special teams coach.

So, it may be a little overwhelming for some in this first game, with all the new line players starting and new coaches operating together for the first time in a live game,  against no less,  the defending 6A DII champs. You can't experience that in practice.  We must admit that the Longview coaching staff has done a much better job of getting the Lobos further down the playoff road than our Lufkin coaching staff.  Quick has had a tough time duplicating the same playoff runs as Outlaw did between 1998-2005. Coach needs to make some positive runs in the playoffs very soon, because the  Panther fans are becoming restless. 

Restless?? Understatement of year. Lol

• LOL! 1

I want Lufkin to be hell-bent for leather in this game. I want their linebackers blitzing Haynes and corners trying to rough up our wideouts. On offense I want them taking deep shots early and often. I want Longview to get down by 21+ points and have to climb back in the second half. I want gut-checks early and often. 

Lufkin did us an absolutely HUGE solid last year with that Week 1 scare at home on Fox Sports. We got to see what out boys were made of right outta the gate. In the long run it did us good.