Allen visitor

MuscoyJack

My step-daughter has moved to Allen, Texas and I'm visiting the Lone Star State for the first time (July 18-22), from Southern California. Staying a mile or so from Allen's $62 million football cathedral. Doesn't look like the Allen Eagles are doing much in July, but what restaurants, music venues/bars and sites can you suggest for someone who likes barbecue, outlaw country and history. Am eyeing the Chris Knight concert in McKinney on July 20 ... any more lively venues in that part of Texas my girlfriend might enjoy or other destinations I should put on the list?  

1 hour ago, MuscoyJack said:

My step-daughter has moved to Allen, Texas and I'm visiting the Lone Star State for the first time (July 18-22), from Southern California. Staying a mile or so from Allen's $62 million football cathedral. Doesn't look like the Allen Eagles are doing much in July, but what restaurants, music venues/bars and sites can you suggest for someone who likes barbecue, outlaw country and history. Am eyeing the Chris Knight concert in McKinney on July 20 ... any more lively venues in that part of Texas my girlfriend might enjoy or other destinations I should put on the list?  

Honestly, while some of us live in DFW, most of us are East Texas and Central Texas (Waco area).  There are DFW forums in other places, but the most active are usually found in the Dallas Morning News I believe.

3 hours ago, MuscoyJack said:

Lockhart BBQ in Plano is solid. For a cool European style food hall, go to Legacy West close to Plano/Frisco. Lava Cantina in The Colony and Rock and Brews are both cool music venues. If you go to downtown Dallas, Pecan Lodge is a must for BBQ. There are also cool bars and breweries in the Deep Ellum neighborhood. I hope this helps.

18 minutes ago, randomuser said:

Best BBQ up here is 407 BBQ in Argyle. Check for concerts at Billy Bob’s in the Stockyards. I saw the Brothers Osborne there not too long ago. They have good singers come through. You can thank me later on the 407 BBQ.

I went to 407 2 years ago and their brisket was so dry. Maybe they have improved but there are better places in my opinion.

5 hours ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

I went to 407 2 years ago and their brisket was so dry. Maybe they have improved but there are better places in my opinion.

That must have been a bad day🤷‍♂️, I love his BBQ. Or maybe I don’t know BBQ but I think I do. My 2nd suggestion is Heim’s and 3rd choice is Panther City. I’m a Ft. Worth type person, not a very frequent visitor to Dallas county so I’m sure I’m biased. Never heard anyone say anything bad about 407 though. 407 has a restaurant now, did you eat out of his food truck?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, randomuser said:

That must have been a bad day🤷‍♂️, I love his BBQ. Or maybe I don’t know BBQ but I think I do. My 2nd suggestion is Heim’s and 3rd choice is Panther City. I’m a Ft. Worth type person, not a very frequent visitor to Dallas county so I’m sure I’m biased. Never heard anyone say anything bad about 407 though. 407 has a restaurant now, did you eat out of his food truck?

Never ate from his food truck. I have heard great things about Heim and Panther City. I will give 407 another try this fall during football season.

20 hours ago, randomuser said:

Speaking of, Spring Creek BBQ is everywhere.  It’s pretty good.  Also, if she likes country eating, find a Babe’s.  Best damned smoked chicken I’ve ever paid for

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, MuscoyJack said:

Love and War in Plan  has good food and live Outlaw country music.  

https://www.loveandwarintexas.com/music/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marvda1 said:

If you think Spring Creek is good bbq then you must not be from Texas.

I guess Dicky's and Shady Oaks is good bbq.

Spring creek isn’t that bad...  I like the sit down atmosphere of it

On 7/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, MuscoyJack said:

I thought everything was in Frisco.