District 11AA D1 Football

trueblue82

Ok gentlemen, (and you too Kirt), we may as well go ahead and discuss the upcoming season. For the record, here are the DCTF picks for the district: 

1. Garrison
2. Tenaha
3. Joaquin
4. Timpson
5. Linden-Kildare
6. Beckville
7. Harleton

Tenaha, Beckville, and Harleton are all under new head coaches. Joaquin brings back one of the overall best senior classes we’ve had in a long time. I think our biggest concern is probably depth. Our first 11 are as good as they get, but there’s a pretty steep drop off when we have to go to our bench. Additionally, we don’t have any size to speak of. Junior lineman Blake Cummings (6’4”, 260#) is as good as we’ve seen, but the rest of our linemen are small. Don’t get me wrong, guys like Seniors Jesus’ Bravo (5’10”, 160#) and Dre Walters (5’10” 175#) are athletic and strong as a bull and tailor made for the slot-t. They will definitely have their work cut out for them when Garrison visits Ram Stadium in week 1 of district play. Senior Connor Bragg will move to QB, meaning one of the best athletes in East Texas (2 time state long jump champ, 3 time sprint relay state qualifier) will have the football in his hands on every snap. On defense, senior DB Boogie Lane (politics kept him from being defensive District MVP last year) and LB Logan Harper will continue to lead the way. I see another great season for the Rams. A playoff run is dependent on keeping key players healthy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Such fail.  How you leave out Ian Shahan in your synopsis?  

Ian is one of several kids that I included in the ones we can’t afford to lose to injury, along with Connor, Boogie, Logan, Bravo, Gunnar Nelson, and Blake. But don’t worry about my Rams. You know I’m not gonna give out all the secrets. When can we expect an in-depth analysis on your Tigers? 

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Ok gentlemen, (and you too Kirt), we may as well go ahead and discuss the upcoming season. For the record, here are the DCTF picks for the district: 

1. Garrison
2. Tenaha
3. Joaquin
4. Timpson
5. Linden-Kildare
6. Beckville
7. Harleton

Did you break down and buy a DCTF magazine?! 🤔😉🤣

18 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Ian is one of several kids that I included in the ones we can’t afford to lose to injury, along with Connor, Boogie, Logan, Bravo, Gunnar Nelson, and Blake. But don’t worry about my Rams. You know I’m not gonna give out all the secrets. When can we expect an in-depth analysis on your Tigers? 

Yall have a new kid that will make an impact on defense!  

I don’t know if losing the big boys will hurt more on offense or defense for Garrison. They could clog the box with those 4 hogs and make everything bounce to their athletes. When teams would play with 3 and 4 wrs they could afford to align to stop the lads knowing that the run game wasn’t a huge threat. Will be interesting to see how the defense responds without that luxury and possibly having to commit more to the box against those sets. I still think they’ll be plenty good. 

Tenaha handled the move up a lot better than many folks thought they would. Can they keep it up? 

Joaquin seems poised to make a run. Seems like these seniors have been playing for 5-6 years on varsity. 

Timpson did not look very good offensively without their stud RB Osby. Can they replace him? Do return some nice pieces, especially on the defensive side of the ball. That LB was one of the better I saw last year. 

No clue what LK has coming to replace what they graduated. The RB is good but will there be any help around him? 

Beckville I feel like was Senior laden last year. (Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). And being under a new coach just feels like they are going to be in rebuild mode. Don’t see them being nearly as competitive as they were last year.

Harleton struggled. Dont see that changing this next go round either. They’ll be looking for a realignment favor in Feb of 2020. 

9 hours ago, villagegenius said:

I don’t know if losing the big boys will hurt more on offense or defense for Garrison. They could clog the box with those 4 hogs and make everything bounce to their athletes. When teams would play with 3 and 4 wrs they could afford to align to stop the lads knowing that the run game wasn’t a huge threat. Will be interesting to see how the defense responds without that luxury and possibly having to commit more to the box against those sets. I still think they’ll be plenty good. 

Tenaha handled the move up a lot better than many folks thought they would. Can they keep it up? 

Joaquin seems poised to make a run. Seems like these seniors have been playing for 5-6 years on varsity. 

Timpson did not look very good offensively without their stud RB Osby. Can they replace him? Do return some nice pieces, especially on the defensive side of the ball. That LB was one of the better I saw last year. 

No clue what LK has coming to replace what they graduated. The RB is good but will there be any help around him? 

Beckville I feel like was Senior laden last year. (Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). And being under a new coach just feels like they are going to be in rebuild mode. Don’t see them being nearly as competitive as they were last year.

Harleton struggled. Dont see that changing this next go round either. They’ll be looking for a realignment favor in Feb of 2020. 

From what i hear, Harleton has a new offense, defense, and discipline that was lacking. Will be better, whether it turns into wins we have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, Destry said:

From what i hear, Harleton has a new offense, defense, and discipline that was lacking. Will be better, whether it turns into wins we have to wait and see.

What kind of offense are they going to run? 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

If it’s remotely competitive, we’re in trouble in our district. But, Deweyville could be a playoff team in their district. You never know! 

Some of them boys have been lifting during the summer and the before and after pics are quite impressive, whether this translates to the field or not is yet to be seen.

3 hours ago, Purpleforever said:

Some of them boys have been lifting during the summer and the before and after pics are quite impressive, whether this translates to the field or not is yet to be seen.

Are you speaking about Joaquin or Deweyville?

45 minutes ago, Purpleforever said:

Deweyville

That’s good. They don’t seem to have much natural athleticism, but a good coach can take kids with some want-to and build a football team out of them. Getting in the weight room and getting in shape is the first step in using that want-to.