Fizz Ranks 4A Dynasties

HearEmaGrowlin

So I was on Twitter this morning and saw a former Carthage Bulldog retweet that some group named Fizz Rankings has ranked the Bulldogs as the second best 4A-D1 program from 2014 - 2018; the most recent five year stretch.

Now, before we get started here, I really have nothing but respect for the other program discussed in this post!

The only team remaining that’d qualify to be in this discussion that’s not been ranked as of yet is Argyle.

So, Argyle will come out as their #1 4A-D1 Dynasty for the past five years. 

I decided to tell Fizz in my opinion their ranking any 4A program over Carthage as the #1 dynasty anytime from 2008 to today is the wrong decision. Fizz let it be known the reason Carthage is #2 is due to their 2014 season ending at 6-6. Never mind from 2015 through the final game of 2018 Carthage went to two semifinals, won two state championships and had a 40 game winning streak.

The team they’ve obviously ranked ahead of the Bulldogs have made one semifinal appearance, and two state championship game appearances winning no titles in that same time period.  Here’s the breakdown by season for each team:

Argyle

’14 = 15-1; Lost to Navasota at state

’15 = 15-2; Lost to La Vega at state

’16 = 11-1; Lost to Abilene Wylie

’17 = 12-1; Lost to Stephenville

’18 = 13-1; Lost to La Vega in semifinals

Overall record of 66-6.

Carthage

’14 = 6-6; Lost to El Campo

’15 = 11-4; Lost to La Vega in semifinals

’16 = 13-2; Beat Abilene Wylie to win state

’17 = 16-0; Beat Kennedale to win state

’18 = 15-1; Lost to Liberty Hill in semifinals (40  game win streak broken to end the season)

Overall record of 60-13.

Argyle has the better record, but zero state championships compared to Carthage’s two rings. If Fizz wants to point to the overall record and the one bad season for ranking Argyle ahead of Carthage there’s a flaw there too.

Argyle has regularly played teams like Pinkston, Sanger, Lake Worth, Denison, Wilmer-Hutchins, Lovejoy, Burkburnett and Anna.

Carthage routinely plays teams like Pleasant Grove (gave y’all some props), Liberty Eylau, Gilmer, Gladewater, Kilgore, Henderson and Whitehouse.

Argyle has a great record and kudos to them for winning as many games as they have. The competition the Eagles have played in non-district, district and throughout the playoffs is nowhere near the caliber of competition Carthage plays all year long. Argyle’s road through the playoffs is always way easier due to the region they play in compared to the Dawgs. 

But ultimately, to me, what really counts is the titles. Carthage has two and Argyle has none during the timeframe in question.

When the chips are down the Carthage Bulldogs are who I’m putting my money on every time!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Now send an email and ask them who the "best" overall program is ? Lone star cup standings etc.

Freakin hilarious a thread would be started on this.

DUDE, it's not all about football!!!!!!!!

Sportsfanatic, thank you for the response, the ranking for the dynasty referenced was only about football. 

3 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

If your any kind of sports guy you take a look at ALL sports. JMO!

Hey, I hear you. Once upon a time, Carthage was really good at baseball and that was fun to do something well other than football.

Now I’m going to say something that’s a little tough...ok, here it comes and sorry........

Are you simply disappointed your boys can’t consistently get it done at the highest level on the football field and are required to lean on girls volleyball to boost your school’s Lonestar Cup ranking so you feel better about everything?

😛😜

This is Texas. 

Football is king in this state and Carthage is the king in 4A.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Hey, I hear you. Once upon a time, Carthage was really good at baseball and that was fun to do something well other than football.

Now I’m going to say something that’s a little tough...ok, here it comes and sorry........

Are you simply disappointed your boys can’t consistently get it done at the highest level on the football field and are required to lean on girls volleyball to boost your school’s Lonestar Cup ranking so you feel better about everything?

😛😜

This is Texas. 

Football is king in this state and Carthage is the king in 4A.

Naw, it's just fun to have something to watch year around as a "sports" guy. :lol:

1 minute ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Naw, it's just fun to have something to watch year around as a "sports" guy. :lol:

I truly do agree with you about football not being the only thing in the world to watch.

Argyle has been fantastic in multiple sports for years! Again, great athletic program across the board.

This particular ranking was only about football so I threw it out there to get a little convo going.

Glad we got some banter going back and forth!

4 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

So I was on Twitter this morning and saw a former Carthage Bulldog retweet that some group named Fizz Rankings has ranked the Bulldogs as the second best 4A-D1 program from 2014 - 2018; the most recent five year stretch.

Now, before we get started here, I really have nothing but respect for the other program discussed in this post!

The only team remaining that’d qualify to be in this discussion that’s not been ranked as of yet is Argyle.

So, Argyle will come out as their #1 4A-D1 Dynasty for the past five years. 

I decided to tell Fizz in my opinion their ranking any 4A program over Carthage as the #1 dynasty anytime from 2008 to today is the wrong decision. Fizz let it be known the reason Carthage is #2 is due to their 2014 season ending at 6-6. Never mind from 2015 through the final game of 2018 Carthage went to two semifinals, won two state championships and had a 40 game winning streak.

The team they’ve obviously ranked ahead of the Bulldogs have made one semifinal appearance, and two state championship game appearances winning no titles in that same time period.  Here’s the breakdown by season for each team:

Argyle

’14 = 15-1; Lost to Navasota at state

’15 = 15-2; Lost to La Vega at state

’16 = 11-1; Lost to Abilene Wylie

’17 = 12-1; Lost to Stephenville

’18 = 13-1; Lost to La Vega in semifinals

Overall record of 66-6.

Carthage

’14 = 6-6; Lost to El Campo

’15 = 11-4; Lost to La Vega in semifinals

’16 = 13-2; Beat Abilene Wylie to win state

’17 = 16-0; Beat Kennedale to win state

’18 = 15-1; Lost to Liberty Hill in semifinals (40  game win streak broken to end the season)

Overall record of 60-13.

Argyle has the better record, but zero state championships compared to Carthage’s two rings. If Fizz wants to point to the overall record and the one bad season for ranking Argyle ahead of Carthage there’s a flaw there too.

Argyle has regularly played teams like Pinkston, Sanger, Lake Worth, Denison, Wilmer-Hutchins, Lovejoy, Burkburnett and Anna.

Carthage routinely plays teams like Pleasant Grove (gave y’all some props), Liberty Eylau, Gilmer, Gladewater, Kilgore, Henderson and Whitehouse.

Argyle has a great record and kudos to them for winning as many games as they have. The competition the Eagles have played in non-district, district and throughout the playoffs is nowhere near the caliber of competition Carthage plays all year long. Argyle’s road through the playoffs is always way easier due to the region they play in compared to the Dawgs. 

But ultimately, to me, what really counts is the titles. Carthage has two and Argyle has none during the timeframe in question.

When the chips are down the Carthage Bulldogs are who I’m putting my money on every time!!

GO DAWGS!!!!!!!

Agreed!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I truly do agree with you about football not being the only thing in the world to watch.

Argyle has been fantastic in multiple sports for years! Again, great athletic program across the board.

This particular ranking was only about football so I threw it out there to get a little convo going.

Glad we got some banter going back and forth!

All BS aside, Argyle is always gonna get the rankings love. Probably has something to do with being around the DFW area. Just like Celina does most years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

All BS aside, Argyle is always gonna get the rankings love. Probably has something to do with being around the DFW area. Just like Celina does most years.

I feel the same way. Ranking Argyle #1 in preseason is one thing and not as big a deal. When you go back and look at football history and rank a team with no championships ahead of a team with two that’s a poor poll. Come to think of it, La Vega ought to be ranked #2.

It should probably be:

1. Carthage

2. Waco La Vega

3. Argyle

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I feel the same way. Ranking Argyle #1 in preseason is one thing and not as big a deal. When you go back and look at football history and rank a team with no championships ahead of a team with two that’s a poor poll. Come to think of it, La Vega ought to be ranked #2.

It should probably be:

1. Carthage

2. Waco La Vega

3. Argyle

I would agree

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Gotta give ya props for this statement.

• Thanks 2

It's ridiculous. Carthage over Argyle all day. Argyle got robbed of 1 state championship, but it still doesn't make a difference in the true comparison. Carthage didn't let 1 play determine their state championship games. They won, convincingly. 

• Thanks 1

La Vega has a case for #1. Both had bad seasons in 2014. Both have 2 state titles. Carthage 60-13. LV is 60-12. Carthage won their region 2 other times they didn’t win state. LV only won their region 1 other time they didn’t win state. Series is tied 1-1 in that time. I guess the nod goes to Carthage with 1 more semi-final appearance, but it close. Some people would give it to LV due to the blow out win in 15’.

Talking straight football both ahead of Argyle.

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

La Vega has a case for #1. Both had bad seasons in 2014. Both have 2 state titles. Carthage 60-13. LV is 60-12. Carthage won their region 2 other times they didn’t win state. LV only won their region 1 other time they didn’t win state. Series is tied 1-1 in that time. I guess the nod goes to Carthage with 1 more semi-final appearance, but it close. Some people would give it to LV due to the blow out win in 15’.

Talking straight football both ahead of Argyle.

That’s a good debate. Thinking Carthage should get the edge just for the 40 game win streak also factoring in.