Zeke Elliott Planning Holdout For New Contract

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

Fine him his entire salary and get a newer version of a RB...

I agree with you. The value of a RB has decreased in the new NFL. Use one up on his rookie deal, then move on to another.

I think Zeke is something special.  He's lead the league in rushing twice in three years, being suspended his sophomore season broke his chance to lead the NFL rushing for the first three seasons of his career.  Only Jim Brown and Earl Campbell did that from their rookie to third year.  I think he deserves $15.5 million a season for the next four years.  That would put him over Gurley.  Structure it to where it ups every year though, and if his production comes down cut him.  I'd prefer to see him play his entire career in Dallas, but that's never happened with a tailback.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think Zeke is something special.  He's lead the league in rushing twice in three years, being suspended his sophomore season broke his chance to lead the NFL rushing for the first three seasons of his career.  Only Jim Brown and Earl Campbell did that from their rookie to third year.  I think he deserves $15.5 million a season for the next four years.  That would put him over Gurley.  Structure it to where it ups every year though, and if his production comes down cut him.  I'd prefer to see him play his entire career in Dallas, but that's never happened with a tailback.  

Or if he beats a woman or cop... your guy Zeke has issues man... real issues

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Or if he beats a woman or cop... your guy Zeke has issues man... real issues

He wasn't even with the girl as per witnesses.  She made the accusation on a day that he was hundreds of miles away from her.  He was simply railroaded by the NFL exec. that was a Giants fan.  He bumped the security guard that looked like the 90 lb. wimp in the Charles Atlas comic book ads.  No suspension for that, and there was more to that than the woman he supposedly beat.  

• Like 1

I really don't blame him ... the "shelf life" of RBs in the NFL isn't particularly long compared to most positions.  Asking him to delay his big money opportunity for the good of the team is asking too much for someone like him in his prime ... a career ending injury could be during his next carry.  If he had already signed one big contract and had already slated away big money and this was a renewal, I could see the Cowboys asking him to wait ... no, it's Jerruh's time to pony up if he wants to keep him, or he might walk ...

3 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I really don't blame him ... the "shelf life" of RBs in the NFL isn't particularly long compared to most positions.  Asking him to delay his big money opportunity for the good of the team is asking too much for someone like him in his prime ... a career ending injury could be during his next carry.  If he had already signed one big contract and had already slated away big money and this was a renewal, I could see the Cowboys asking him to wait ... no, it's Jerruh's time to pony up if he wants to keep him, or he might walk ...

Like I said make him the highest paid back for the next 4 years, and then move on.  I don't know if they can have some contract stipulations in regards to his off the field behavior, but do that to.  I can't see guaranteeing his full contract without stipulations in regards to possible suspensions or injury.  I remember Tony Dorsett dropping a mirror on his toe that kept him out of games.  Dock their pay for non performance, and reward them with incentives for their play on the field.  That's how I've always thought professional athletes contracts should be written.  If he has an off year, no big payday, if he has a huge year a huge payday of 20+ million at the current rates in the NFL.  One of the things that gives me tired head is hearing about contract years where players step up their performance for a max deal, and then slack off the next year or more.  We've seen that with numerous athletes not just Cowboys.  I understand that injuries are going to happen in sports, and they should be rewarded for their past accolades when they were paid pennies similar to Jose Altuve.  He seems to be coming around again, but we'll see what his stats are at the end of the season.  Zeke hasn't shown any signs of really taking a beating as Earl Campbell did.  I see his performance more as Emmitt Smith who knew how to dodge bullets, except for the Chicago game that slowed him down.  That's when he began to fall apart.  Only time will tell what will happen with Zeke if he holds out.  I'd at least give him some incentive to play next year if he decides to hold out.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed my mind.  I didn't look up his contract details.  The Cowboys still have two years left on his contract.  I say the same with Dak with his one year left.  If Zeke holds out this season which would be a bad move on his part, see how Dak performs without him.  Daks numbers will slip, and I doubt the Cowboys make the playoffs.  Fire Garrett, look for another quarterback, but sign Zeke to what he deserves after next year since he's due over $9 million.  If Zeke doesn't play this year or next year, I'm not sure how that would affect his contract if he would still have to live up to it or not.  I'm not that savvy when it comes to contracts in the NFL.  Then look for another running back, beginning next year.  I think Zeke has at least 6 good years if not more left in him.  I want him to be a Cowboy, but not if he's going to be pulling these stunts.  

While I don't think he truly has to be in camp for the first two weeks, after that it would be mandatory for him to get in shape, and be ready for the opener.  I would not sign Dak to an extension, until we know what Zeke is going to do.  I feel the same with Amari.  Jaylon Smith and Byron Jones also want to eat at the trough so they're going to want big bucks too.  It might be tough holding this team together, and they haven't even made it to a NFC Championship Game, much less a Super Bowl.  

The only reason a RB's value has changed, is because most teams prefer to throw the ball 600 times a year. Of the teams who have 'special' talent at RB,  and use them, they are very much valued. 

If you think Zeke doesn't have value to the Dallas offense,  I'd have to ask if you watched the 6 games he didn't play in 2017. 

• Thanks 1

Dallas went 3-3 without Zeke. I’d argue that Tyron Smith being injured during that time was a bigger impact than Zeke being out was. Chaz Green against Atlanta/ Adrian Clayborn getting 6 sacks. Dak wasn’t the same QB after that. Alfred Morris had 91 yards against Philly, Dallas had a 9-7 lead at halftime and lose 37-9. Dak threw for 176 and 3 ints. Dallas lose to the Chargers. Dak has 179 and 2 ints. Rod Smith has 41 yards and a TD. Next three games are wins. Dak has a 300 yard game, 7tds/2ints. Alfred Morris has a 127 yard game, 60 yards in Dak’s 300 yard game, and 60 against Oakland. 

Dallas can afford to pay Zeke. Dallas is looking at close to $90m in cap room this next offseason. Dallas can lock up all their core talent in Dak, Amari, Zeke, Byron, Jaylon and still have money left over to add talent to the roster. Dallas under Stephen and McClay believe in analytics, the draft and not spending money on high priced free agents. They will draft a Connor McGovern a year early that will allow them to earn a 3rd round compensatory pick next year when La’el Collins walks in FA. You let a moderately expensive piece walk before he gets real expensive and replace him with a cheaper model on a 4 year rookie deal. It’s how New England has been a dynasty for 15+ years. Pay Zeke. Don’t pay Zeke. Both ideas work in today’s NFL.

It also helps NE that they don't have a QB who demands $30M/yr. And if you're going to go the route of replacing players on a regular basis to prevent the high priced contracts, you need the right coach that knows how to utilize that. I don't believe Garrett can do that. 

The only thing that should prevent anyone from giving Zeke a large payday, is his off field issues. On the field, he deserves it. 

• Like 1

Dak is gonna get $30m. That’s just the going rate for a starter in today’s NFL. That’s a position where the salary is going up and not coming back down. 

Garrett is what he is. He’s a coach that has to be surrounded be a ton of talent to be average or better. He’s not a offensive genius. He’s not a defensive mastermind. He’s not capable of taking this team to the next level. Will Stephen make that change this year if he goes 10-6, wins the division but doesn’t advance in the playoffs? That’s what I want to see.

Zeke’s turned into a 2,000 yard offensive weapon. You don’t find those types of guys on the street. Who on this roster is capable of making that up? He’s also got some knucklehead to him. If your paying him you’d better hedge your bet with some performance bonuses or games played guarantees.

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Dak is gonna get $30m. That’s just the going rate for a starter in today’s NFL. That’s a position where the salary is going up and not coming back down. 

Garrett is what he is. He’s a coach that has to be surrounded be a ton of talent to be average or better. He’s not a offensive genius. He’s not a defensive mastermind. He’s not capable of taking this team to the next level. Will Stephen make that change this year if he goes 10-6, wins the division but doesn’t advance in the playoffs? That’s what I want to see.

Zeke’s turned into a 2,000 yard offensive weapon. You don’t find those types of guys on the street. Who on this roster is capable of making that up? He’s also got some knucklehead to him. If your paying him you’d better hedge your bet with some performance bonuses or games played guarantees.

Zeke hasn't even hit his peak years either.  He hasn't taken the beating that many other greats did, and then started to tail off.  When they sign him they should add clauses for off the field behavior.  I can see trading him, but his value is to high.  He's worth two first rounders and at least a third rounder and a young backup player.  Look at last year running leaders.  Only 9 backs had over 1000 yards rushing in the entire NFL.  A running back only has to average 62.5 yards per game to attain that.  Zeke can do that and more.  Our offensive line isn't as great as it once was, but I'd still put it in the top 8 in the NFL.  It's starting to get up in age too.  I just want to see what he does before the season starts, before I can truly make up my mind.  

One possible way the Cowboys could pay Zeke, still have room to pay others and be able to walk away if the tread starts coming off the tires later on down the road.

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articles/63m-cowboys-way-make-elliott-nfl-highest-paid-rb-ever

FE7FA0E9-394B-4C9A-9027-1F175F2F9A13.jpeg

Joey's chart above shows the answers. This contract allows Zeke to eclipse Gurley in total money for the largest running back contract ever, ($63 million in new money), total guaranteed money ($46.35 mil) and for the most money guaranteed at signing, ($25.95 mil).

This contract does, however, back off from the "Gurley as the ground floor'' sentiment expressed by the Joneses as it regards APY. It falls short of Gurley's number ($14 mil) by putting Elliott's average per year at $12.6 million.

From the team side, this contract increases his cap hit in 2019 by $2.2 mil, but reduces his 2020 cap by $400,000 and his projected 2021 cap by $1 million -- meaning that for the next three seasons, Zeke's cap impact is essentially the same under the new deal as it would be with an option and a tag, and leaves the Cowboys the ability to move on after 2021 with only $4.4 mil in dead money, or after 2022 with only $2.2 mil in dead money.

31 minutes ago, Stoney said:

One possible way the Cowboys could pay Zeke, still have room to pay others and be able to walk away if the tread starts coming off the tires later on down the road.

https://1053thefan.radio.com/articles/63m-cowboys-way-make-elliott-nfl-highest-paid-rb-ever

FE7FA0E9-394B-4C9A-9027-1F175F2F9A13.jpeg

Joey's chart above shows the answers. This contract allows Zeke to eclipse Gurley in total money for the largest running back contract ever, ($63 million in new money), total guaranteed money ($46.35 mil) and for the most money guaranteed at signing, ($25.95 mil).

This contract does, however, back off from the "Gurley as the ground floor'' sentiment expressed by the Joneses as it regards APY. It falls short of Gurley's number ($14 mil) by putting Elliott's average per year at $12.6 million.

From the team side, this contract increases his cap hit in 2019 by $2.2 mil, but reduces his 2020 cap by $400,000 and his projected 2021 cap by $1 million -- meaning that for the next three seasons, Zeke's cap impact is essentially the same under the new deal as it would be with an option and a tag, and leaves the Cowboys the ability to move on after 2021 with only $4.4 mil in dead money, or after 2022 with only $2.2 mil in dead money.

It's  no good because the big money is totally back end loaded.   There is no guarantee he will still be in the league by 2024 ... The NFL is brutal for RBs. They are one carry away from a career ending injury.  He needs to get "PAID" now, not way down the road if he survives that long ...

It’s a little bit of both, Kurt. Zeke gets his money early but Dallas can walk away late. Zeke is looking at $17m (but only $8m guaranteed)with this year’s deal and his option next year. This theoretical new deal gives him $26m guaranteed at signing, which is a nice bump from only $8m.  And still have the chance to earn $46m more if he’s good. If he’s washed up or a knucklehead by 2022, it’s only gonna hurt Dallas $6.6m to walk away from him while saving them $20.5. 

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

It's  no good because the big money is totally back end loaded.   There is no guarantee he will still be in the league by 2024 ... The NFL is brutal for RBs. They are one carry away from a career ending injury.  He needs to get "PAID" now, not way down the road if he survives that long ...

I also don't like the guaranteed money deal for the reason you state above.  I can see a four year deal, but with constraints in his contract in regards to both injuries and off the field issues.  Do you remember Tony Dorsett dropping a mirror on his toe in 1979 that cost him two games, and his rushing yards dropped from the previous year for missing two games ?  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I also don't like the guaranteed money deal for the reason you state above.  I can see a four year deal, but with constraints in his contract in regards to both injuries and off the field issues.  Do you remember Tony Dorsett dropping a mirror on his toe in 1979 that cost him two games, and his rushing yards dropped from the previous year for missing two games ?  

They need to do a 3 or 4 year deal with the base salary closer to the avg of what is on that chart, it should include performance incentives.  They can't  defer 80% of it several years out like this guy is advocating.... it's  too big a risk to the player ... especially a top tier RB ... either pay him now or trade him ...

2 hours ago, JV_COACH said:

Its business and I ain’t going to worry about it til after the break camp in California 

If he's not back by the third preseason game then I'll be worried.  He needs some practice time with the team just to get in shape.  Basically the first two weeks are just walk through's with them rarely having full contact.  I just hope he's staying in shape, because he has been known to show up, and be on the chubby side at some of the past  training camps.  I don't want to see him get injured in the early part of the season.  Heck teams are already losing players for the year to big injuries, and these are just light work outs right now.  

• Like 1