Only in Detroit Texas

Wildwildcat

I retired from this business long ago randomuser. My thoughts were if you are looking for the best teachers and coaches for your kids it's not hard to find a quality coach that has worked their way up and has the desire to be a head coach. The girl who checks me out at stop and go is handy on the register, but that doesn't mean she should be teaching algebra 2 over at the high school.  My perspective  as a retired AD, you search high and low to ensure you are getting the best for your kids, not just what is easy and convenient. 

Sadly we will see more and more of this type of situations occur. Small schools and poorer districts are caught between a rock and a hard place as related to experienced/quality coaches and teachers. If you are still a member of THSCA go to their job board and check out how many job vacancies there still are at this late date. The last time I looked there are still over a thousand job openings and this isn't all of them.

The bigger, richer districts can offer so much more (money wise) not to mention private industry, especially the oil industry offering 30-40 thousand dollars more than someone would make teaching and coaching. Then throw in the number of hours, poor working conditions, parents and administrators second guessing everything you do...why would someone NOT take the better job.

The bottom line is there is a tremendous shortage of qualified coaches and teachers and unfortunately there is a limit to what the smaller districts can pay...the result is, you have to take what you can get...which is sad for the kids but that's the environment we are in now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Are they teaching a subject. I thought you had to be certified and all that. This guy just walk off the street and get a job with no degree or anything?

Can't be a teacher but can be a head coach as long as they are classified as full time employ...can be the janitor (saw that one time), bus barn employee or whatever they want to label the person as...just has to be full time.

7 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

Can't be a teacher but can be a head coach as long as they are classified as full time employ...can be the janitor (saw that one time), bus barn employee or whatever they want to label the person as...just has to be full time.

See it quite a bit with para professionals

• Like 2

Y’all will never be satisfied about anything. That is a great hire for Detroit TX. Detroit ISD hiring of Alumni Da’on savage is no different than a teacher working on an emergency certification. I’m sure he will be working towards gaining certification, and I’m sure he will not be teaching a tested subject. pe/credit recovery/ISS/RTI/para

How about let's wait and see how they do first before we criticize?  Got to be better than some of the people I see. Sometimes a small school district with low pay and a bad program will not get any applicants for their opening.  I know a small school that had ONE applicant for its open girls basketball position.  What choice did they have?  The district had to hire her.  They tried to run with a top 5 team and were it not for the restraint of the other coach, it would've been 120-30.

I bet this gentleman will be better than that.

On 7/22/2019 at 5:48 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

Are they teaching a subject. I thought you had to be certified and all that. This guy just walk off the street and get a job with no degree or anything?

Same as having a teachers aid coach a sport.  Not a fan of it, but it happens.  And sometimes successfully.  Besides you probably wont get a much better candidate at a school that size.