Artificial Turf

Hagar

Artificial turf.  It’s the rage.  It’s also expensive.  To bad kids are going to miss the smell of grass.   Being an old person (ancient) I’m.totally unfamiliar with how it’s done.   Recently, I was in a neighboring town having turf put in.   Being curious, I drove by the stadium to see the progress, and see how they do this.  I could see they were serious because there wasn’t nary a blade of grass on that field.  It was all dirt.  Since I was on the outside looking in, I’m not sure if it was artificial dirt, or dirt dirt.  There was no sign of any artificial grass, as the whole field was brown.  What was most concerning, I didn’t see anyone working, or even around.  That observation got me wondering, if a Contractor is paid to cover a field in artificial turf, but leaves with the money and doesn’t finish the job, is that artificial insemination?

Lmao.  

While it IS expensive to install..... over the course of its life (about 10-12 seasons)... it’s significantly CHEAPER to maintain than grass. 

No watering, fertilizing, painting, paid man hours... list goes on. And no mud bowls.  

Not to artificially sweeten tour thread though....

• Like 2

Well, the great advantage of  'free maintenance' info the turf companies give schools to show how you'll save your school a billion buck in the long run is misleading.  If you are responsible with turf you may get around ten year out of the surface. Replacement of the surface is $450,000- 60K.

3 minutes ago, SloppyJoe said:

Well, the great advantage of  'free maintenance' info the turf companies give schools to show how you'll save your school a billion buck in the long run is misleading.  If you are responsible with turf you may get around ten year out of the surface. Replacement of the surface is $450,000- 60K.

Yeah I read an article that’s says turf companies mislead people and that turf is more expensive than maintaining natural grass. The article also said that replacement is a lot more than you stated. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hagar said:

Artificial turf.  It’s the rage.  It’s also expensive.  To bad kids are going to miss the smell of grass.   Being an old person (ancient) I’m.totally unfamiliar with how it’s done.   Recently, I was in a neighboring town having turf put in.   Being curious, I drove by the stadium to see the progress, and see how they do this.  I could see they were serious because there wasn’t nary a blade of grass on that field.  It was all dirt.  Since I was on the outside looking in, I’m not sure if it was artificial dirt, or dirt dirt.  There was no sign of any artificial grass, as the whole field was brown.  What was most concerning, I didn’t see anyone working, or even around.  That observation got me wondering, if a Contractor is paid to cover a field in artificial turf, but leaves with the money and doesn’t finish the job, is that artificial insemination?

I went by Gladewater's field and nothing but dirt, although the turf was there on the track, just no one working. It was however the weekend. Went by yesterday and turf is down. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

I went by Gladewater's field and nothing but dirt, although the turf was there on the track, just no one working. It was however the weekend. Went by yesterday and turf is down. 

You know what logo they decided to go with? I’m hoping for some black end zones 

texas high had a really nice grass field for years and decided to go to turf. from rumors i had heard about the cost of maintanence over there when they had grass they may actually save money from the switch. i find it hard to believe judging by what some fields looked like before they moved to turf that many schools actually do save anything. 

All joking aside, i feel with the the way the weather has been and how most schools aim to get turf fields in the playoffs it makes more sense to make the switch. Ive go no complaints about our field here at West Rusk, it drains great and doesnt hold water for long even in a monsoon (2015 vs Waskom). The many schools we have played host to have enjoyed our new stadium even though the visitors stands are small for some of the schools we currently play.

4 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Does turf really last 10-12 years? I feel like I've seen some schools already re doing theirs. May depend on the company though 

Can also depend on the usage ------- big schools(and some small schools) have soccer that might play on it...…….band/size of band can help wear it out...….playoff games...…..some schools have more junior high teams than others...….etc etc

The life of the turf depends on the care of the turf.   Adding rubber/sand mixture and sweeping(brushing) the turf extends the life.   If you can get 10-12 years out of it then that is good.

Not sure what the cost is to replace turf, but a bulk of the cost initially is the dirt work and drainage involved.

8 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

I’d say good for 7-8. 

I agree with this. Center did theirs prior to the 2010 season, and it is badly worn now. It’s the worst turf field I’ve seen. They do use it for band practice with a really big band, and for boys and girls soccer, so I’m sure that affects the life of it. 

51 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I agree with this. Center did theirs prior to the 2010 season, and it is badly worn now. It’s the worst turf field I’ve seen. They do use it for band practice with a really big band, and for boys and girls soccer, so I’m sure that affects the life of it. 

That’s the selling point of passing a bond for turf lol.