Coaching/Teaching Issue

Stoney

Seeing on social media several schools looking for coaches and teachers. I’ve never really paid that close attention to it before but is this common, especially with schools starting a month away or so? Is there just not enough people to fill the vacancies nowadays?

Big shortage due to terribly working conditions in many places and much better paying jobs in the general workplace. Last time I looked on the THSCA job board there were over a thousand jobs posted and that’s not all of the vacancies. By “terrible working conditions” I mean Administrators that will not back their teachers and lack of discipline in the classroom...those  are just a couple of reasons good teachers are leaving in droves and young teachers are quitting after a year or two. Couple that with low pay and you have a recipe for disaster. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

No discipline and no backing by admin is why I pulled my wife from teaching. 6th grade science and some of the stuff said to her you’d thought she was working at the Telford Unit in gen pop. I couldn’t imagine talking like that to a teacher. It was locker room talk at the teacher. Crazy. Told kid I’d be dreading my 18th birthday if I were him. He’s 16 now. Tick tock tick tock. 

I seriously don’t see how there are ANY female teachers left. I also have heard kids say some terrible things to some of the kindest, sweetest teachers. I’ve seen those same teachers send those kids to the principals office for “discipline” only to have the kid sent back and the teachers reprimanded and told not to send them anymore for trivial stuff!!! Just incredible. The kids AND the parents need taken to the woodshed a couple of times and that garbage would stop!!! 

1 hour ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

What this one kid said to my wife was in front of the whole class room and would make Larry Flynt blush. Had a meeting with principal and principal said well maybe it was just a one time thing. I told her to pick up the phone and get her husband down there. She asked why. I said cause I’m going to say to you what that kid said to my wife and when he gets mad I’m gonna say hey what’s the problem I only said it once. After that meeting I told my wife after the semester ends you won’t be going back. 

Not surprised at all. After 25 years I retired in December and haven’t missed it one bit. I loved coaching and the relationships I built with some incredible young people that will last a lifetime but the “circus” that public education has become in general has ruined a great occupation for young teachers starting their careers. 

it's a combination of things...primarily I believe its due to the economy, a lot of folks can go make more money and have less headaches in the private sector so many are leaving education....combine that with fewer young people getting in and you have the recipe for a market that favors folks looking for jobs

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

it's a combination of things...primarily I believe its due to the economy, a lot of folks can go make more money and have less headaches in the private sector so many are leaving education....combine that with fewer young people getting in and you have the recipe for a market that favors folks looking for jobs

Don’t agree that money...or the lack of...is the “primary” reason people are leaving. One of the reasons, definitely, but not the main reason. Most would stay if discipline and ridiculous demands by administration and added paperwork due to state mandated testing were reduced. We all know we aren’t going to get rich, but add the other garbage and it’s just a killer for the profession. 

20 minutes ago, blesseddaily said:

Don’t agree that money...or the lack of...is the “primary” reason people are leaving. One of the reasons, definitely, but not the main reason. Most would stay if discipline and ridiculous demands by administration and added paperwork due to state mandated testing were reduced. We all know we aren’t going to get rich, but add the other garbage and it’s just a killer for the profession. 

I can only go off what I've been told by the guys I speak with and text with, its not a full sample size by any means but its double digit coaches...I know for a fact in West Texas its absolutely money related....

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

I can only go off what I've been told by the guys I speak with and text with, its not a full sample size by any means but its double digit coaches...I know for a fact in West Texas its absolutely money related....

LOLOL!!! I was going to add to my answer that it depends a lot on the area of the state you live in!! And you are absolutely correct about out west...but teachers salaries in east Tx (while are not great, by any means) are good enough to do ok with both parents teaching and there isn't a lot of choice (of good paying occupations) in many areas in east Texas!! The money out west in the oil industry is just crazy good...to good to pass up if you are young, able!! 

Yeah there is "good" money to be made in certain districts.  This year it seems worse than most about the number of jobs still open.  And not just assistant jobs, I still see head coaching positions and even bigger school coordinator jobs still open at this point.  Seems like the time to be a newer coach that wants to move up the food chain!

You want to fix public schools to make them more attractive for teachers and coaches? Lord knows we need to! So... Fix our ridiculous judicial system where our litigious society full of ambulance chasing lawyers and weak minded parents and civilians can't run roughshod over authority and rules. Leaders, teachers, administrators are all afraid to make a stand for what's right for fear they will be sued for being firm and strong in authority. In fact.... the general lack of respect for any authority in our modern society is what we are witnessing. Look at what is happening to our police personnel now. Want to change schools? Go vote! Elect legislators who will vote your mind and represent your views. GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 4to3 said:

19 teacher/coach positions listed at Region 8 ESC this morning.

Adding to what Sammy said above, better start electing public ed friendly legislators, especially on the Texas Senate side of the legislature, and then we might have a chance. For the record, Dan Patrick ain't public ed friendly😀

Lt. Gov Dan Goeb is a post turtle politician. You don’t know how he get up there but you sure as he’ll know he doesn’t belong.

• Like 1

As I stated in another thread - I was in a group conversation very recently that included a small town HS AD, and they said they and a neighboring town's HS AD were both looking for teacher/coaches in late July because teachers and candidates are taking better-paying private sector jobs where they don't have to deal with kids they are restricted from disciplining.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 4:16 PM, bignasty said:

Could go to Houston area.   Most districts start out at over $50,000 per year for a 1st year teacher.  Heck , read where on districts 1st year teacher makes $60,000 right out of college.

Wow

$60K for a first year teacher?????

That's insane.  I agree teaching is underpaid...... no argument there.  But wowzers.  60K!????

I make more than 60K....but it's taken me 15-plus years of working in a VERY high stress, high volume, high acuity trauma center to get where I am.   Not to mention all the certifications and additional education I've had to accumulate and recertify frequently to get to my current salary.  

A 3% annual raise....which is somewhat low...... for 15 Years would put them at almost $94,000.  That's more than I make now....lmao.  

Not saying I'd be bitter.....but....pass the lemons please.  I know teaching is stressful/dangerous.....but not sure it's any more stressful/Dangerous than mine...and many others that don't have anywhere near that rate of growth.

And I've had black eyes, stitches, and been body slammed by psych patients that were a foot taller than me.

Ahhh... joys of ER.... and being 5'5".

Maybe teaching Biology and Chemistry to HS students would be a better gig.  And I'd get summers and Christmas off.... and weekends.  

On 7/24/2019 at 2:21 PM, MattStepp said:

Economy does have a part but that is not the primary cause (my opinion) it's the permissive society we have now. If we still had discipline as we did in my day it would be different. The parents done there due diligence about the schools discipline of there child. And if in there opinion the discipline was was needed then they backed the school,  if not then they backed there child. Not going to the school and cussing the school and teacher and threatening a law suit.  

• Like 1