Coaching/Teaching Issue

Stoney

I remember a paddling at school for eating chips in class, and two more whippings later that day.  Teachers are not there to teach discipline and respect at school, nor should they be.  Send the disrespecting, diginerat home. 

If the parents can,t do their job of teaching respect, dont be surprised these kids are sent home or expelled. They will be hopeless milinials on the street with no clue of what's ahead of them.  

I'm sorry, I have "0" compasion for disrespecting kids, and the parents who let their little monsters loose on the street and in our schools.  They will most likely end up that way anyhow.

Expel them!  JMO

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MuleSlicks said:

I remember a paddling at school for eating chips in class, and two more whippings later that day.  Teachers are not there to teach discipline and respect at school, nor should they be.  Send the disrespecting, diginerat home. 

If the parents can,t do their job of teaching respect, dont be surprised these kids are sent home or expelled. They will be hopeless milinials on the street with no clue of what's ahead of them.  

I'm sorry, I have "0" compasion for disrespecting kids, and the parents who let their little monsters loose on the street and in our schools.  They will most likely end up that way anyhow.

Expel them!  JMO

Kids just act like their parents for the most part. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Ramfanforever said:

Economy does have a part but that is not the primary cause (my opinion) it's the permissive society we have now. If we still had discipline as we did in my day it would be different. The parents done there due diligence about the schools discipline of there child. And if in there opinion the discipline was was needed then they backed the school,  if not then they backed there child. Not going to the school and cussing the school and teacher and threatening a law suit.  

Huh?

On 7/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, Mavchamp said:

$60K for a first year teacher?????

That's insane.  I agree teaching is underpaid...... no argument there.  But wowzers.  60K!????

I make more than 60K....but it's taken me 15-plus years of working in a VERY high stress, high volume, high acuity trauma center to get where I am.   Not to mention all the certifications and additional education I've had to accumulate and recertify frequently to get to my current salary.  

A 3% annual raise....which is somewhat low...... for 15 Years would put them at almost $94,000.  That's more than I make now....lmao.  

Not saying I'd be bitter.....but....pass the lemons please.  I know teaching is stressful/dangerous.....but not sure it's any more stressful/Dangerous than mine...and many others that don't have anywhere near that rate of growth.

And I've had black eyes, stitches, and been body slammed by psych patients that were a foot taller than me.

Ahhh... joys of ER.... and being 5'5".

Maybe teaching Biology and Chemistry to HS students would be a better gig.  And I'd get summers and Christmas off.... and weekends.  

Ha, wish there was a 3% raise every year but that’s not happening. What raises teachers receive are eaten by insurance. 2 years ago my district gave us a 4% raise and my take home was less because of the cost of insurance going up. That raise is highly overrated. Teachers also have TOO much educational courses and certifications that you mentioned you have acquired to achieve your pay.

Very few teachers have weekends and summers off as they attend professional development courses throughout the summers. Coaches never have weekends or summers “off”. We really aren’t “off”. Many people don’t understand that teachers are paid for 187 days of work which is a little over 9 months. The checks are divided by 12 to ensure you can pay bills throughout the year. Yes, teachers don’t work in the summer for the most part but it isn’t paid time “off” as the public sees it but living off of their earnings from the previous 9 months. And over half the teachers and coaches I know have a summer job and many have a 2nd job during the school year. In other words it isn’t as glorious and high paying as your post makes it sound.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Valhalla said:

That is the highest in the state.

Highest in the state and will be 2nd to nobody when it comes to teacher pay.

5 hours ago, randomuser said:

Ha, wish there was a 3% raise every year but that’s not happening. What raises teachers receive are eaten by insurance. 2 years ago my district gave us a 4% raise and my take home was less because of the cost of insurance going up. That raise is highly overrated. Teachers also have TOO much educational courses and certifications that you mentioned you have acquired to achieve your pay.

Very few teachers have weekends and summers off as they attend professional development courses throughout the summers. Coaches never have weekends or summers “off”. We really aren’t “off”. Many people don’t understand that teachers are paid for 187 days of work which is a little over 9 months. The checks are divided by 12 to ensure you can pay bills throughout the year. Yes, teachers don’t work in the summer for the most part but it isn’t paid time “off” as the public sees it but living off of their earnings from the previous 9 months. And over half the teachers and coaches I know have a summer job and many have a 2nd job during the school year. In other words it isn’t as glorious and high paying as your post makes it sound.

This district gives raises every year.  Area is loaded with Petroleum Industry facilities.   

Unfortunately, many of the teachers are viewed as whiners by and large these days and that's because the private sector jobs (unless you're in the oil boom areas) of the rest of the population are not nearly as lucrative as they were in the heyday of industrial America (1940s through 1970s).

IMO, this is why the MAGA slogan caught on so well politically. There are those of us who remember when there was a large middle class which didn't have to struggle to make ends meet. One paycheck at a good job in Longview, for instance, could easily support a family of four or more. Many of these good jobs did not require a college education either. You graduated from high school and went to work at Eastman, for example. Provided you didn't screw up, you had it made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 36gut said:

Unfortunately, many of the teachers are viewed as whiners by and large these days and that's because the private sector jobs (unless you're in the oil boom areas) of the rest of the population are not nearly as lucrative as they were in the heyday of industrial America (1940s through 1970s).

IMO, this is why the MAGA slogan caught on so well politically. There are those of us who remember when there was a large middle class which didn't have to struggle to make ends meet. One paycheck at a good job in Longview, for instance, could easily support a family of four or more. Many of these good jobs did not require a college education either. You graduated from high school and went to work at Eastman, for example. Provided you didn't screw up, you had it made.

Or Lone  Star Steel. I graduated in 1982 in East Texas and many of my friends couldn’t wait to get a job at Lone Star or Eastman. Several of my HS friends are working at Eastman today still.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2019 at 11:37 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

Man can you imagine working the ER at Parkland Hospital on a Friday or Saturday night. 

I don't have to imagine....I've done it LOL.  I worked at Parkland on a travel assignment in the summer of 2017.

Worst job I have EVER had.  EVER.

And that's impressive considering I've worked in a hospital with MLK in the title.... let that sink in.

I worked at King-Drew Medical Center in COMPTON back in 2007.  Still not as bad as Parkland.  LOL.

They tried to entice me with enough money I could have made almost $100K a year and I still took a hard pass on the offer....lmao.

NO.  SIR.

And yeah.... Friday and Saturday nights at Parkland made any of the medical drama shows on TV look like Saturday morning cartoons.

On 7/24/2019 at 11:36 AM, NATUREBOY98 said:

What this one kid said to my wife was in front of the whole class room and would make Larry Flynt blush. Had a meeting with principal and principal said well maybe it was just a one time thing. I told her to pick up the phone and get her husband down there. She asked why. I said cause I’m going to say to you what that kid said to my wife and when he gets mad I’m gonna say hey what’s the problem I only said it once. After that meeting I told my wife after the semester ends you won’t be going back. 

Principal and her is the main problem. That and guys that think like a her. 

The biggest issue filling these roles is that most coaching positions are attached to a specific teaching field.  Too many football coaches as math teachers handicaps principals on Fridays etc...  that’s the hardest part... and you always have a couple of ppl that will screw you and take another job in the middle of July

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

The biggest issue filling these roles is that most coaching positions are attached to a specific teaching field.  Too many football coaches as math teachers handicaps principals on Fridays etc...  that’s the hardest part... and you always have a couple of ppl that will screw you and take another job in the middle of July

And it’s really hard for a lot of schools to fill some of those specific teaching fields with a coach in June/July.

Been doing this for over 20 plus years and cannot tell you how may times when I got started how many students told me that they would be their kids best friend. I would ask them in class would you let your best friend discipline you. Not a one said yes. The problem is they have their kids young and try to be their best friend instead of raising them. A whole generation of students that lack discipline and don't respect their parents because they did not have any. Therefore they lack respect for any authority figure at all.

• Like 1

You are speaking some truth 514. We should learn to respect authority again and if we have question or issue with it then we should criticize or question in private. If a true wrong is committed by someone in authority we should blow the whistle on them, but not just because we didn't get our way or what we wanted. Alot of people do not understand the difference anymore.

9 hours ago, 514 said:

Been doing this for over 20 plus years and cannot tell you how may times when I got started how many students told me that they would be their kids best friend. I would ask them in class would you let your best friend discipline you. Not a one said yes. The problem is they have their kids young and try to be their best friend instead of raising them. A whole generation of students that lack discipline and don't respect their parents because they did not have any. Therefore they lack respect for any authority figure at all.

Amen

On 7/24/2019 at 10:16 AM, blesseddaily said:

Big shortage due to terribly working conditions in many places and much better paying jobs in the general workplace. Last time I looked on the THSCA job board there were over a thousand jobs posted and that’s not all of the vacancies. By “terrible working conditions” I mean Administrators that will not back their teachers and lack of discipline in the classroom...those  are just a couple of reasons good teachers are leaving in droves and young teachers are quitting after a year or two. Couple that with low pay and you have a recipe for disaster. 

I've been employed in 8 districts beginning in the 70's (and I'm still going) and I've never been in a school that had terrible conditions where admin didn't support teachers with difficult kids.  I don't think every school fits your description...certainly not the ones I've been in.  I don't doubt there are some that have that issue, but please don't make it out to be all public schools because I know that is not the case.

41 minutes ago, neveragain said:

I've been employed in 8 districts beginning in the 70's (and I'm still going) and I've never been in a school that had terrible conditions where admin didn't support teachers with difficult kids.  I don't think every school fits your description...certainly not the ones I've been in.  I don't doubt there are some that have that issue, but please don't make it out to be all public schools because I know that is not the case.

Didn't say all but if you will scroll up a few posts you will see a poll results that back what I said and what I have experienced. You are very fortunate that you have had good administrators...that is not the norm whether you want to believe it or not. Just curious, if you started in the 70’s and “still going” you’ve been doing this for almost 50 years??? And you aren’t an administrator?? If so congratulations on your longevity!! You are to be admired, sir!!

On 7/24/2019 at 6:37 PM, Sportsguru02 said:

Sister n law went back to become a counselor because said they put to much pressure on teachers with the STARR test 

Wait til she finds out what counselors really  work on now a days...

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

On 7/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, neveragain said:

Correct...I have been in several districts (7) over my career and they were well run campuses...had some pretty good admins as well...

5 hours ago, Bock said:

Correct...I have been in several districts (7) over my career and they were well run campuses...had some pretty good admins as well...

7 districts.   Yikes!!!!!! Lots of moving.   In 29 years I have been in 2 districts.