Guest Sideliner

I wonder why we even have vehicle inspections, because all they do is check your tires, brakes, lights, windshield, wipers, and in a few counties emission. I remember back in the 70's that people could use hand signals (not the vulgar gestures) legally.

I first became a car owner in 1986, and for the past 28 years I've always waited until the next month to get my inspection. This removes the 13 month allowment, and luckily, next year I'll be within the 90 day period to renew both. I'm wondering however if all inspections are going to cost $25 from what I've heard. I just renewed mine for the cost of $14.50, but are they all going up, and is emission testing going to be done in all counties ? I tried to look up that information, and couldn't find it.

Go try and live in a state that doesn't require a vehicle inspection and you'll understand why.

Guest 4to3

I wonder why we even have vehicle inspections, because all they do is check your tires, brakes, lights, windshield, wipers, and in a few counties emission. I remember back in the 70's that people could use hand signals (not the vulgar gestures) legally.

I first became a car owner in 1986, and for the past 28 years I've always waited until the next month to get my inspection. This removes the 13 month allowment, and luckily, next year I'll be within the 90 day period to renew both. I'm wondering however if all inspections are going to cost $25 from what I've heard. I just renewed mine for the cost of $14.50, but are they all going up, and is emission testing going to be done in all counties ? I tried to look up that information, and couldn't find it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/20091213-Are-Texas-auto-safety-inspections-1957.ece

Little guidance

But proving - or disproving - the specific success of safety inspections isn't that simple, and that ambiguity has resulted in little guidance from federal agencies over the years.

In 1976, Congress eliminated the Transportation Department's ability to withhold funds from states that did not have inspection programs, and several states dropped their inspections then.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration determined in 1989 that safety inspections reduced the number of poorly maintained cars but that there wasn't enough evidence to show vehicle checks prevented accidents.

The agency has decided that states should determine whether inspection programs are worthwhile, a spokeswoman said.

Independent and state-level research offers similar conflicting reports about the effectiveness of state safety inspections in preventing accidents and saving lives.

Dan Sutter, an economics professor at the University of Texas-Pan American, co-authored a 2002 study that found car inspections have little to no effect on decreasing accidents, which he attributes partly to cars' improved reliability.

"It seems reasonable that vehicle safety inspections would be a good thing," he said. "But the data just doesn't support that."

Texas has performed no evaluations of its safety program, but state legislators flirted with disbanding the vehicle inspections in the late 1980s after an uproar about inspection stations charging excessive amounts to fix headlights' aim. But before any action was taken, the state removed headlight aim from the inspections.

Go try and live in a state that doesn't require a vehicle inspection and you'll understand why.

I've lived in Oklahoma and Alabama, and yeah there were some hoopties on the road. I never had any problems, because I'd pass them and leave them chugging along behind.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/20091213-Are-Texas-auto-safety-inspections-1957.ece

Little guidance

But proving - or disproving - the specific success of safety inspections isn't that simple, and that ambiguity has resulted in little guidance from federal agencies over the years.

In 1976, Congress eliminated the Transportation Department's ability to withhold funds from states that did not have inspection programs, and several states dropped their inspections then.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration determined in 1989 that safety inspections reduced the number of poorly maintained cars but that there wasn't enough evidence to show vehicle checks prevented accidents.

The agency has decided that states should determine whether inspection programs are worthwhile, a spokeswoman said.

Independent and state-level research offers similar conflicting reports about the effectiveness of state safety inspections in preventing accidents and saving lives.

Dan Sutter, an economics professor at the University of Texas-Pan American, co-authored a 2002 study that found car inspections have little to no effect on decreasing accidents, which he attributes partly to cars' improved reliability.

"It seems reasonable that vehicle safety inspections would be a good thing," he said. "But the data just doesn't support that."

Texas has performed no evaluations of its safety program, but state legislators flirted with disbanding the vehicle inspections in the late 1980s after an uproar about inspection stations charging excessive amounts to fix headlights' aim. But before any action was taken, the state removed headlight aim from the inspections.

Exactly, it's just another hoop you have to jump through and bring more $$$ to the State, although they are minimal.

I've lived in Oklahoma and Alabama, and yeah there were some hoopties on the road. I never had any problems, because I'd pass them and leave them chugging along behind.

If you have the opportunity you can. If someone's worn out tire blew out causing them to wreck into you, you would change your mind.

Guest 4to3

A vehicle is in compliance only on the day it passes. Three to six months later is a different story.

If you have the opportunity you can. If someone's worn out tire blew out causing them to wreck into you, you would change your mind.

They still sell used tires at many garages. If they're so worried about that why haven't they outlawed that ? I'll admit when I was 19, I bought a used tire thinking it would save me some money. I've had a blowout with a tire that was only 3 months old, and it was a Goodyear tire.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

RG Ratcliffe wrote this piece in Texas Monthly suggesting that individuals who think their property taxes are too high should look to the state legislature.

I've heard Smith County had some of the lowest property taxes in the State, and I know if my house was there it would be only a third of what we pay here. Looking at Medians it would be Terrell Co.. I just don't know much about their housing because I've never been there or had a desire to go there. I do know that "No Country for Old Men" was set there. http://www.tax-rates.org/texas/property-tax

I've heard Smith County had some of the lowest property taxes in the State, and I know if my house was there it would be only a third of what we pay here. Looking at Medians it would be Terrell Co.. I just don't know much about their housing because I've never been there or had a desire to go there. I do know that "No Country for Old Men" was set there. http://www.tax-rates.org/texas/property-tax

The taxes out here in Parker Co are ridiculous

What school district and town do you pay to?

Believe it or not we live on a dividing line of two school districts. So we have to pay Klein, Aldine, Harris County, and West Mount Houston MUD. We actually purchased this home when it was 3 years old for half the value that it's appraised at via an auction when the housing market was still recovering. Had I known what the property taxes were going to be I would have nixed the idea to move to Houston, and would be living in Tyler again. It's a good thing we still own that property, because in a way I want to sell this place, and move back home.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, btex said:

So anyone who opposed that should not be reelected or elected? 

I think what he is saying is that he supported open carry, then flip flopped faster than crazy Joe at voting time.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think what he is saying is that he supported open carry, then flip flopped faster than crazy Joe at voting time.

Constitutional carry has been the top priority issue among the republican legislatures in Austin for the past several years. Bonnen ran on the issue to get elected, then started opposing it once elected.  Abbott talks a good game but he doesn't really support it either.  Bonnen has killed all attempts to even bring it to the floor for a vote.  It would easily pass if voted on. Abbott would be forced to sign it if it passed.  I think Bonnen's days are numbered because of his betrayal  ...

• Mr. P changed the title to Texas House Speaker accused of conspiring against fellow Republicans in 2020
  • Mr. P changed the title to TEXAS Politics 🇨🇱