💥 Battle over the Second Amendment

RETIREDFAN1

Firearms Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Universal Background Checks for all gun sales and transfers?

2. 2. Do you support expanded screening for prohibited buyers to include persons with violent mental health history?

3. 3. Do you support reinstating the 1994 assault weapons ban?

We have got to start taking mental health more seriously. This kid was crazy from what I read. He commented on a YouTube video saying "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." The FBI knew about that. Even his friends joked that if anyone was to shoot up a school, it would be him. Kids have to realize that sometimes being a snitch isn't a bad thing. If someone shows signs of crazy or being unstable, tell someone. if you're not sure, still tell someone. Better safe than sorry.

As far as the gun convo goes, this kid bought it legally. Which doesn't make sense to me. Idk if we need to make it harder for people or really start looking at background checks harder. I have no idea. But in my personal opinion, the gun is a tool, the mental health is the source. I have 0 solutions to this. Taking guns away would be stupid, but I don't think it would be a bad thing making it more difficult for some individuals.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I agree. Gun-free school zones need to be a thing of the past. Make government grants available for school districts to hire military vets as campus security. That’s about the best use of federal tax dollars in public education I can think of. 

I think you’re on the right track

33 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

We have got to start taking mental health more seriously. This kid was crazy from what I read. He commented on a YouTube video saying "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." The FBI knew about that. Even his friends joked that if anyone was to shoot up a school, it would be him. Kids have to realize that sometimes being a snitch isn't a bad thing. If someone shows signs of crazy or being unstable, tell someone. if you're not sure, still tell someone. Better safe than sorry.

As far as the gun convo goes, this kid bought it legally. Which doesn't make sense to me. Idk if we need to make it harder for people or really start looking at background checks harder. I have no idea. But in my personal opinion, the gun is a tool, the mental health is the source. I have 0 solutions to this. Taking guns away would be stupid, but I don't think it would be a bad thing making it more difficult for some individuals.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!

5 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Felons, as far as I know, cannot legally own guns. They can't vote, either, in some states.

How is that relevant to this discussion???? Making it "more difficult" for legal, law abiding citizens to purchase guns is an infringement BY DEFINITION........again.....the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.........

18 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

How is that relevant to this discussion???? Making it "more difficult" for legal, law abiding citizens to purchase guns is an infringement BY DEFINITION........again.....the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.........

Oh, I agree. But most people aren't criminals -- until they are. We don't live by "shall not be infringed", because Congress, the courts, etc. have determined that certain people (i.e. felons) cannot legally own guns. But to your point about legal, law abiding citizens, no argument.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

I meant making it more difficult/not allowing individuals like this kid to own a gun. He was expelled from school, and showed a history of violence and being troubled. Even the FBI knew about that. 

• Like 1

Without violating HIPAA laws, I would like to see a way that Psychologists/Psychiatrists can deem violent mentally ill patients incapable of purchasing a gun legally... Reports are that he had "countless" magazines on him... what made him stop?

• Like 1

The FBI knew about the kid, the government knew about the Southerland Springs church shooter, so apparently screaming eagle's opinions about guns do not keep anybody safe, but does give him a false feeling of  morally superiority.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/27175/report-fbi-was-warned-september-about-florida-james-barrett

53 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I meant making it more difficult/not allowing individuals like this kid to own a gun. He was expelled from school, and showed a history of violence and being troubled. Even the FBI knew about that. 

If anybody is to blame, it's the FBI for not taking action against people like this who have made these kinds of statements publically. What are they waiting for?  The knew he was a ticking time-bomb that might explode at any moment.  Gun control is not the answer ... mental health control is the answer ...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

If anybody is to blame, it's the FBI for not taking action against people like this who have made these kinds of statements publically. What are they waiting for?  The knew he was a ticking time-bomb that might explode at any moment.  Gun control is not the answer ... mental health control is the answer ...

While I generally agree with your premise, Kirt, the problem there is that there are individuals (and I've seen this argument made) who say that if you want a gun, you have a mental illness, and therefore should not have one.

Legislation there would have to be carefully defined.

2 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

While I generally agree with your premise, Kirt, the problem there is that there are individuals (and I've seen this argument made) who say that if you want a gun, you have a mental illness, and therefore should not have one.

Legislation there would have to be carefully defined.

That's a false argument, people with THAT mindset have a mental illness ....

15 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

That's a false argument, people with THAT mindset have a mental illness ....

Oh, I understand that, but people make and listen to informal logical fallacies all the time.

But again, I could see certain people trying to broadly define "mental illness". I mean, I could see people listing things like "anger issues" being classified as a "mental illness".

Wait until people try to classify conservative thought or belief in God as a mental illness (I think there are already people who believe the 2nd)...

1 hour ago, ScreamingEagle said:

Exactly, all students should be carrying guns. That will cut down on crazy people shooting others 🙄

MAYBE NOT PUTTING KIDS ON DRUGS WOULD HELP SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
Every single mass shooter over the past 20 years has been committed by someone on a narrow band of antidepressants, and yet we get barely a peep about this from the mainstream media.

Bullets-Pills-Antidepressants-1.pngIt makes sense for someone who is anti-gun to ignore the connection between antidepressants and mass shootings.  From a purely tactical perspective, mass shootings are a big win for the anti-gun lobby, with each shooting causing a litany of anti-gun articles in every major news outlet (save Fox News) in the country.  The gun rights lobby may have logic and reason on their side, but logic and reason mean very little in the wake of seventeen dead school children, and a gun ban hits all the right emotional buttons, 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Oh, I understand that, but people make and listen to informal logical fallacies all the time.

But again, I could see certain people trying to broadly define "mental illness". I mean, I could see people listing things like "anger issues" being classified as a "mental illness".

Wait until people try to classify conservative thought or belief in God as a mental illness (I think there are already people who believe the 2nd)...

That's what that ignorant lady on "the view", Joey Blowhard, or something said about VP Pence recently ...

2 minutes ago, ScreamingEagle said:

I wonder how many were not taking their meds at the time of the shooting. I have a better idea. How about we just give all kids guns and make sure that those with mental issues have no meds. That should fix everything. 

I've got an even better idea ... let's declare liberalism a mental health disease ... in fact, it's an epidemic ... and you are ate up with it !!! ... :woot:

• LOL! 1

25 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

MAYBE NOT PUTTING KIDS ON DRUGS WOULD HELP SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
Every single mass shooter over the past 20 years has been committed by someone on a narrow band of antidepressants, and yet we get barely a peep about this from the mainstream media.

Bullets-Pills-Antidepressants-1.pngIt makes sense for someone who is anti-gun to ignore the connection between antidepressants and mass shootings.  From a purely tactical perspective, mass shootings are a big win for the anti-gun lobby, with each shooting causing a litany of anti-gun articles in every major news outlet (save Fox News) in the country.  The gun rights lobby may have logic and reason on their side, but logic and reason mean very little in the wake of seventeen dead school children, and a gun ban hits all the right emotional buttons, 

Not only this, but could you imagine Obama's presidential address regarding another mass shooting... Gun CONTROL GUN CONTROL GUN CONTROL.  (pssst... we also mourn for the loss of those students) GUN CONTROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

I agree with you 100%. It's time we start taking mental health more seriously. A gun is a tool. I've said it in the past, if someone wants to carry out evil, they will use ANYTHING to make that possible. 

4 hours ago, ScreamingEagle said:

Exactly, all students should be carrying guns. That will cut down on crazy people shooting others 🙄

When we have a mass shooting at a school like the ones in East Texas that allow teachers to carry, I’ll have this discussion with you. Until then, West Hardin, Union Grove, and Gary ISDs all look pretty safe. That’s just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 💥 Battle over the Second Amendment
  • Mr. P locked and unlocked this topic