💥 Battle over the Second Amendment

RETIREDFAN1

Firearms Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support Universal Background Checks for all gun sales and transfers?

2. 2. Do you support expanded screening for prohibited buyers to include persons with violent mental health history?

3. 3. Do you support reinstating the 1994 assault weapons ban?

He doesn't go nearly far enough.  The flimsy measures they have already taken aren't much more than window dressing.  Schools need much tougher security measures in place ... a teacher with a concealed handgun permit with a gun in a "locked box" is woefully inadequate in my opinion.  I think schools need visibly armed security at most, if not all, entrances, in addition to teachers/administrators actually carrying concealed ... 

Edited by KirtFalcon

18 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

He doesn't go nearly far enough.  The flimsy measures they have already taken aren't much more than window dressing.  Schools need much tougher security measures in place ... a teacher with a concealed handgun permit with a gun in a "locked box" is woefully inadequate in my opinion.  I think schools need visibly armed security at most, if not all, entrances, in addition to teachers/administrators actually carrying concealed ... 

Some schools even have entrances where you must be "buzzed in" to get into the building. I don't know about all entrances, but I know the front entrance, at least.

Every door entrance needs to be automatically locked. Nobody gets in unless a teacher or administrative person lets them in. Waskom has a hired policeman on duty but he can't be everywhere. At Church we have now started locking the door after services start and have a monitor at the main entrance along with cameras monitoring the hallways and outside. I know also we have about 3 to 4 people carrying concealed weapons. Pure shame it has come to this

2 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Some schools even have entrances where you must be "buzzed in" to get into the building. I don't know about all entrances, but I know the front entrance, at least.

I went back to my old High School this past October for my 30th reunion.  It looked more like a prison than a school.  It had bars all around the school and a police substation in front of the school.  I couldn't believe it.  The year before I went to High School they had an open campus, but not for us.  I think they need a certain number of police or ex-Veterans depending on the size of the campus.  I don't think they should be barred up like prisons.  

1 hour ago, Wild74 said:

Every door entrance needs to be automatically locked. Nobody gets in unless a teacher or administrative person lets them in. Waskom has a hired policeman on duty but he can't be everywhere. At Church we have now started locking the door after services start and have a monitor at the main entrance along with cameras monitoring the hallways and outside. I know also we have about 3 to 4 people carrying concealed weapons. Pure shame it has come to this

That wouldn't happen at my church back in the day.  I can't tell you how many families were consistently late for church on Sunday.  

21 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

That wouldn't happen at my church back in the day.  I can't tell you how many families were consistently late for church on Sunday.  

Yes we have to have someone at the main door to let those who are a little late in

41 minutes ago, 4to3 said:

What criteria do you use when determining staffing numbers? 

The problem with school security IMO is facility design.  Older schools still being utilized back then when they were constructed were not and did not have to be designed with active shooters in mind. You've got many outer buildings away from the central campus building to consider as well like band halls, ag buildings, fieldhouses, and gyms just to name a few. 

Older schools will have some problems that is for sure, I don't know what else will work really. 

26 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

Older schools will have some problems that is for sure, I don't know what else will work really. 

The state needs to provide training, from DPS/ Texas Rangers,  in getting staff members up to speed on how to handle various situations. Every school is built differently. If I go to the front office at either of our campuses, I have to be buzzed in, but there are multiple entrances/ exits where someone can just open a door and let someone in. Every school needs a security plan tailored specifically for their buildings. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Getting funding for military veterans/ retired or off-duty LEO is going to be an uphill battle. I think training faculty/ staff and allowing ones to carry after they pass a background check is the best solution. 

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The state needs to provide training, from DPS/ Texas Rangers,  in getting staff members up to speed on how to handle various situations. Every school is built differently. If I go to the front office at either of our campuses, I have to be buzzed in, but there are multiple entrances/ exits where someone can just open a door and let someone in. Every school needs a security plan tailored specifically for their buildings. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Getting funding for military veterans/ retired or off-duty LEO is going to be an uphill battle. I think training faculty/ staff and allowing ones to carry after they pass a background check is the best solution. 

That would be a step in the right direction.  Trained faculty/staff should be actually carrying at all times, not wondering if they have time to go get their gun in a locked box somewhere ... I think visibly armed security personnel in addition to the concealed carriers would also be a great deterrent to anyone thinking about an attack ...

16 hours ago, 4to3 said:

What criteria do you use when determining staffing numbers? 

The problem with school security IMO is facility design.  Older schools still being utilized back then when they were constructed were not and did not have to be designed with active shooters in mind. You've got many outer buildings away from the central campus building to consider as well like band halls, ag buildings, fieldhouses, and gyms just to name a few. 

There are 22 entrances to Mineral Wells High School... I am in favor of permanently locking about half of those entrances... but we will see...

47 minutes ago, 4to3 said:

Won't work?  Who said that?  The meme points out that even the most decorated, experienced soldier can lose to an idiot with a gun.  I'm looking forward to reading the proposed training curriculum for teachers.

Sniper missions and guarding a school entrance aren't even remotely the same thing ... are you really that ignorant? ...

• Mr. P changed the title to 💥 Battle over the Second Amendment
  • Mr. P locked and unlocked this topic