Art Briles First Practice at Mount Vernon (Post-Practice Audio)

Smoaky

2 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Don’t think it’ll be as much of a circus as most will think. 

In fairness, he did seem like he just wanted to be able to coach but unfortunately todays media climate will likely make that difficult at times. I was very intrigued by his comments regarding other potential opportunities. Almost sounded like he would be up and gone in a heartbeat if something bigger and better came along. 

14 minutes ago, chevyman said:

In fairness, he did seem like he just wanted to be able to coach but unfortunately todays media climate will likely make that difficult at times. I was very intrigued by his comments regarding other potential opportunities. Almost sounded like he would be up and gone in a heartbeat if something bigger and better came along

I think that's a given here.

Not a Mount Vernon person myself, but I doubt anyone would be surprised if he leaves after a couple years. I mean, let's get real...  while taking a gig at a 3A school in rural East Texas is a step up from semi-pro in Italy, it ain't exactly the heights he's known. Surely being a small town high school football coach isn't his "retirement plan." Not being snarky against the good people of Mount Vernon, just being honest. 

My guess is that Briles spends two (very successful) seasons at MV, then accepts an offer at a D-II program OR a cellar-dwelling D-I program. I'll be shocked if he spends more than three seasons at Mount Vernon. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AKA said:

I think that's a given here.

Not a Mount Vernon person myself, but I doubt anyone would be surprised if he leaves after a couple years. I mean, let's get real...  while taking a gig at a 3A school in rural East Texas is a step up from semi-pro in Italy, it ain't exactly the heights he's known. Surely being a small town high school football coach isn't his "retirement plan." Not being snarky against the good people of Mount Vernon, just being honest. 

My guess is that Briles spends two (very successful) seasons at MV, then accepts an offer at a D-II program OR a cellar-dwelling D-I program. I'll be shocked if he spends more than three seasons at Mount Vernon. 

Exactly. Mount Vernon took the hiring hit from the social justice media, so if Briles puts in his two years(?) he’ll be 65. That’s still young enough for some non power 5 college to come calling. What better way to sell yourself than as a repentant coach who went down to the high school level, for the love of coaching, get that rebound college job and ride it off into the sunset?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Baylor gave him his retirement plan with that 18 million dollar buyout. 

Granted, but what's more important to a football coach than money? 

Briles is already playing with house money. But that's not why he's doing what he's doing. 

53 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I’d think it would be a nice sentiment if he stuck with MV. They did something that the big names, hell the mediocre names, wouldn’t do and give him a second chance. That’s just me though. It’s a beautiful area. Beautiful lake homes. He’s no spring chicken. I’m sure the last few years have been hard on him health wise. Either way I hope MV has success under him and he can rebuild his image. They’ll be some that will always be hateful even though from what I’ve read he’s been vindicated. 

+100000000

I would love to see him stay in MV or maybe get back to Stephenville would be a heart warming story for the man. I do not think he wants anything to do with college high school is where he made is fame and if I was him id go out on top in 3A or somewhere like Stephenville. 

Make a legacy in Texas HS football is better than some mediocre college team

• Like 1