Dak Prescott Turned Down $30m, Wants $40m

I don't think he's worth $20 million a season.  I know the going rate though, and they made him a solid offer.  I would not go any higher than that.  If he holds out trade him or let him sit.  He thinks he's worthy of the highest contract ever in the NFL he's crazy.  I don't even think Russell Wilson is worth $35 million, but he's got a ring and been twice to the big dance.  If Dak sticks by his guns then I'm out as a fan on him.  He'll be like Dallas Keuchel waiting for someone to sign him.  

• Like 1

The offer on the table would make Dak the 6th highest paid quarterback in the league. https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/  .  I don't think Carson Wentz is worth  $30 million either, but he's making $32.  He hasn't proven he's worth that much.  As shown by the chart on that website, there are almost every quarterback in the league being over paid considering other talent and positions in the NFL.   Zeke is far more talented than Dak, in my opinion and he deserves $15 million.  I think this is just players getting greedy, and looking out for them, and not the team as a whole.  I know Zeke has had some off the field issues, but place clauses in his contract in regards to those.  We haven't been to an NFC title game in 23 years, it will be 24 this year.  Then we also have Amari who is in a contract year.  How are we going to even make the playoffs when we can't afford to pay other key cogs on both offense and defense ?  It's illogical.  We're two years away from the next CBA agreement, who knows what will happen then.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

He's not a even a top tier QB ... and top tier QBs don't make that much ... I thought 30 million was out of line for what he has shown so far ... where is Nick Foles? ....

See the link I posted in my last comment.  Foles is at $22 million with the Jaguars.   

22 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Make him go to arbitration, he won't get anything close to 40 million ... he might get 25-30 ...

I like the idea of franchise tagging over two years versus $40m. No way in Hades I’d pay Dak that. Give me the two years, prove what you what you are, and then either re-sign him or move on to a younger, cheaper QB. 

Dak needs wide open receivers AND a running game for him to have decent stats.  Pay him $40 mil and the money for other top notch players is gone and you have scrubs blocking and/or scrubs catching for him - then his stats will be bottom 8 in the league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Dak needs wide open receivers AND a running game for him to have decent stats.  Pay him $40 mil and the money for other top notch players is gone and you have scrubs blocking and/or scrubs catching for him - then his stats will be bottom 8 in the league. 

If you give him 40 million a year, those scrubs just might not block as hard for him either ... I say let him think about it until his current contract expires and then either force him into arbitration, or draft another QB, or franchise tag him ... No way I pay him over 30 with Elliott still unsigned ... not gonna happen ... he's overplaying his hand, big time ... if Elliott was signed and happy, it might be a different story .... nah, he's not worth over 30 million and I think that is stretching it about 5 million ...

What would Brady do? ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Dak will settle at around $32-34 mil.  they just aren't in a hurry right now, so they are all playing games.

Looks to me like Elliott is serious ... if Jerruh makes him the odd man out this year and the Cowboys tank after he over pays Prescott, it will set back their chances of a being a  legitimate playoff contender for quite a while ... I still believe Elliott is the key ingredient to their playoff future.  Prescott is no better than an average QB at best without Elliott in the backfield.  Seems to me Zeke is holding a pair of aces in the hole with another one showing ...

8 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Looks to me like Elliott is serious ... if Jerruh makes him the odd man out this year and the Cowboys tank after he over pays Prescott, it will set back their chances of a being a  legitimate playoff contender for quite a while ... I still believe Elliott is the key ingredient to their playoff future.  Prescott is no better than an average QB at best without Elliott in the backfield.  Seems to me Zeke is holding a pair of aces in the hole with another one showing ...

The thing is he doesn't, he's only got a pair of deuces and the Cowboys hold three Aces.  He's locked for the next two years.  If he holds out, he's still locked for two more years until he decides to report.  So it's a no win situation for Zeke, except to hold out, and hope that he's not fined by Dallas.  This isn't a free agency year for him like it was Bell last year.  So only he can decide if he wants to play.  He could retire, but he wouldn't even receive retirement benefits from the NFL, since he didn't play the required 4 years.  So he's stuck.  The thing is the offense is dependent on Zeke for many reasons.  We don't have the receiving corps that other teams have.  We have one possible star, and a young Michael Gallup.  Gallups numbers aren't going to go up this year without Zeke taking pressure off the secondary.  Currently I've seen the Cowboys listed as the #11 receiving corps in the NFL, but it shows Allen Hurns as the #4.  https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/5/30/18635928/nfl-wide-receiver-corps-power-rankings-team-2019  .  I have them ranked 32nd without Zeke.  

Yes, the offense is dependent on Elliott, that's why he has a lot of leverage even though he is still under contract for two years.  If Jerruh doesn't renew his contract early along with the other two and he holds out for a significant part of the season, the whole team will look bad, especially Jerruh  ... Jerruh had better come up with a plan that satisfies Elliott too ... if he over pays Prescott, it's going to only compound the issues with Elliott  ...

Jerruh can find another QB a lot easier than he can find another top tier RB ...

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

Zeke has to play in 2019. His contract makes it impossible for him to sit out like Bell did. Because Zeke has two years left on his deal, if he sits out 2019 ($3m salary) that doesn’t count against his contract. Two year contract is a two year contract. His contract will get bumped back. Instead of being a free agent in 2021, he’ll be one in 2022. 

Russell Wilson’s Extension has been thrown around as what Dak’s camp wants. $26m, $31m, $32m, $37m and a option for $39m or only a $13m dead cap if they cut him. That’s a $35m average with $107m guaranteed.

Here’s an example of a deal by KD Drummond that would average out giving Dak $29m per year with only $87m guaranteed on a 7 year deal. That’s with very team friendly deals in ‘19, ‘20 and ‘21. Your still off $42m to get him to average $35m like Russell. $6m per season is a solid backup or the difference in keeping a Byron Jones versus drafting his replacement. Stephen and McClay would have to keep up their draft magic for that to happen.

71E523FA-60C0-4C74-99F9-1112EE4AB88D.png

24 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Zeke has to play in 2019. His contract makes it impossible for him to sit out like Bell did. Because Zeke has two years left on his deal, if he sits out 2019 ($3m salary) that doesn’t count against his contract. Two year contract is a two year contract. His contract will get bumped back. Instead of being a free agent in 2021, he’ll be one in 2022. 

Zeke's timeline has already passed (Aug 6). At this point, he could play every game in 2019 and it still will not count toward his 5 year contract. So at this point, his only bet is to get a new contract. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

They are crazy if they give him anything close to 40 million a year .... I would let him walk and draft another one just like him next draft  .... 

The only ray of hope I see is that the guys in his draft class aren’t getting $40m. Goff is getting $32m per with his new deal. Wentz is getting $32m per with his new deal. That’s the 1st and 2nd pick in the draft. Dak was a 4th rounder. That’s the market for Dak. It’s not $40m. It’s not $35m. It’s $32m on the high end, $30m- $25m on the reasonable end.

• Thanks 1