old school offenses

Destry

2 hours ago, Destry said:

Do you foresee more old school offenses this year than in the past? 

I heard Shelbyville was ditching the single wing and going back to the spread. Joaquin is sticking with the slot-T. I think the rest of Shelby County will be in some version of the spread. 

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I heard Shelbyville was ditching the single wing and going back to the spread. Joaquin is sticking with the slot-T. I think the rest of Shelby County will be in some version of the spread. 

I like to watch the slot - t style offenses.   They are great when you are moving the ball and controlling the game, not so much when you are behind and in a time crunch with the clock .... 

9 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

What’s considered old school these days? Slot, wing of course...... but what about split back? Offset I, I?

Seems like those could be considered old school with the “spread” mindset this day and age. 

I consider any system that puts at least 6 men on the LOS with their hand in the ground to be old school. 

21 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

What’s considered old school these days? Slot, wing of course...... but what about split back? Offset I, I?

Seems like those could be considered old school with the “spread” mindset this day and age. 

Agreed EB, any offense that isn't a Spread is old school these days. 

Just now, TxBroadcaster said:

At this point i time the Spread is an old school offense with how long it has been around now lol

Had a coach tell me not long ago that it did not matter the caliber of athletes, you could run the spread with any kids. Yea, I think he is in quality control now with some small canadian college.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

3 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Carlisle going double Wang...you heard it here first..gonna be inneresting..js 

Hey Chain, want me to do you up an avatar? Make your profile nice and purdy, look something like this: 
BXgWWWl.jpg

Whattya think? 

Dead T, Wishbone, Power I, Split Veer, Two back split pro, Two back pro I, Double wing. I have always enjoyed watching well executed run offenses. Options, traps, misdirection, sweep pulling guard, power sweep....never been a fan of the spread. 

Just now, action10 said:

Dead T, Wishbone, Power I, Split Veer, Two back split pro, Two back pro I, Double wing. I have always enjoyed watching well executed run offenses. Options, traps, misdirection, sweep pulling guard, power sweep....never been a fan of the spread. 

Amen, thats what I'm talking about!!Can I have a witness

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Destry said:

Had a coach tell me not long ago that it did not matter the caliber of athletes, you could run the spread with any kids. Yea, I think he is in quality control now with some small canadian college.

Bosqueville knocked us out of the playoffs a few years back. Their kids didn’t look like great athletes. But their receivers ran precise routes, the QB three very accurately, and the O-line was big and strong and stayed on their blocks extremely well. I think we held them to their season low in points and yardage, but they played well on defense too and beat us 21-20. 

4 hours ago, Destry said:

You can run the spread with any kids, you just might not win 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ronnyham said:

You can run the spread with any kids, you just might not win 

59 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

A lot of times it’s more about the Jimmys and joes than Xs and Os. 

I am a spread guy, but I want to spread it out to run the ball. You can still have an effective ball control offense in spread formations. You dont have to encourage all eleven defenders to be in the box.

16 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I am a spread guy, but I want to spread it out to run the ball. You can still have an effective ball control offense in spread formations. You dont have to encourage all eleven defenders to be in the box.

I agree completely. There are a lot of different schemes out there, all of which have their strong points. The key is execution. Regardless of the scheme, a well executed system with average athletes will beat a team full of all-stars that play sloppy 8 times out of 10. The biggest thing I like about us running the slot-t is the fact that it is extremely difficult to prepare for, especially when most of the teams on our schedule only see it once a year. It is dang near impossible to retool a defense that is set up to defend the spread into a unit capable of getting consistent stops against a well executed power run game in three days of practice. LBs who spend the whole season working on pass coverage and chasing down jet sweeps tend to have a hard time adjusting to stuffing the traps and counters that are out bread and butter. 

A few years ago I know a coach that retired because his team was in the spread, their opponent was in a 3-4. He said it was time to quit when he looked out on the field and out of 22 players on the field only 2 had their hand on the ground. The nose and center.

• LOL! 2

On 8/13/2019 at 10:08 PM, trueblue82 said:

Sounds like he forgot who brung him to the dance