Scrimmage Week: Texas High at Longview

LoboFan07

Alright it was a scrimmage folks.

Not one single comment on the fact Longview played somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 + players !

Longview 38 Texas High 7

Was it pretty...no ! 

Does Longview have work to do...yes ! (So does everyone else)

The single biggest thing for me was the fact that the Defense... especially the front seven will be a team strength !

Most all of the "mistakes" are definitely correctable !  False starts...dropped passes...all are coachable and definitely the type of things that can be fixed.

The offense was obviously very vanilla...HK will be THE leader as usual. Absolutely no worry there.

Kaden will be alright at TB...no need for concern there. Jones and M. Haynes will grow at FB.

The TE position will be a strength. They'll be good in the running game as well as opening up the pass.

WR's...Kearby, Hopkins, Moore, et al...check !

Finally, I'd keep JD Williams busy and on the field ALL OF THE TIME. He's a "difference maker" (in space) with the ball in his hands ! He's the ACE !!

Seriously, he's going to be good for 2 or 3 BIG plays every game !!

The O-Line is a work in progress and Corners are sure to be tested. Pierce and Jackson will be fine in the Secondary.

Onofreo "should" be a nice weapon on long FG tries as he definitely has a strong leg !

Everybody needs to take a deep breath and relax... really !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyJohnson said:

Alright it was a scrimmage folks.

Not one single comment on the fact Longview played somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 + players !

Longview 38 Texas High 7

Was it pretty...no ! 

Does Longview have work to do...yes ! (So does everyone else)

The single biggest thing for me was the fact that the Defense... especially the front seven will be a team strength !

Most all of the "mistakes" are definitely correctable !  False starts...dropped passes...all are coachable and definitely the type of things that can be fixed.

The offense was obviously very vanilla...HK will be THE leader as usual. Absolutely no worry there.

Kaden will be alright at TB...no need for concern there. Jones and M. Haynes will grow at FB.

The TE position will be a strength. They'll be good in the running game as well as opening up the pass.

WR's...Kearby, Hopkins, Moore, et al...check !

Finally, I'd keep JD Williams busy and on the field ALL OF THE TIME. He's a "difference maker" (in space) with the ball in his hands ! He's the ACE !!

Seriously, he's going to be good for 2 or 3 BIG plays every game !!

The O-Line is a work in progress and Corners are sure to be tested. Pierce and Jackson will be fine in the Secondary.

Onofreo "should" be a nice weapon on long FG tries as he definitely has a strong leg !

Everybody needs to take a deep breath and relax... really !!

Folks in Texarkana want to know if Texas High will be better.

17 minutes ago, 68Hornet said:

I believe the Tigers will be improved. 

They appear to be well coached, play hard AND have a number of talented players on both sides of the ball !

I think they definitely can be a playoff caliber team if they can develop a running game to go along with their passing attack  and of course, stay healthy !

7 hours ago, 68Hornet said:

Yes. They will. Most definitely better. There is talent there and that #10 is going to be hard for opposing teams to deal with at defensive end. 

They played hard and will have good film to make improvements this week. I bet they will look a lot better next week. 

T High’s biggest fault will be their line. They had absolutely zero rushing game (again that might be because our D line is going to be one of our biggest strengths). But we were in the backfield every single play it felt like, without blitzing or doing anything of the sort. Give yalls QB some time to throw and no doubt y’all will be better.

As said above, #10 will be tough for teams to stop.

53 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

Lufkin scrimmage details?

Really not much to say. As we all know, you don’t see much in a scrimmage.....at least on offense. Defense really impressed me though, considering we lost 5 or 6 talented starters last season. They dominated the first team offense of Huntsville. And got a few ints and several sacks. I was surprised at our new defensive line stepping up. They aren’t as big or talented as last season, but they made plays and put pressure on the Huntsville Qb. Their running game didn’t get much of anything too. I was proud of that side. But it’s still just a scrimmage. We all know they will get tested for all four quarters against a very good John King lobo running game and offense. And I’m happy about it. It’s something that we’ll need going forward. 

As for the offense and special teams, i guess like 07 said, it was similar to what happened in the Lobo scrimmage. I was impressed at times and shaking my head other times. But i could see the potential. It’s mostly on the offensive line. They are new and need time to get it all together. It’s a huge offensive line.....to me anyways.  Just need to gel on one side really. And maybe I’m not giving enough credit to the Huntsville defensive line. They have a lot of talent on that dline, similar to the team last year that dominated our oline at Abe. I can see the potential for both teams. When Moore had time, our passing game looked very good last night. We’re loaded at receiver again and the running game isn’t bad either. Caleb played well when he was in there (mostly in the live portion). Just hope they can all put it together and stay healthy.