Power Outage

Stoney

I'm seeing it from multiple friends in the East Texas area.  This is what I saw from one friend from Upshur Rural Electric Cooperative Corporation :  AEP has confirmed a that there has been an explosion that is causing the interruptions in power today.  We receive all of our power through their lines so this will effect everyone in our area and Longview.  I have also seen a post about it from a friend that lives in Chandler, TX but that's in Henderson County.  I don't have any problems here.  

11 hours ago, Stoney said:

Cousin took this picture in Gilmer last night.

A0FC20CF-96DE-4EC5-9E55-E15455E1BBD1.jpeg

Ahh, Gilmer, TX the way it was pre -1990 after 7 pm, unless the Yamboree was in full swing.  I can remember about the only businesses open after 9 pm were a few gas stations and Sonic when it first came to Gilmer in the early 80's on 155.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

Ahh, Gilmer, TX the way it was pre -1990 after 7 pm, unless the Yamboree was in full swing.  I can remember about the only businesses open after 9 pm were a few gas stations and Sonic when it first came to Gilmer in the early 80's on 155.  

The old Sonic was so much better than the new. The food was better. The service was better. Wasn’t there two Dairy Queen’s in Gilmer? One by the old ABC near 155, then the one by Yazell’s?

5 hours ago, Stoney said:

The old Sonic was so much better than the new. The food was better. The service was better. Wasn’t there two Dairy Queen’s in Gilmer? One by the old ABC near 155, then the one by Yazell’s?

There was, but they were closed by 9 pm back in the day.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKA said:

I'm not sure which was more fun: scrolling through social media following the 2016 election, or watching people absolutely lose their minds over brownouts this weekend. 

I sort of got tired of it.  Back in the 70's and 80's it wasn't really a big whoop when the power went out.  We weren't dependent on electronic devices so it just wasn't a big deal.  We rarely ran our AC anyway, and just opened up a a window at night.  True, towns were smaller back then and traffic on neighborhood streets stopped around 7 pm.  If it was still daylight outside kids didn't notice, because that's where we always were anyway.  I do remember my Mom had candles in case the power went out at night, but we had a gas stove and oven so there was still food that we could eat.  What's funny is even when the power went out, the landline phone still worked.  We weren't addicted to being on the phone then.  So we'd still play board games or cards back then for entertainment.  As I've said before, if kids were sent back to that time period today, I'm not sure how long they could last.  It seemed like many adults today couldn't handle it either.  

20 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I sort of got tired of it.  Back in the 70's and 80's it wasn't really a big whoop when the power went out.  We weren't dependent on electronic devices so it just wasn't a big deal.  We rarely ran our AC anyway, and just opened up a a window at night.  True, towns were smaller back then and traffic on neighborhood streets stopped around 7 pm.  If it was still daylight outside kids didn't notice, because that's where we always were anyway.  I do remember my Mom had candles in case the power went out at night, but we had a gas stove and oven so there was still food that we could eat.  What's funny is even when the power went out, the landline phone still worked.  We weren't addicted to being on the phone then.  So we'd still play board games or cards back then for entertainment.  As I've said before, if kids were sent back to that time period today, I'm not sure how long they could last.  It seemed like many adults today couldn't handle it either.  

I’m with you there, Dave... aside from the oppressive humidity that comes with this East Texas Heat, We were fine. Like you, We have a gas stove, so eating was no issue. We sat outside to catch the few breezes that provided a measure of relief. We had charged our devices in our vehicles, so staying up to date with the progress the power company was making was easy enough. I have enough dry food on hand, along with about 9 cases of bottled water & canned goods enough to live on for six or eight months. I wish this brownout would have happened in Fall or Winter... I would have been fine.