Week 1 Carthage @ Jacksonville

PantherNation2015

It’s the grand re-opening of the historic Tomato Bowl!  Carthage comes to town off a 14-1 campaign in 2018 losing to Liberty Hill by 3 in the State Semifinals.  The Dawgs brings back 6/8 starters respectively including a pair of Arkansas commits ATH Kelvontay Dixon and OL Ty’kiest Crawford as well as preseason All State LB Rayvon Ingram.  Jacksonville was 3-7 in 2018 playing all games on the road during renovation /construction of the football stadium.  The Indians return 5/4 starters respectively.  Jacksonville should be fired up to play their first true home game since the 2017 season.  Let’s get it started!  Who you got?

Selfishly I want a close game.  Because we have Carthage 2 weeks later. 

For jacksonville.... abd the tomato bowl I want a win. 

But reality is telling me it will be UGLY EARLY.  Hope not.  But it’s what I expect. 

4 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

But reality is telling me it will be UGLY EARLY.  Hope not.  But it’s what I expect. 

Hey, first game of the season with Jacksonville opening the new and improved Tomato Bowl.

No telling man, those Indians may be all jacked up and the Dawgs May sputter a bit with a brand new QB on the road.  QB’s first varsity play will be in front of an excited crowd back in their home for the first time in over a year.

I think it’ll take Carthage until half time to get fully settled in and firing, maybe even into the 3rd quarter. That’s why I picked Carthage by 17 not 38.

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Not sure what Jax returns in the way of OL, DL and DB’s.  I know they had some D1 kids last year in the secondary.  The Indians will have to match Carthage in the trenches and they will have to contain Dixon and Williams and keep them in front.  Surratt is going to throw a lot early to work on the timing with a new QB.  If Jax can make some plays at DB and force some 3 & outs it could be a tight game into the second half.  Or it could be like the 2018 game and Carthage could be up 28-0 in the 1st quarter. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

Not sure what Jax returns in the way of OL, DL and DB’s.  I know they had some D1 kids last year in the secondary.  The Indians will have to match Carthage in the trenches and they will have to contain Dixon and Williams and keep them in front.  Surratt is going to throw a lot early to work on the timing with a new QB.  If Jax can make some plays at DB and force some 3 & outs it could be a tight game into the second half.  Or it could be like the 2018 game and Carthage could be up 28-0 in the 1st quarter. 

Yep

I think Jax was hit pretty hard by graduation......

It's been a few months ago since I heard this....but I was told they lost a couple to transfers too...... which ones tho?  QB?  RB?  WRs?  

They were already kinda thin..... if they lost some of their blue-chip players.... that's gonna sting.

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

It's been a few months ago since I heard this....but I was told they lost a couple to transfers too...... which ones tho?  QB?  RB?  WRs?  

They were already kinda thin..... if they lost some of their blue-chip players.... that's gonna sting.

That doesn't bode well for the indians if that's the case.  I remember what the Dawgs did to them last year. Silver linings though!  I drive by the stadium almost daily and let me tell ya,  it looks awesome!

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Seems like I read somewhere on one of these threads a LB transferred to JT.

3 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Carthage just seems to reload year in and year out now, so they win big.

It’s because we play 15-16 games every year, play a lot of Soph and Jr players that are ready early and let the others move up for the extra 5-6 games in the playoffs and get varsity snaps in the 3rd and 4th quarters.  Some of the Sr’s this year have been involved in 46 games in three years with a chance to get to 62 in their careers. Plus all the extra practice time in Nov and Dec when other kids are starting basketball.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:42 PM, DAWG91 said:

That doesn't bode well for the indians if that's the case.  I remember what the Dawgs did to them last year. Silver linings though!  I drive by the stadium almost daily and let me tell ya,  it looks awesome!

Do they at least have a parking lot? 

16 hours ago, Pack007 said:

Do they at least have a parking lot? 

Technically yes.  The area on the visitors side that used to be behind fence has been opened up and made into a parking lot.  Not very much space though and i suspect that it will be filled pretty quick by busses etc.  If you want one of these spots you better get there early.  There may be more parking but if there is, i'm not aware of it.

Oh, and gimme the Dawgs by 20

• Like 2